"older" Parlors Vs. "newer" Parlors

Started by PeterG, June 30, 2004, 08:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm seriously thinking about buy a Larrivee Parlor Guitar.  I don't live anywhere near guitar shops so I rely a lot on my own research prior to going to where I can try out guitars.  Can Forum folks respond to some or all of my questions?

(1) It appears that Larrivee is phasing out one line of Parlor Guitars (O-03, etc.) and introducing a newer line (P-05 & P-09).  Besides a standard hard shell case and a gloss finish, what's really different.  The pictures lead me to believe that the "fit/finish" has improved.  Any comments?

(2) Are these newer Parlors available.  I've yet to find any guitar vendor on the web who has anything but the older models.  If they're not available, does anyone know when they will be in (web or brick/mortar) stores?

(3) Does anyone have first hand experience with the newer Parlors?  If so, care to comment?

HI there and welcome to the forum, Ive owned several Satin finish Parlors and own an All Koa satin Parlor right now that will be priyed out of my cold  hands when I die.. anyways  I have spoken to several dealer's and there have been many posts on the forum about your questions and the easy answer is... except for the finish, pickguard, case and maybe some higher grade more figured wood the quality and  fit and finish is the same, Several dealer's that frequent this forum have the  Satin finish Parlor's right now in several wood combos at Incredible prices and also some of the newer 05 and 09 series... in any event you cant buy at any price a better Parlor size guitar than A larrivee.  Robb
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical

The new models are MUCH more expensive <_< . I wonder if they are making a good move there. Many people have bought the satin finished parlors as travel guitars or a guitar you can play on the couch when children are around etc., but that won't be the case anymore with the new models. Only parlor afficionados will buy these, and that's a much smaller group of potential buyers. Just my humble opinion, I'm not into marketing...  B)  

I did a little quick research on competitive builders pricing for Parlors.
Here's what I see for List Prices:

Collings $3550.00
Santa Cruz $3325.00
Goodall $3595.00
Froggy Bottom $4775.00

Larrivee $1455.00

Yes, some may have Adirondack tops or other extra appointments. But I think the New Gloss Parlors from Larrivee are a spectacular buy.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow Dave, you would put a Larrivee up against a Collings? You pretty much rule in my book...!
That's the kind of comparisons WE can live with!
Think of how many marriages you are saving with that comparison!!!
--Fred

I'm not sure its a valid comparison.  Maybe its better to compare new Larrivee parlor prices to previous parlor prices.  They have almost doubled in price!  Not that I don't appreciate the features.  I prefer a gloss finish and I like binding.  But I think that older parlor represents much better value.  Its a price point that Larrivee made a conscious decision to leave and I would expect others will fill it.

E. Shoaf

Well, "almost doubled" is overstating it a bit.

Figuring in a discount off list on the satin and gloss models, and that you're getting a hardcase that cost $70 before, it's roughly a $300 increase. Still substantial, and you may not have wanted the hard case, but it's not beyond reason.

For those looking for a lesser traveling guitar, there's always a Seagull or Simon & Patrick parlor.

QuoteFor those looking for a lesser traveling guitar, there's always a Seagull or Simon & Patrick parlor.
Tacoma is another option.  Their Satin Mahogany lists for $999.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Now for some detective work ....

robb:
You said "Several dealer's that frequent this forum have the Satin finish Parlor's right now in several wood combos at Incredible prices and also some of the newer 05 and 09 series... ".  Which dealers have the 05s and 09s?

guitaradoptions:
Do you have any P-05s and P-09s in stock?  Which woods?

Check with Dave at Guitar adoptions if he can put down his new secret guitar long enough lol and also check with jason  forum name guitarcrazy at Notableguitars.com

I have done buis with both and hold them both in high esteem...

If its your first parlor size.. I might suggest Mahogany ,blackwood, or maple... I first bought a rosewood but after playing the others.. I think that in this size body the other woods sound better esp when played hard....

Robb
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical

In addition to these two fine dealers, you should also check with unclrob at Andy's Guitars in Florida. I just bought a guitar from him and he was absolutely outstanding to work with.  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

i'll also vouch for jim holler at www.trinityguitars.com. i believe he has the satin rosewood in stock. i bought my wife's ls-05 from him. great transaction...and a very good guy.
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

QuoteNow for some detective work ....

robb:
You said "Several dealer's that frequent this forum have the Satin finish Parlor's right now in several wood combos at Incredible prices and also some of the newer 05 and 09 series... ".  Which dealers have the 05s and 09s?

guitaradoptions:
Do you have any P-05s and P-09s in stock?  Which woods?
Yes, Mahogany, Rosewood and Sunburst Maple!

http://www.larriveeforum.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=2&t=1867

Check out the  third reply....now that is some pretty koa on the new Koa Larrivee parlors!!!!  Me, I just bought a satin finished Koa with abablone...not gloss but not bad!  ;)  
Larrivee Satin Koa/Sitka Parlor...

I love the Larrivee parlors,  I've owned two, both satin finish.  IMHO you can't beat a Larrivee parlor! :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

I too love Larrivee Parlors. I am totally impressed with the sound parlor puts out. I mean for the size, it is simply amazing.

QuoteI too love Larrivee Parlors. I am totally impressed with the sound parlor puts out. I mean for the size, it is simply amazing.
Ah, glad to see you finally got yours!  

The sound is amazing, none of my friends can believe so much sound can come out of a guitar so small.  For a small  travel/couch guitar the tone is unbeatable.  None of the other smaller travel guitars even come close to the Larrivee parlor. IMHO :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

QuoteI too love Larrivee Parlors. I am totally impressed with the sound parlor puts out. I mean for the size, it is simply amazing.
Ah, glad to see you finally got yours!  

The sound is amazing, none of my friends can believe so much sound can come out of a guitar so small.  For a small  travel/couch guitar the tone is unbeatable.  None of the other smaller travel guitars even come close to the Larrivee parlor. IMHO :)
HF,
YOU got Private mail

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  Now I'm going to narrow things a bit.

I'm now interested only in the new, gloss-finished P-05 and/or P-09 Parlors.

Does anyone here own one?

Has anyone here ever played one?

Does anyone know of a store that actually has one available in stock?

I have a two-part theory that I'm working with.  That theory is that (1) the new Parlors only exist on Larrivee's web site and (2) all the stores are trying to dump the satin finish models before taking delivery of the new models and/or making the new models available.

Your theory is wrong I know for a fact that Dave at Guitar adoptions has both the satin and gloss models in stock in several diff wood types.

I have played a new 05 series glass Mah. Parlor, very beautiful... but the sound wasnt diff that any of the satin's Ive played or owned
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical