John Hiatt, songwriter hero

Started by StringPicker6, July 04, 2022, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know he's been mentioned before in this forum (thanks search bar!), but I just want to state that John Hiatt is a master songwriter and should be way more popular than he is. If you haven't heard it, I HIGHLY recommend his Last album with Jerry Douglas called Leftover Feelings.  Apparently, he used to play a larrivee, but not much info can be found on the interwebs.  I know he's a big Gibson player publicly/while playing live.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

He has written an amazing amount of material, lots of good stuff, but also some boring stuff - choruses repeated over and over and, dare I say it again, over! For example - I love you girl, love you girl. I love you girl, yes I love you girl, oh I love.....
I'm not sure who encouraged him to sing, he can be awfully hard to listen to at times.
However, there are moments - Crossing Muddy Waters, Feels Like Rain, Master of Disaster. And my all-time favorite: Down Around My Place, live at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Of course Joe Bonamassa's solo had no influence, none...  :rolleye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIA-xlkWwoo

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

I'd agree with you on that, Rob. He's put out a lot of albums, and you have to dig through some duds to find the gems. I have watched that Bonamassa video so many times! Fantastic video. But check out his latest, Leftover Feelings, if you haven't heard it. It's fresh and different from his other albums.  :thumb
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard Leftover Feelings yet. I'll check it out!
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)