Any Love for Don McLean?

Started by JamesN, June 09, 2013, 07:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We saw him last night in concert. His voice is still incredibly strong for a guy nearing 68. He played with a band, which surprised me (electric guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard). I hadn't seen him live since the 70s, and the two previous times I saw him he was solo.

I wish that he had also played his banjo last night, but he stuck to acoustic guitar. Looked to be a Martin dreadnaught of some sort, but our seats were pretty far back so I can't be sure. The sound was not great, but that was the engineer's fault and not McLean's or his band's. The crowd was small -- theater was only about 2/3 full, which made me sad. But at least they were enthusiastic and appreciative.

He did a few songs solo or with minimal band accompaniment, which was nice. Empty Chairs and Homeless Brother and a few others.

McLean was one of those musicians who got me hooked on acoustic guitar way back when. I still remember transcribing many of his songs note-for-note by slowing down his 33-1/3 LPs to 16. I don't think anyone would regard him as a virtuoso guitarist, but his accompaniments were always interesting and tasteful. There is usually some nice counterpoint going on in his fingerpicking arrangements, playing off the vocal.

Anyway...good to see him still out there making music.

Vincent is a beautiful song. Wonderful lyrics. I often play a Chet Atkins fingerstyle instrumental arrangement of this tune.
Glad you got to see him last night.
68 not so old.(it's the new  67 1/2.)

I believe he lives right here in Maine, but can't remember the exact area.  I remember him from a long time ago.  What's the album with the red, white, and blue thumb on the cover?  I have it somewhere...
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: old folky on June 09, 2013, 06:46:52 PM
What's the album with the red, white, and blue thumb on the cover?  I have it somewhere...
American Pie :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

... how that music used to make me smile

That American Pie anthem of his might've been the first "top 40" song I learned on the guitar way back when...wow. That was a long time ago. Just been asked to (re)learn Vincent for an upcoming and looking forward to that. Always thought his music was kind of unique back then.     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Saw him a  couple of years ago for the first time live. Wonderful performance. Great writer and performer. He has his own signature Martin guitar.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 09, 2013, 06:59:22 PM
American Pie :?
Quote from: ducktrapper on June 09, 2013, 07:04:57 PM
... how that music used to make me smile

Ha ha, how silly of me.   :arrow  great stuff!
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: tjmangum on June 09, 2013, 10:25:44 PM...He has his own signature Martin guitar.

McLean had 2 dreadnoughts with him when I saw him this past Saturday. The second one just sat on a stand for the whole show and was never played -- McLean just carried it away after his encore. I can only presume it was a backup in case he busted a string or something.

Thanks for the link, Quee. The alliteration and rhyme scheme are a pleasant puzzle to piece together with the pace of this poignant ballad (for me).
An inspired portrayal of one of my favorite artists.

Yeah, thanks for the link Q. Ahhh Mr. Chet; that man's gift on a guitar always makes me smile.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

You can get a rise out of any crowd around my age by playing a decent version of American Pie. If you can remember the lyrics it's always a hit that everyone will sing along with. A great song that has stood the test of time. Vincent on the other hand, I have to say, I find kind of twee and more than a little boring.  :doh  

Just shows to go ya'; one man's poignant is another man's syrup.

I have an old dog eared Don McLean Anthology and he looked like he was playing a 12 fret slope shouldered Martin with a slotted headstock and a D-35 in several photos. 

Here's a classic from his "Tapestry" album called "Three Flights Up." Listen to the lyrics carefully and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1PLmjYwDw

Quote from: naboz on June 10, 2013, 11:38:00 AM
Just shows to go ya'; one man's poignant is another man's syrup.

Ayup. I guess I'd have to ask if Van Gogh would have liked it.  :laughin:

I was listening to a few of his tunes today.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 10, 2013, 09:14:43 AM
You can get a rise out of any crowd around my age by playing a decent version of American Pie. If you can remember the lyrics it's always a hit that everyone will sing along with. A great song that has stood the test of time.  

I was in Pusan, South Korea years ago.  We were ashore just before sailing for Team Spirit--a month long exercise of landing the Marines, done regularly pretty much just to tick off the North Koreans.  Anyway, I was in a very crowded sailor bar when this came on the jukebox.  Every sailor and Marine in the place stood up and belted out the words to the entire song at the top of their lungs.  The few Koreans in the place just looked bemused and maybe a little bewildered.  It was kind of a cool moment.
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin