Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Out There?  (Read 438 times)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 05:46:37 PM »

I have similar issues with new music, but I'm wondering how much I am to blame. My musical tastes have narrowed quite a bit over the decades to the point where the only music I want to hear is the same old-folkie fingerstyle stuff I play myself - which apparently no-one actually writes anymore. I've exhausted the back catalogue of the recent artists I've liked, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega, Jackson Browne, Eva Cassidy etc and have given up finding anything new.
Fans of Eva Cassidy (and I count myself among them) may enjoy Veronica Swift's "This Bitter Earth".
I find it to be at once both rich and spare.
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

Had a listen to The Cactus Blossoms. I liked the guitars, voices and the overall sound but have to say that none of their songs grabbed me. Reminded me more of Chris Isaac than the Everlys and, like Isaac, I liked the sound but couldn't name one of his songs. Have you listened to The O'Kanes and/or Keiran Kane? For me, highly recommended.
I’m not sure which Cactus Blossoms songs you heard, but I would recommend “Powder Blue” and “Mississippi” as _very_ catchy songs.  YMMV. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »

I’m not sure which Cactus Blossoms songs you heard, but I would recommend “Powder Blue” and “Mississippi” as _very_ catchy songs.  YMMV.  

I heard both. Maybe with further listenings but I'm not a big fan of that dreamy kind of stuff. I didn't hear a Wake Up Little Susie or Bye Bye Love. The Everlys brought in top notch songs from top notch writers. These guys have the chops. They may want to consider that. The song Don't Call Me Crazy was the catchiest thing I heard but, for me, the best songs have me wanting to learn them and I didn't hear anything like that.  
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 03:26:31 PM »

A man likes what he likes.  No harm in that.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »

A man likes what he likes.  No harm in that.

I didn't dislike them. They have a good sound. They may be the kind of thing that grows on me. They do sound a lot like the Everlys and that's not a bad thing. Seemed to me, however, that they needed a couple of up tempo, catchy hits. Maybe they have them and I haven't heard them yet. I mean, if I'd only heard All I Have to do is Dream, Devoted to You and Ebony Eyes I might think the same thing about Don and Phil.    
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »

Heard this last night on the hockey game of all places. Olivia Rodrigo. Interesting. She's been compared to and accused of stealing Elvis Costello's schtick. Language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tqpfjVhZtM
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 12:50:11 AM »

Jack White and The Raconteurs and Ricky SKaggs? There's one I wouldn't have predicted. Pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qahZ-whM6o
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 12:55:14 AM »

Mandolin Orange? Now renamed Watchhouse, apparently. This is very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHkyZ62jjQ
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2021, 12:58:59 AM »

If I search I can find lots of good examples of stuff like this but it's difficult to find anything sounding new. Most of this has been done before and arguably better.
musicrowscott

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2021, 01:42:17 PM »

Not sure what genres you gravitate towards, but I fill my Apple Music mostly with Indie Country artists and old rock/blues. There are some great artists in the Indie world, Jesse Daniels, Alice Wallace, Daryl Wayne Dasher, Dallas Moore, Brennen Leigh, Kelley Swindall, Zephaniah Ohora, Milly Raccoon, Charley Crockett, Travis Meadows, Joey Allcorn, Mac Leaphart...I could go on and on...if you really get desperate, check my stuff out. HA!

Cheers,

SS

Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »

Not sure what genres you gravitate towards, but I fill my Apple Music mostly with Indie Country artists and old rock/blues. There are some great artists in the Indie world, Jesse Daniels, Alice Wallace, Daryl Wayne Dasher, Dallas Moore, Brennen Leigh, Kelley Swindall, Zephaniah Ohora, Milly Raccoon, Charley Crockett, Travis Meadows, Joey Allcorn, Mac Leaphart...I could go on and on...if you really get desperate, check my stuff out. HA!

Cheers,

SS

Yes, I don't deny there's lots of good music to be discovered. I always search for something unique and different, however. I'd say the last thing I heard that fit that category was probably Dave Carter. I love Gillian Welch. It's been done before but never better. I'll look up some of the ones you mention.

I've certainly listened to your music Scott and enjoyed it. I tar myself with the brush I wield. It's all been done before. Certainly doesn't mean I can't or don't enjoy it or have fun doing it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2021, 04:59:45 PM »

Interesting convo, thanks all for the links & suggestions! This has gotten me to pondering the state of things a bit.

I don't know if the nature, variety and quality of music hasn't changed so much as how it has fit in my life during the decades. One reason my tastes has changed is that the role music filled is no longer what it was. I have vivid memories of proudly driving to my very first real job out of school to the wonderful Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" which got me hooked to their music and Mark Knopfler. My spectacularly unsuccessful efforts at "getting lucky" at weekend clubs was marked by the bands Genesis, but back then music was mostly something I had to have to listen to in the car driving to work. Who among us doesn't have a box full of 8-track, cassette and CD mix tapes of our favorite tracks to listen in the car?

Now a retired geezer, my car driving has fallen off quite a bit. More and more, at home,  I'll have business news, or a podcast on simply for background chatter - something I don't have to pay attention to but breaks the silence.

But one constant has remained - I'm a self taught guitarist and so I've always sought out guitar music I could learn from. The Beatles and Byrds inspired me to pick up the guitar, Clapton, The Allman Bros inspired me on how to play my strat, Knopfler taught me how to drop the pick, other artist have taught me how to construct a song. All that really trained my ear pretty well and improved my finger-picking chops but apparently my specific genre has faded in the marketplace. That's ok, I guess cause the top ten songs I listen to nowadays happens to be written by this guy "jpmist."

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »

Cheers,
SS
While I must confess that I'm not acquainted with most of the artists you listed above, I have to say that it's a fabulous collection of curiously colorful names there, on a par with some of the NPR appellations.
i.e.: Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson
Sylvia Poggioli
Yuki Noguchi
my personal favorite: Neda Ulaby

And I want to echo duck's remarks regarding your own music, Scott. Great stuff.  
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »

With regards to *new* music these days, I just wanted to say, ..................... "get off my lawn".  

Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2021, 06:03:40 PM »

With regards to *new* music these days, I just wanted to say, ..................... "get off my lawn".  

Yep. I still try to allow a couple of invited guests now and then as long as they don't drink all my beer or litter. 

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »

This is interesting in a insecure, moody sort of way. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8XoovSlsM
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »

The funny thing is, that as a poor songwriter, I always try to come up with songs that sound like songs that have been done before.    
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2021, 03:08:15 AM »

Cheers,

SS

Listened to a song or two from most of these. Can't and won't listen to the ones on Fakebook. I liked Brennan Leigh a lot. Charlie Crockett was interesting. Cool voice. Wasn't any I really didn't like but tell Zephaniah that Merle wants his voice back.  
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »

Interesting convo, thanks all for the links & suggestions! This has gotten me to pondering the state of things a bit.

I don't know if the nature, variety and quality of music hasn't changed so much as how it has fit in my life during the decades. One reason my tastes has changed is that the role music filled is no longer what it was.
This is a great insight, about how music fit into life during the decades.  It makes me realize how music was such a big part of youth.  We were discovering all this stuff for the first time, and it was happening while we were discovering a lot of other things for the first time.  No wonder the music of one's youth has such a lasting impact.  It's hard to get excited about some young guitar player because we've already been thrilled by Clapton, EVH, et al when we were kids, and as duck points out, it's all been done. 

Many times I find myself not even giving new and younger musicians a fair shot.  I'll see some young dude with cool clothes, the ubiquitous tattoos, holding some fancy guitar, and I'll already have my mind made up that I probably won't like his song.  And I usually don't.  But now and then I'm shocked.  But I have to realize (at almost 50) that what I'm seeing for the umpteenth time, some younger person is seeing for the first time; and the tattoo'd, cool clothes guy becomes the backdrop to this younger person's life and experiences.   It's just so hard to recapture those kinds of experiences as we get older.  And yet all the while, I know there are artists out there that I've never heard of that I would enjoy as much as I've ever enjoyed anything.  Just as there are great books I'll never read, wonderful places I'll never visit, etc.  C'est la vie. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »

This is a great insight, about how music fit into life during the decades.  It makes me realize how music was such a big part of youth.  We were discovering all this stuff for the first time, and it was happening while we were discovering a lot of other things for the first time.  No wonder the music of one's youth has such a lasting impact.  It's hard to get excited about some young guitar player because we've already been thrilled by Clapton, EVH, et al when we were kids, and as duck points out, it's all been done.  

Many times I find myself not even giving new and younger musicians a fair shot.  I'll see some young dude with cool clothes, the ubiquitous tattoos, holding some fancy guitar, and I'll already have my mind made up that I probably won't like his song.  And I usually don't.  But now and then I'm shocked.  But I have to realize (at almost 50) that what I'm seeing for the umpteenth time, some younger person is seeing for the first time; and the tattoo'd, cool clothes guy becomes the backdrop to this younger person's life and experiences.   It's just so hard to recapture those kinds of experiences as we get older.  And yet all the while, I know there are artists out there that I've never heard of that I would enjoy as much as I've ever enjoyed anything.  Just as there are great books I'll never read, wonderful places I'll never visit, etc.  C'est la vie.  

All very true except, it seems to me that music just is not as important in young people's lives these days. With free streaming etc. I don't think most have the interest or patience to actually listen to anything in its entirety. Heck, I don't. If you buy something, you'll at least give it a listen or two. Then there's auto tuning.    
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: