If Larrivee Revved Up The Custom Shop

Started by sacredground, February 25, 2005, 07:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If Larrivee really got their custom shop rolling again... Providing choices in top woods, inlay, etc.

1. Do you see yourself as ever placing an order?

2. How long would you be willing to wait for a custom guitar?

3. Would you be inclined to choose Larrivee over another    
   manufacturer's custom shop?

I wonder if it's possible to do another forum guitar:an L or OM with rosewood and engleman?

Jason--any thoughts on this?

Do I smell revolution in the air?! :P  

"...when love comes to town gonna jump that train" --B. B. King

SD-50 Commemorative
Goodall walnut-engleman CJ
Charis madigascar-cedar SJ
Loriente Isabel pau ferro-german Classical

I love Larrivee and Martin both and will most likely mainly choose from the two until I am able to afford (or more precisely, justify) a Froggy Bottom or Greven.

I would probably order a custom from Larrivee

Martin Custom usually quotes 2 to 6 months on their customs.  After watching Larrivee turn around the Forum 12 fretters, I think they could beat Martins times considerably.  Martin is the behemoth here relative to Larrivee

I would definitely choose Larrivee custom over others

ideas:

12 fret L

custom neck width (fretboard width) I would love a Gibson 1 23/32 on a Larrivee

000-50 mahogany top, 00-50 mahogany top

D-50 mahogany top with 1 23/32 fretboard

stainless steel frets

exotic woods - myrtle, walnut, sycamore, magnolia (!?! probably too soft), lacewood, ebony (for b/s), pine (jesse brace has built with Georgia Pine - supposedly real nice)

short scale guitar (really getting out there now)

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130

I have been wanting a Larrivee OM with 1 7/8 nut for a long time now.......I would really like a deep bodied OM (maybe an extra 1/2 inch) but I know that isn't very likely as I probably changes everything in the build process.  
Am I to understand from your post that Larrivee isn't doing any custom instruments right now?   I guess I wasn't aware that was the case.......
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

I actually have a custom on order from Martin now. If I were to do a Larrivee custom I would do something simple. How about an OMV-03MT with an abalone rosette, no electronics, 24.9 scale, yeah!

jc :P  
jc

QuoteI actually have a custom on order from Martin now. If I were to do a Larrivee custom I would do something simple. How about an OMV-03MT with an abalone rosette, no electronics, 24.9 scale, yeah!

jc :P
That does sound nice!
Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130

Mmmmm..short scale. & 12 fret...great idea! Perhaps in a OO or OOO

Rick
LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

No, I doubt I would use Larrivee's custom shop.  
But it is fun to dream. ;)

If I could call up Jean and order my dream Larrivee... right now it would be a 13 fret LS.  I would choose either walnut or mahogany back and sides with a wood rosette to match.  I would be tempted to look into different tops - but if Jean said sitka is the best then that is cool by me.  It would have the blue purfling from the california series.  Blank fretboard except for something original at the 12th fret.  1 3/4 nut with standard scale length.  Bone nut and bone "through" saddle.  

That would keep me happy for a long time.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

I have a Martin D28 and a Larrivee OM-03R on the way.

If everything goes according to plan, those will be the last guitars I ever buy. I am just starting to make my own and the plan is that when I want a new one, I'll make exactly what I want.

Jim

Quotethose will be the last guitars I ever buy.
We don't like that kind of talk around here.  :P  
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

12 fret OM, L, and LS bodies

Original Larrivee rosette to replace abalone.

...I'm easy...hey, I LIKE everything else about my current Larrivee's...what's to change?!

;)  
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

We'll never make it to #100,000 unless you buy MORE.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

We'll never make it to #100,000 unless you buy MORE.
The last guitar I'll ever buy. I'm on my sixth " last" guitar in the previous 12 months but I should get a credit for trading/selling three of those supposed forever keepers. When I get that slope dread or 000 of my dreams I'm sure that will be the last guitar I'll ever buy. Right. Sure. Believe me.