New Guitar Question

Started by foleyone, July 27, 2021, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all, picked up a brand new Larrivee today that I had been waiting for for the past year. It looks beautiful and sounds like what I was hoping for.

My question is regarding the finish. I paid extra for gloss finish, which looks amazing, although there are two small spots, almost looks like perhaps dust/air bubble or glue squeeze out (although a light wipe with a soft cloth seemed to have no effect on it). It could also be a small scratch from the shipping as well.

Just wondering what my expectations should be around the finish? Should I expect it to be perfect or am I being overly picky about this? I tried to take pictures, but it doesn't show up well in them.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome and congratulations on the new guitar. We will need pictures and .... donuts.   :donut

Yeah, pictures would help. ( and donuts are nice ) Which model is it ?
What has the dealer you ordered it through said about it ? I'm assuming it was a *custom order* based on your statement of "paying extra for gloss finish" Have you spoke to the dealer about it? I'd also ask Larrivée about it. (dealer first though)
I've not encountered any finish issues on any of the Larrivée's that I've encountered, ( doesn't mean, it doesn't happen) and I've got a few.
:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Tough question.  I like perfection in new things.  I'll put my own scratches in it, thank you very much.  Also, you waited for a year.  That counts for something.  But if you love the sound, and love it in all other respects, then it's hard to know how to advise.  A dealer question, for sure.  Welcome to our little board, by the way.  I hope you like it here.

People's perception of issues can vary. If you can't capture it in a pic I'm inclined to say it shouldn't be something to fuss over.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I appreciate the feedback from ever. The one part looks like it may just be some dried on glue or something (I'm just afraid to try to rub it off). The other piece appears to be maybe an air bubble.

It's just because of the reflection on the gloss that makes it hard to capture the imperfection. It's definitely there, though, right around the bridge.

I contacted Larrivee directly, as soon as I noticed it just to make sure it's documented. Since it was a custom and not something sitting in the dealer's shop, I thought that made the most sense. Maybe I'll give the dealer a call in the morning as well. I'm hopeful it's can be fixed by a qualified luthier with a little buffing or something.

In any event, overall the guitar looks amazing, and I'm pleased to own a Larrivee guitar.

Looks like natural silking or bear claw to me.  :nice guitar:

1st question...  does it in anyway affect the structural integrity?  2nd...  does it in any way affect the sound or playability?  3rd...  is it something you'd have seen if you went into a shop and picked up the guitar to try or did you only notice it after examining every square inch of you eagerly awaited new guitar?  And, is it something that you'll ever see if you don't specifically look for it?

Part of me says...  yeah, it should be "perfect".  But part of me says, some things are inconsequential.

Tough call.  I hope it's something you can learn to accept.

Ed

How does she sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, as a fellow lefty, let me welcome you to the nuthouse--I mean, Forum!

It sounds like your dealer mailed it to you, you didn't pick it up in person? If you did pick it up, and have access to your dealer, I'd definitely take it back and show the dealer the finish issues. Otherwise you'll have to describe them over the phone or e-mail with the dealer, and offer any photo evidence you can (outside pics in direct sunlight might offer the best chance at getting the issues to show up). Maybe the dealer (and Larrivee) can work out a discount for you? Otherwise, you may have to send it back to have it resolved, which will be timely.

Larrivee's finish is tough (it's not a nitro or lacquer finish), so don't be afraid to use a guitar polish to clean the top and see if the areas might just be polish residue, etc. A bubble in the finish is definitely something that can't be rubbed out.

Best of luck and keep us posted.   :coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I don't want this to be overly negative. Just seeking information and managing my expectations, so it's helpful to hear your thoughts. It really is a beautiful guitar.

She does sound nice. Spent some time comparing it to my Taylor 114 last night, and while the Taylor is a well made guitar the Larrivee has a richness or fullness to it that is not present in the Taylor.

I've heard back from Larrivee support. They asked for photos. I was able to capture the marks a bit better with an actual camera as opposed to my iPhone and sent them the photos. I also noticed a similar little air bubble or something near the 5th fret that can be felt while playing last night, so I sent a picture of that along as well. I'll keep you posted.

I think the question about would I have noticed it in the store is a good one, and I likely would have. I was just so excited to take it home that I just picked it up strummed a few chords, looked at the neck, paid and raced home to play it.

Anyways, thanks again.

Looks like a beautiful Larrivee and I really hope you can get satisfaction for the issues you have found.  I cant begin to answer for Larrivee but I have talked to them often, especially when I was researching for my first guitar and recently when trying to learn the lineage of my most recent purchase.  They are good folk and seem to want to do the right thing.  Not sure that always means we get exactly what we might want but I do feel like they have always been fair, more than I can so for another maker that I went to for product support (un-named .. no need to sling mud).  Enjoy that guitar and wish you the best. 

Just wanted to take a minute to update this. Had a great experience dealing with Larrivee customer service who put my mind at ease. The dealer was helpful as well. Happy to say I've been playing and really enjoying the guitar. It's my first high-end guitar and I'm constantly amazed by how nice it sounds.

Going to have a K&K put in tomorrow unless anyone has alternative suggestions for pickups. I like the minimal aspect of it, and not having to deal with battery packs and internal preamps.

I have no idea how to make donuts, so hope this works below.

[

A K&K is a good sounding, low hassle, low maintenance choice. And it doesn't put something between the saddle and the bridge to impact the tone.

I have K&K's in several guitars. I do use a Baggs Venue to eq them a bit; other people use other eq-ing options to tweak the tone a bit.

Thanks for the donuts!

:coffee :donut :coffee :donut2
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992