Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Out There?  (Read 437 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:16:10 PM »

This place is too quiet. Okay, I'll start. New music pretty much all sucks. I used to follow new releases pretty closely but I stopped due to the prior sentence. Sure, tried and true artists still make some good music but as for the rest? Heard it all before, done better. What am I missing? 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 04:45:56 PM »

Hello, Mr. Ducktrapper.  It's nice to have you back, sir.

I use a paid streaming service called Tidal (much like Spotify) and try pretty regularly to discovery new or new-to-me music.  It is hard, and most of what I hear I don't go back to for a second listen.  I go back to my old favorites a lot - Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Wilburys, etc, etc.  But sometimes I find it fun to pick an artist and go through their entire catalog.  I did this a while back with Foo Fighters, a band that's been around a long time but one I'd never paid much attn to.  It was great fun. 

Within the last couple years I discovered a brother duo called The Cactus Blossoms that I really like a lot.  They are basically a 21st century version of the Everly Bros.  Not only are the harmonies flat out amazing, but the songs are very, very good. 

I also recently discovered an Irish family group called The Corrs that's been around for a long time.  I love the harmonies, strong melodies, and the mixture of trad and contemporary instruments they use. 

I have also been listening to a Brit group some called Jet that have some good albums.  This is gritty rock and roll - like a mixture of AC/DC and Oasis.  Great stuff. 

There are others that have caught my attn, but these stand out the most.  I take long walks daily and love good music when I do.  There is a sea of music out there to wade through, but if you look long enough you'll find some good stuff. 
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »

I'm here 

Don't listen to too much music these days new or old.Mostly playing old tune's that I want to record for myself.Playing in two duo's of way different from each other with too vast style's I'm just trying to play as me.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 06:08:00 PM »

Hello, Mr. Ducktrapper.  It's nice to have you back, sir.

I use a paid streaming service called Tidal (much like Spotify) and try pretty regularly to discovery new or new-to-me music.  It is hard, and most of what I hear I don't go back to for a second listen.  I go back to my old favorites a lot - Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Wilburys, etc, etc.  But sometimes I find it fun to pick an artist and go through their entire catalog.  I did this a while back with Foo Fighters, a band that's been around a long time but one I'd never paid much attn to.  It was great fun. 

Within the last couple years I discovered a brother duo called The Cactus Blossoms that I really like a lot.  They are basically a 21st century version of the Everly Bros.  Not only are the harmonies flat out amazing, but the songs are very, very good. 

I also recently discovered an Irish family group called The Corrs that's been around for a long time.  I love the harmonies, strong melodies, and the mixture of trad and contemporary instruments they use. 

I have also been listening to a Brit group some called Jet that have some good albums.  This is gritty rock and roll - like a mixture of AC/DC and Oasis.  Great stuff. 

There are others that have caught my attn, but these stand out the most.  I take long walks daily and love good music when I do.  There is a sea of music out there to wade through, but if you look long enough you'll find some good stuff. 

Thanks, I'll have a listen. I've heard The Corrs but probably worth a double take. Like you, these days I tend to listen to tried and true things from my past. I'm to the point and age of not wanting to waste my time for the new rush. But I like to keep an open mind and always willing to be surprised and charmed.   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 06:09:45 PM »

I'm here 

Don't listen to too much music these days new or old.Mostly playing old tune's that I want to record for myself.Playing in two duo's of way different from each other with too vast style's I'm just trying to play as me.

I do as much as I can these days. I write and have a few new songs that I quite like but as for playing? Mostly fifteen minutes or so at a time because my hands start complaining that my brain is too optimistic. 
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 03:08:52 AM »

My hands,feet,knee's,hips,back and neck complain all the time I just stopped listening still play about an hour 5 times a day.Scotch and a mild pain pill a couple times  a week.Plus my nightly illegal smile keeps me going.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 03:59:24 AM »

Correction: Jet is an Aussie band, not British.   I probably listened to this song of theirs 30 times today:

https://youtu.be/UBOeDPzXBqI
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 04:07:25 AM »

Correction: Jet is an Aussie band, not British.   I probably listened to this song of theirs 30 times today:

https://youtu.be/UBOeDPzXBqI

That was alright. The Beatles influenced so many bands. Sort of reminded of Del Amitri. I always loved this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09Gd8KCfBo 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 04:10:55 AM »

My hands,feet,knee's,hips,back and neck complain all the time I just stopped listening still play about an hour 5 times a day.Scotch and a mild pain pill a couple times  a week.Plus my nightly illegal smile keeps me going.

