Taylor Guitars

Started by Darrell111, August 18, 2006, 03:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am not one to dismiss change, but when a neck is in two pieces, there is going to be a sacrifice in tone. I am impressed with the design and applaud the tree saving that it allows. I would definitely pay between 500 and 750 for the guitar. I love my Garrison and it sounds fine with its multi-piece neck. it didn't cost me 2k. it also doesn't sound as good as my friend's Martin D1228. Change is one thing, if it has the right intentions. In the 80s I had a composit Steinberger that looked like a boat oar. Impervious to temperature, could hammer in a railroad spike and would support a 200lb man laid across two chairs...it didn't sound as good as my Fender j, though.
Larrivee O-01MH 2000
Larrivee P-09 EIR 2006
Larrivee P-09 BZ 2006
Martin Backpacker 2003

Quote from: magnummic on September 02, 2006, 01:07:37 PM
I am not one to dismiss change, but when a neck is in two pieces, there is going to be a sacrifice in tone.

I'll have to disagree with you on this statement. Classical builders have been using scarf joints (not as strong as a finger joint) at the headstock and buildups at the heel as the standard method of building for centuries. I don't think that anyone can offer scientific evidence that the Taylor fingerjoint will have a negative impact in this area.

I can understand the reluctance to accept this change from an aesthetic point of view, but structurally it is stronger and sonically it is benign, IMHO.
Ron

Quote from: JasonA on September 02, 2006, 12:05:21 PM
Sapele is an african mahogany, but african mahogany is not necessarily sapele. The african mahogany mentioned is probably khaya.
I'm not at all sure what you are alluding to, JasonA. Perhaps you are aware of other species that someone somewhere referred to as African Mahogany, although I am not, but flaggerphil  had said that Taylor was attempting to glamorize mahogany by calling it sapele. That's simply not the case. they are different species. They call it sapele because it is sapele; not mahogany. they use the term "African mahogany" to describe sapele because they look similar and their properties are somewhat similar.

Quote from: magnummic on September 02, 2006, 01:07:37 PM
I am not one to dismiss change, but when a neck is in two pieces, there is going to be a sacrifice in tone. I am impressed with the design and applaud the tree saving that it allows. I would definitely pay between 500 and 750 for the guitar. I love my Garrison and it sounds fine with its multi-piece neck. it didn't cost me 2k. it also doesn't sound as good as my friend's Martin D1228. Change is one thing, if it has the right intentions. In the 80s I had a composit Steinberger that looked like a boat oar. Impervious to temperature, could hammer in a railroad spike and would support a 200lb man laid across two chairs...it didn't sound as good as my Fender j, though.
in the ranking of those things affecting the tone of the guitar which would certainly  include strings, saddle, bracing, top material, even back and sides, a two-piece neck joint would be so far down the list as to be negligible.
If your Garrison doesn't sound like a D1228 other factors just might be responsible for it.

Quote from: Queequeg on September 02, 2006, 01:21:47 PM
I'm not at all sure what you are alluding to, JasonA. Perhaps you are aware of other species that someone somewhere referred to as African Mahogany, although I am not, but flaggerphil  had said that Taylor was attempting to glamorize mahogany by calling it sapele. That's simply not the case. they are different species. They call it sapele because it is sapele; not mahogany. they use the term "African mahogany" to describe sapele because they look similar and their properties are somewhat similar.

The 200 series is sapele. The 300 series is "african mahogany", which is probably khaya. You have to go up to the 500 series for american mahogany. I was only referring to the fact that the african mahogany in question is not actually sapele, though sapele is sometimes called african mahogany. Clear as mud, eh?

Quote from: ronmac on September 02, 2006, 01:18:36 PM
I'll have to disagree with you on this statement. Classical builders have been using scarf joints (not as strong as a finger joint) at the headstock and buildups at the heel as the standard method of building for centuries. I don't think that anyone can offer scientific evidence that the Taylor fingerjoint will have a negative impact in this area.

I can understand the reluctance to accept this change from an aesthetic point of view, but structurally it is stronger and sonically it is benign, IMHO.

CNC machines can cut wood to such close tolerances now that joints are created which are stronger than the wood alone.

E. Shoaf

ok i"ll jump in.  its been well known for many years that wood laminates and finger joints are much stronger and less prone to warpage for gun stocks than solid wood.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

True enough, but some guitar makers use laminate necks that are actually attractive...  :thumb

Quote from: HangFire on September 02, 2006, 11:24:36 AM
Taylor has a great marketing machine :rolleyes:, I have that video, not impressed.

I was not impressed when they pulled their support of the old Taylor forum because people on the forum started complaining about their highly touted ES pick-up system. Instead of addressing the problems of ES they disallowed the use of their name on the forum... :<>

JMO based on my observations.
i get that you are not a taylor fan. fair enough. im not necessarily a "convert" myself, but they do make a great product. they just do. personal preference doesnt change the fact. anyway...

bob taylor in that video did a pretty cool experiement showing how strong the joint was/is. again, maybe the jury is still out, but i thought it was pretty interesting and it would certainly not deter me from their product. but, the tone of their instruments and the price tag will.

and whats this about taylor pulling out of a forum?

Quote from: Randy_R on September 02, 2006, 04:53:36 PM
ok i"ll jump in.  its been well known for many years that wood laminates and finger joints are much stronger and less prone to warpage for gun stocks than solid wood.

Very true, some of the best gun stocks are laminates!

Quoteand whats this about taylor pulling out of a forum?

A billion years ago there was a "Taylor" guitar forum (not affiliated with Taylor guitar) that was pretty cool, BT would even stick his head in every once in awhile and post. Long story short, people started complaining about the new Taylor ES pick-up system (DOA type of stuff) with frequency on the forum. Anyway Taylor denied any problems then low and behold the "Taylor" forum had to change it's name. The rest is history... :yawn
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

I guess I was not being clear. I think that taylor is a fine guitar with fine construction methods and a fantastic marketing method. Asthetically they are very attractive and their tone is wonderful. I enjoyed the ones that I played and find them to be good sounding through an amp as well. I don't think they should cost as much as they do. THe fact that they do is fine, I will get my guitars from someone else. As far as the Garrison comment, obviously there are other factors. I was not being clear. My point was that if the Garrison had the same appointments as the d1228 and the multi piece neck, I personally would not pay a 2k price tag. I am sorry that I was not clear.
Larrivee O-01MH 2000
Larrivee P-09 EIR 2006
Larrivee P-09 BZ 2006
Martin Backpacker 2003

but when a neck is in two pieces, there is going to be a sacrifice in tone.

Balderdash!
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on September 05, 2006, 07:34:15 AM
but when a neck is in two pieces, there is going to be a sacrifice in tone.

Balderdash!
"poppycock"

Taylor guitars are satanic. Bob Taylor is actually Osama Bin Laden. Taylor is starting WWIII with their evil robot army. Bob Taylor is the boogy man. I wonder why he and Jean Larrivee are good friends?

Quote from: jimmyd on September 05, 2006, 09:10:58 AM
Taylor guitars are satanic. Bob Taylor is actually Osama Bin Laden. Taylor is starting WWIII with their evil robot army. Bob Taylor is the boogy man. I wonder why he and Jean Larrivee are good friends?

Are you affiliated with Fox news?  haha

I don't think the fingerjoint changes tone.  However, even if it is a stronger joint, big deal, I just don't like the way it looks, and will probably not own another one because of it.  As far as pricing, the Taylors seem a bit overpriced to me when compared to Larrivees.  A Taylor 310 is hundreds more than a Larrivee D-03, and the D-03 has a more balanced tone IMO.   The whole Taylor brand dropped a few notches in my book when they did this neck technology and then squashed the internet sales, I lost all interest in Taylors at that point, after owning 3 of them.  YMMV.
D-02E

You're showing off a guitar with a sky blue neck and you're worried about a finger joint??!!!  That's just sick!
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Darrell111 on September 05, 2006, 10:13:22 AM
Are you affiliated with Fox news?  haha

Yeah, because Dan Rather would NEVER make up false documents about our  president's military service record and get fired for it.  Oh wait, he did.  And when did a fox news reporter do anything remotely close to that?  Good luck coming up with something.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on September 05, 2006, 12:44:13 PM
Yeah, because Dan Rather would NEVER make up false documents about our  president's military service record and get fired for it.  Oh wait, he did.  And when did a fox news reporter do anything remotely close to that?  Good luck coming up with something.

Wow dude, what is your malfunction?  Seriously!!! You are one atagonisic person R&R.

This thread is about Taylor guitars.  Can we please stay on course? :thumbsup

roknroll I have sent you a PM.

Steve