Fly fishing

Started by Zohn, January 12, 2009, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fly fishing for Rainbow Trout is FANTASTIC here in New Zealand.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on January 14, 2009, 04:55:37 PM

Yes!  I've seen a slide show presentation.  New Zealand is gorgeous and so are the trout.  Do you have any photos to share, carruth?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

'Ahhh, long last, a neighbour, someone that speaks same tongue, how are you Carruth? Hows them 'Snapper' in NZ? Save some of them trout, will ya'? They'll be migrating to Australia soon, 'Kamati! kamati!'
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on January 14, 2009, 03:54:15 PM
95% of time is spent on finding that sweet spot which amount to 99% of time removing "Lures' from the tree branches.   :humour:
Cheers
fongie
:roll :roll   :+1: So true mate! specially at low tide hey? - getting those jigs and long-lipped-divers from the mangrove roots?!!  :cheers
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: carruth on January 14, 2009, 04:55:37 PM
Hey Carruth!!! the Tri-nation-circle is complete now  :bgrin: with you, Fongie and myself - I believe there are some mean trout in Kiwiland - especially in the South Island??
Getting geared for the Super -14 season as well?  :+1:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

'The ANZAC's are ready'
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on January 15, 2009, 12:42:48 AM
'The ANZAC's are ready'
Cheers
fongie

I've heard the fishing in Tazmania is quite good....
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Yes Randy, very good indeed, actually Tazzies, got one of the most beautiful sceneries, very cold, trout country. I use to travel to a little country town on the out skirt of Brisbane, called 'Inverell' in NSW, and I would set camp in a sheep station, in a shearin' shed, in the most remote, wild rugged terrain, wild boar country, hot, 1800 acres of bush and go fishin' for a fish we called 'Murray Cod', an 'Icon of Australia' A big cod weighing up to 40lb, very territorial, not a good fighter, but heavy. Using lure, and casting every few metres under fallen trees and branches. Catching and releasing these 'Icon's of Australia', gives you the most thrilling experience, a real pleasure. These fish were once thought to have been extinct in the Murray River, but thank the "Good Lord", they are still found in alot of small country streams and rivers. I would never reveal my secret location to these beautiful fish.
Cheers
fongie

Sorry no photos,spent my time fishing the Tongoriro River and Waitahanui River.The Brown and Rainbow trout were introduced from North America back in 1800 and something and they have thrived in NZ ever since.The trout think Lake Taupo is the sea so they live there in the fresh water running up the rivers to do the reproductive thing.We like smoking them using Manuka wood.Great life,even take my L03 Walnut along for the ride.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: fongie on January 15, 2009, 04:32:56 PM
Yes Randy, very good indeed, actually Tazzies, got one of the most beautiful sceneries, very cold, trout country. I use to travel to a little country town on the out skirt of Brisbane, called 'Inverell' in NSW, and I would set camp in a sheep station, in a shearin' shed, in the most remote, wild rugged terrain, wild boar country, hot, 1800 acres of bush and go fishin' for a fish we called 'Murray Cod', an 'Icon of Australia' A big cod weighing up to 40lb, very territorial, not a good fighter, but heavy. Using lure, and casting every few metres under fallen trees and branches. Catching and releasing these 'Icon's of Australia', gives you the most thrilling experience, a real pleasure. These fish were once thought to have been extinct in the Murray River, but thank the "Good Lord", they are still found in alot of small country streams and rivers. I would never reveal my secret location to these beautiful fish.
Cheers
fongie
Fongie, Are you on the north or south Island? And when I visit you kiwi's will you take me to the fishin hole?
  I think I just remembered you are an Aussie. Sorry bro. Anyway my wife sure wants to go to N.Z. we have many friends who live there and a few in Australia also. Maybe some day. Cash is shrinking all over the world though, and we may be limited to N. America for a bit.

Quote from: Randy_R on January 12, 2009, 12:16:08 PM
I've been trout fishing most of my life, and will use a fly rod at times, but am not a purist, as I'll also use a light spinning rod.

I'm fishing in north Georgia now after fishing in Missouri, Maryland and Michigan where I lived previously with a hiatus for the years I lived in central Texas.

I used to tie my own flies.

A local chapter of Trout Unlimited meets nearby, and I've been thinking about going to one of their meetings just to see what is going on with them.
In Missouri, I always enjoyed the trout fishin at Merimac Springs, some nice lunkers there. "Rainbows".

Quote from: dependan on January 15, 2009, 08:01:23 PM
           In Missouri, I always enjoyed the trout fishin at Merimac Springs, some nice lunkers there. "Rainbows".

Fished there many times. Went to college at Rolla Missouri about 30 miles away. I used to try to schedule college classes so that I had Tuesdays and Thursdays free to go to Merimac Springs for some fishing. Also good about 45 miles south was Montauk  at the headwaters of the Current River.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on January 15, 2009, 08:31:03 PM
Fished there many times. Went to college at Rolla Missouri about 30 miles away. I used to try to schedule college classes so that I had Tuesdays and Thursdays free to go to Merimac Springs for some fishing. Also good about 45 miles south was Montauk  at the headwaters of the Current River.
I am from Rolla, I love all the springs and spring fed rivers around there. My Granfather would fish for trout in the Little Piney when I was a small boy. Lots of great places to fish around those parts, just too many fishermen now.

'Aaahhh!! Dependan, lucky you, that you got your bearing right....'We are we and they are they"  :humour: Aussies and Kiwis might be neighbours, but there's a big rivalry between us. 'How ya' goin', Carruth? Hows them smoke Fish?' (They're alot bigger then us, these Kiwis) Gotta' keep on the good side  :humour:
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on January 15, 2009, 10:17:13 PM
'Aaahhh!! Dependan, lucky you, that you got your bearing right....'We are we and they are they"  :humour: Aussies and Kiwis might be neighbours, but there's a big rivalry between us. 'How ya' goin', Carruth? Hows them smoke Fish?' (They're alot bigger then us, these Kiwis) Gotta' keep on the good side  :humour:
Cheers
fongie
Fortunately no rivalry coming from Africa  :humour:
My oh my, you guys sure know how to test me don't you? I need to visit too many shores to pluck a string and dip a fly, I guess I can start doing them one at a time hey? Danny, I think I'll start with you, and work my way up North. Fongie, have you got a better idea?

Yep!" I'll let you 'BIIIIGGGG Fella's" sort it out, I think I'll take my 60kg frame and just sit on ma' side of the fence with a six pack  :beer and mind my own business.
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: dependan on January 15, 2009, 09:03:43 PM
   I am from Rolla, I love all the springs and spring fed rivers around there. My Granfather would fish for trout in the Little Piney when I was a small boy. Lots of great places to fish around those parts, just too many fishermen now.

I fished the Little Piney and Big Piney several times. Canoed down them too. I've thought about retiring back to that area, but I've gotten spoiled by the mild winters here in Georgia.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

One of my best friends just called, and we started talking about fishing, we may head down to the coast and do some redfishin', of course the flounder and trout would be welcome in my ice chest too.

Man, Dependan, I would love to take you to my country of birth, 'Kavieng, New Ireland, Papua New Guinea' a real paradise. You hear of 'Hawaii' or 'Tahiti', but Kavieng would just blow you away. I'll take you to all the surrounding islands, crystal clear water, white sands, beautiful reefs, rain forest that will blow you away, coconut trees swaying in abundance, and fishin', 'WOW!' man, you'll get so sick of it. There are choices of fish , by the thousands to choose from....'Travellies, Mackeral, reef fish, tuna, marlin, lobsters, crabs, sea shells, to name just a few, we have it all. By the time you head back to the States, you'll be so sick of eatin' seafood. You will never dream of such beauty and relaxation, the sound of waterfalls and cold running streams, and views of mountainous rainforest, only the fortunates can witness. So when can you go? Don't forget the Lav., the people there love their music.
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on January 16, 2009, 09:16:19 PM
Man, Dependan, I would love to take you to my country of birth, 'Kavieng, New Ireland, Papua New Guinea' a real paradise. You hear of 'Hawaii' or 'Tahiti', but Kavieng would just blow you away. I'll take you to all the surrounding islands, crystal clear water, white sands, beautiful reefs, rain forest that will blow you away, coconut trees swaying in abundance, and fishin', 'WOW!' man, you'll get so sick of it. There are choices of fish , by the thousands to choose from....'Travellies, Mackeral, reef fish, tuna, marlin, lobsters, crabs, sea shells, to name just a few, we have it all. By the time you head back to the States, you'll be so sick of eatin' seafood. You will never dream of such beauty and relaxation, the sound of waterfalls and cold running streams, and views of mountainous rainforest, only the fortunates can witness. So when can you go? Don't forget the Lav., the people there love their music.
Cheers
fongie
WOW