Right on brother! Back in Canada. Enjoying good beer and Wiser's Deluxe. Too expensive though. It's Canada. 
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »

This place is too quiet. Okay, I'll start. New music pretty much all sucks. I used to follow new releases pretty closely but I stopped due to the prior sentence. Sure, tried and true artists still make some good music but as for the rest? Heard it all before, done better. What am I missing? 

I have similar issues with new music, but I'm wondering how much I am to blame. My musical tastes have narrowed quite a bit over the decades to the point where the only music I want to hear is the same old-folkie fingerstyle stuff I play myself - which apparently no-one actually writes anymore. I've exhausted the back catalogue of the recent artists I've liked, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega, Jackson Browne, Eva Cassidy etc and have given up finding anything new.

Back in the day I was reasonably diverse in the rock genre, listening to guys like Dylan, Donovan, Beatles, Procal Harum, Pink Floyd, Allman Bros etc. Now I wait until Mark Knopfler churns out another album every 4 years and half the songs I can't listen to more than once.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »

I have similar issues with new music, but I'm wondering how much I am to blame. My musical tastes have narrowed quite a bit over the decades to the point where the only music I want to hear is the same old-folkie fingerstyle stuff I play myself - which apparently no-one actually writes anymore. I've exhausted the back catalogue of the recent artists I've liked, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega, Jackson Browne, Eva Cassidy etc and have given up finding anything new.

Back in the day I was reasonably diverse in the rock genre, listening to guys like Dylan, Donovan, Beatles, Procal Harum, Pink Floyd, Allman Bros etc. Now I wait until Mark Knopfler churns out another album every 4 years and half the songs I can't listen to more than once.

I hear that. We have very similar tastes it seems. As for new music, maybe it's the bloody auto tuning but so much of it sounds the same. I watch some of Rick Beato's videos and he goes into some detail to explain why new music is so boring. 
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »

It's the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell's "Blue".
The young women who dominate popular music today don't even come close to what she did.
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 05:19:20 PM »

The young women who dominate popular music today don't even come close to what she did.

I have about 30 - 40 songs of her's in my iTunes. I enjoy her songs and writing, but her alternate tunings always kept me from learning her songs, so I never got to really appreciate her as much as I might have. It's all my poor fingers can do to know where to go in standard tuning - I have no hope with alternates.

I dunno, we have to let new generations have and enjoy their own discoveries, just like my generation did when we let the Beatles take over from Elvis. There are a lot of Taylor Swift fans who might disagree with you, but I have no horse in that race . . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »

Amen. I always said that she was the one young woman could hit the long ball with the big boys. I may have liked For the Roses even better. Or Court and Spark. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 06:38:25 PM »

I started watching Yellowstone on Prime this morning and saw the name of this band on a Marquee as one of the Duttons drove into town. Looked them up. Not bad. I liked the acoustic break.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/ryanshuperubberband
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 06:40:18 PM »

I have about 30 - 40 songs of her's in my iTunes. I enjoy her songs and writing, but her alternate tunings always kept me from learning her songs, so I never got to really appreciate her as much as I might have. It's all my poor fingers can do to know where to go in standard tuning - I have no hope with alternates.

I dunno, we have to let new generations have and enjoy their own discoveries, just like my generation did when we let the Beatles take over from Elvis. There are a lot of Taylor Swift fans who might disagree with you, but I have no horse in that race . . .
Of course you’re correct about each generation having their own best artists, but still, there are giants of an era. Like The Beatles. And Joni.
I’m well-acquainted with folks disagreeing with me. It’s been my lifelong companion.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 06:49:46 PM »

Of course you’re correct about each generation having their own best artists, but still, there are giants of an era. Like The Beatles. And Joni.
I’m well-acquainted with folks disagreeing with me. It’s been my lifelong companion.

I knew there was a reason I like you! I'm the nail that sticks up and won't stay down. 
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »

I knew there was a reason I like you! I'm the nail that sticks up and won't stay down. 
Brothers of different mothers.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »

Every Sunday I get an email from Pitchfork and it contains a link to albums I should listen to right now.  Here's the one I got today. Compare the albums by the young women to anything Mitchell did. Phew. Man.

https://pitchfork.com/news/9-new-albums-you-should-listen-to-now-tyler-the-creator-faye-webster-lucy-dacus-spellling-and-more
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »

Had a listen to The Cactus Blossoms. I liked the guitars, voices and the overall sound but have to say that none of their songs grabbed me. Reminded me more of Chris Isaac than the Everlys and, like Isaac, I liked the sound but couldn't name one of his songs. Have you listened to The O'Kanes and/or Keiran Kane? For me, highly recommended.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: