Freight Train - L-01 - Video

Started by orsino, April 08, 2004, 08:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orsino, what chord shapes do you do use in the 2nd part of the song when you jump up the neck and then kind of cascade down? That way I don't have to trial and error it.

Here's a tip a pretty good fingerstyle guitarists gave me....when you'd be singing "goin' so fast" the second time, and you're playng a C chord, walk down  the low E string (fret 3, 2, 1) then hit the E chord. It's kind of cool.

I like your alternatin' bass....A string and D string. I gotta do that!!  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

QuoteOrsino, what chord shapes do you do use in the 2nd part of the song when you jump up the neck and then kind of cascade down? That way I don't have to trial and error it.

Here's a tip a pretty good fingerstyle guitarists gave me....when you'd be singing "goin' so fast" the second time, and you're playng a C chord, walk down  the low E string (fret 3, 2, 1) then hit the E chord. It's kind of cool.

I like your alternatin' bass....A string and D string. I gotta do that!!
giggler,
Oh I like that walkdown a lot! Thanks for the tip.

Chord forms for the descension....

C-form 8th fret
C-form 6th fret
C-form (drop middle finger from D) 5th fret
C-form (drop middle finger from D) 3rd fret
First position C

Thanks for responding. I was in my room playing Freight Train, and came in, logged on to see if you'd answered....I wrote it down, and am goin' back now to try it out! Awesome! Later, Orsino  ;)  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

You can bring your L-01 to my house and play.  I"ll buy the beer.

Tom,
Very nicely done. I would hope to be half that good someday. I can't quite tell from the video if you are using fingerpicks or not. I see the thumbpick. Also would you care to comment on the differences between your L-01 and the OM-15 that you had? I'm still looking to upgrade from my gull folk for this type of music.
Thanks-Jack

QuoteTom,
Very nicely done. I would hope to be half that good someday. I can't quite tell from the video if you are using fingerpicks or not. I see the thumbpick. Also would you care to comment on the differences between your L-01 and the OM-15 that you had? I'm still looking to upgrade from my gull folk for this type of music.
Thanks-Jack
Thanks Jack. I use a Fred Kelley speedpik on my thumb and nails and flesh on fingers.
The all mahog. guitars (like OM-15) are really unique in tone. But they are more woody and resonant than one with a spruce top. The spruce top with mahog b/s gives a more immediate tone with a woody undertone as well. Would be nice to have BOTH of these tools on the belt if you can afford.

Tom, when I try to open your link, all I can get is a window which opens and displays what looks like code. I see that it is a .wmv file. What is the trick for opening the link? Thanks..Steve
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

Steve,
Do you have a Mac?
If so you can download a free version of Windows Media Player directly from Microsoft here....
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sx/default.aspx
If not, be sure you have the latest version of WMP for Windows

If not, some others have also indicated having trouble opening. A friend says that it has something to do with the codec used for recording. I'm looking into it. Sorry you can't view.

Lookin' fine; loaded fine for me at home.  Tom, I think we would have some good time playin' around!  One of these days I will be able to post an MP3 or video to get some feedback on my playing  <_<

naboz

p.s. You live in Fla?  It would be a great excuse to getaway when I go down to see my parents (Clearwater)!

My friend Cams on another forum posted the following for those not able to open the video....

I think you need to upgrade to the latest version of Windows Media Player in order to view these videos. I've had similar problems with videos I've made, and they work fine in WMP 9.0. I agree that it's a PITA to have to upgrade software, but it seems that Windows Movie Maker 2 doesn't give us the option to make things backward compatible. Don't thank me, thank Mr Gates

Try upgrading to WMP 9.0 and it should work.

Alternatively, there is a nice little media player called VLC Media Player that is a smaller download and seems to play pretty much everything, things that even WMP has trouble with:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

May be worth giving that a try before downloading the hefty WMP 9.0 upgrade.

Cams

Bravissimo! :D   Do you have this tabbed out for us mere mortals?  I would like a crack at it too... But I aint as good as you by far...

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Thanks Mike. I'm going to do a short video lesson. I didn't have time this past weekend.

Do you have a tab or know where I can find the tab and your picking pattern for the Water is Wide?  I like the mp3 version better than the video...

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Tom,
I got the video to open finally. I use Mozilla as a web browser and it would not open the file in Windows Media Player. I tried it again from Internet Explorer and it worked just fine. THis may be just another one of those little things about Microsoft that ticks people off. ANyway, the video is great. Thanks...STeve
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

Nice video a little les vol so it doesn't distort and why can't we see your face.....hmmmmmm.......tryin to hide or somethin.......hhmmmmmmm........ B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Rob, yeah still on a volume learning curve. Video software doesn't provide a lot of flexibility for audio. At least cheap software like I use. And yes I'm hiding. She looked older than she was.

Thanks Steve.

Mike, WIW is my own arrangement. No TAB. Sorry.

Very nicely performed song.  for some reason i don't see any video on my media player but that's some very fine playing...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor