Best Strings on Larrivee??

Started by willnorvell, February 20, 2008, 01:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you guys think are the best strings for Larrivee guitars? I tried Cleartone strings on my OM-19 and didn't really like them. Got some Elixir mediums on there now, and they seem better.

What do you guys use? Particularly folks who have OM models.

Elixir in the moment, on D-05 12..  :nice guitar:

OK for now...

Of course, as Mr. Ford said, the best strings are new strings....

Currently I use Martin SP 80/20 Custom Light (11/52) on both my OM's. I like a little brighter tone, and have a light touch (fingers only, no picks) and find the lighter strings are more responsive on both my Hog Top and my Sapele/ Sitka.

I agree with supernaught.........new strings are the best, I change mine about every 4 weeks.

Try a bunch and se what works for you,

Gary
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

I use Elixir Nano light Pbs on my om...change them every 4-5 months....takes aboput 3-4 days for them to setle in then then sound good.

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I went to the store to get D'Addario's and they were out so I got Martin SP (mediums).  They sound pretty nice.  The B and E strings are bronzed like the wound strings so it looks pretty cool. :ph34r:

Anybody try the bluegrass setup from D'Addario or Martin?  They have a light gauge E and B string and gets up to mediums on the upper strings.
Larrivee L-05
CS Custom Shop Strat
Estrella Japan Dread (sentimental)

I run the D'addario PB lights (ej16) on an OM-03 and L-03R. They sound fine.

I also have a set of Elixer Nano's on a Seagull. I can't kill these strings. Been on the gull since Christmas and has seen daily play even at the beach. They are about 3x the cost but they do hold up. Note: I did not like the Elixer Polywebs. Too thick feeling.
Be Prepared...

I just sold a OM-03MT that loved the D'addario 85/15.
I found them at Sweetwater last year for $2.89 a set and bought few sets to try out and I was really surprised at tone that came out of the OM-03MT.
My second choice would be the Martin SP 80/20 Lights/Mediums

I did a search and found some on ebay. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAddario-85-15-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings13-56-Box-of-4_W0QQitemZ220180872383QQcmdZViewItem
Ruben

Newtone Masterclass are definitely worth a try. I used to use light D'addario Phos Bronze but have now switched to the Newtones in 12 - 56. They're rich and full of overtones, so might be a bit much if you strum a lot rather than flat/fingerpick.
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

I have used the Cleartone Bluegrass sets for about 2 years with my DV-09 and other than breaking the B 3 times in a row, no complaints. With that said, I get such a whopping over using them when mentioned on the forum I have to admit I have convinced myself to put on a set of  D'Addario EXP17's with a PL015 (B) and a PL011 (E) substituted for the .017 & .013 that came with the set. I stayed with the wound .026 (G) after trying a lighter gage because I like the balance and feel next to the .035 (D) when picking, and strummed I think the blend is better overall with that combination. I blew through a couple sets trying different gages but this seems to be working right now for me. They do seem to sustain a bit better than the Cleartones, we'll see how long they last against my acid paws. I'm weak I know, beat into submission with the tide of public distain for a string I liked, but I may go back again too? Especially if my cheese cutter gets dull. (Sorry, reference to a previous thread)  :winkin:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Dean Markley PhosBronze
Larrivee DV 03RE
Webber Roundbody EIR/Engelmann

:+1: for the Newtone Masterclass,   when I can afford them.

ds :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

:+1:   :+1:  = 2 for Newtone Masterclass Phosphor Bronze.  I would also add John Pearse strings as lower priced good choice. 

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

John Pearse. After putting a set on my Larrivee I've never given any other strings a second thought.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I like the Martin SP's (P-Bnz) as well, only I use the 12.5's. Nice compromise between lights and mediums. D'Adds are nice too, but I've become spoiled on the 12.5's.

John A.
Midland, TX

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her front and back over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

GHS phosphor bronze light guage.

QuoteI like the Martin SP's (P-Bnz) as well, only I use the 12.5's. Nice compromise between lights and mediums.

I just found these strings and I think that they are great.
Ruben

Quote from: willnorvell on February 20, 2008, 01:36:08 AM
What do you guys think are the best strings for Larrivee guitars? I tried Cleartone strings on my OM-19 and didn't really like them. Got some Elixir mediums on there now, and they seem better.

What do you guys use? Particularly folks who have OM models.

Depends on the guitar and the sound you want. I liked Daddario EJ-16's on the L-03 I had but I use only 80/20's on my OM-03MT; either regular light Martin's, Martin SP light/med  or Eric Schoenberg's light/med, and JP lights are good too

Quote from: rrgguitarman on March 03, 2008, 10:17:03 AM
I just found these strings and I think that they are great.

I don't know why, I talk about em everytime one of these threads comes up!

Quote from: max on February 20, 2008, 08:43:13 AM
Anybody try the bluegrass setup from D'Addario or Martin?  They have a light gauge E and B string and gets up to mediums on the upper strings.

Yeh they're alright but I have no need for the A and D string to be that heavy. Those 2 strings end up feeling too tight compared to the rest.

Because my OM05 stays in DADGAD, I have gone to GHS TM (True Mediums), great price and these are specifically for alternate tunings--plus I'm shopping local, GHS are made in Battle Creek, MI!  But mainly, this guitar just loves these strings.
Otherwise, I am surprised to see no one mention D"Add. EXP's.  I have tried so many other brands (except Newtone) and always come back to EXP's--they have as good a sound as the reg. D'Add's and last a long time.  Remember though, it also depends on how you play; fingerstyle vs. strum, plectrum vs. fingers, angle of attack on strings, sweatiness/acidity of your hands, etc.  And then it seems each individ. guitar will "choose" its own for your combined sound.  :guitar

QuoteI don't know why, I talk about em everytime one of these threads comes up!

Darn! I have to find a way to find more free time during my 16 hour work day to pay closer attention... :humour:
Ruben