Forum III owners - input requested for new Forum VI

Started by mike in lytle, May 11, 2021, 10:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut2 :coffee
We need some help from Forum III owners, as we are looking at another LS-03 guitar as a new Forum VI. There is tons of input from "back then", and from an anniversary thread but this should be more specific. There is over 10 years of experience by Forum III owners and that is a lot.
1. Have there been any general technical issues encountered (in general)?
2. Rosewood owners - are you happy with the tone of the 12 fret?
3. Hog owners - ditto?
4. Problems with pickup installations (we are aware of K&K installation issues involving the bridge plate).
5. String spacing - are you happy with the 2-3/16 spacing at the saddle?
6. Anyone have problems with lowering the action and running out of saddle height?
7. Anyone encountering any issues about body deformation (neck angle, belly behind the bridge, humidity issues, for example).
8. Anything else not listed?
Any input would be welcome and appreciated.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I think we're all familiar with Larrivee quality. Are you concerned about something specific to the F3 or this general design? The questions just had me wondering.

Sorry if it comes across the wrong way as I'm not trying to be contrarian or anything. Nor, am I trying to shut down your questions. I'm just pretty trusting of Larrivee's design and build quality having owned a number of well aged Larrivees. They can sometimes need a neck reset but it's not specific to a particular Larrivee model and it's not super common.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 12, 2021, 12:53:40 AM
I think we're all familiar with Larrivee quality. Are you concerned about something specific to the F3 or this general design? The questions just had me wondering.

"That's a real purty guitar ya got there. I should get me one. How ya liking it?"

The only design issue is the bridge plate.
The Forum III has like 850 years of cumulative ownership by a group of people we can easily reach. Each Forum III is over 20,000 hours old.
That's a lot more ownership time than I have with my Larrivees. Maybe I'll learn something.
Mike

I have had my Forum III guitar since the day it was strung up at the factory.  #3 of 78. Lefty.  All mahogany   I have had no issues at all and it remains my favorite Larrivee.  I've owned several.  I did find that the ping tuners were, well, ping tuners ....and I didn't care for them so I installed a set of Waverly open back tuners on it.  It's a sweet guitar with a good low end due to the 12 fret join.  If you've seen a true Forum III you will notice that there are no fret markers except three dots (For Forum III) at the 12th fret.  This was my suggestion to make the guitar instantly recognizable.  I think it looks great.  Little things like that can make a standard model stand out just enough to merit a special designation such as a forum guitar. 

Quote from: tuffythepug on May 12, 2021, 06:23:55 PM
I have had my Forum III guitar since the day it was strung up at the factory.  #3 of 78. Lefty.  All mahogany   I have had no issues at all and it remains my favorite Larrivee.  I've owned several.  I did find that the ping tuners were, well, ping tuners ....and I didn't care for them so I installed a set of Waverly open back tuners on it.  It's a sweet guitar with a good low end due to the 12 fret join.  If you've seen a true Forum III you will notice that there are no fret markers except three dots (For Forum III) at the 12th fret.  This was my suggestion to make the guitar instantly recognizable.  I think it looks great.  Little things like that can make a standard model stand out just enough to merit a special designation such as a forum guitar. 
What kills me is that no photos are any longer available from back then, due to things beyond our control.
Your comments are great, re: the tuners, good low end, and the triple dot markers at the 12th. And your all hog is your favorite Larrivee.
I do note that discussion about "how to make the FIII recognizable" stopped when you suggested the 3 dots.
This is gold. Thanks.
Mike

Like Tuffy I have had my Forum III since the day we strung them up at the factory in Canada. Absolutely no problems have come up with mine. It's Alpine spruce over mahogany. I did add the herringbone as well. As well as installing a bone nut, saddle and pins.

I've got four Larrivee's  and always enjoy getting this one out.

Quote from: Danny on May 13, 2021, 02:20:20 PM
Like Tuffy I have had my Forum III since the day we strung them up at the factory in Canada. Absolutely no problems have come up with mine. It's Alpine spruce over mahogany. I did add the herringbone as well. As well as installing a bone nut, saddle and pins.

Danny, thanks for checking in. Your name comes up here from time to time. (in a good way!) And just about anytime the subject turns to Forum guitars, of course for all your work and as the driving force.

Hope you're doing OK.

Quote from: Danny on May 13, 2021, 02:20:20 PM

Hey Danny,
Thanks for the input. I have mentioned your FIII was the only one I have played.
Of course, back on that visit, I did say your D-02 was my favorite.
Mike

I sold my Forum III.

Never could get along with the extremely fundamental tone combination of 12-frets, mahogany, and Italian Spruce.

Quality and workmanship were impeccable.  The simple 3 dots at the 12th fret was extremely classy.

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2021, 02:45:22 PM
Danny, thanks for checking in. Your name comes up here from time to time. (in a good way!) And just about anytime the subject turns to Forum guitars, of course for all your work and as the driving force.

Hope you're doing OK.
I'm doing okay. It does take some committed members to see a Forum guitar through.

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 13, 2021, 03:55:45 PM
Hey Danny,
Thanks for the input. I have mentioned your FIII was the only one I have played.
Of course, back on that visit, I did say your D-02 was my favorite.
Mike
Mike my old D-02 does get the most play time. To me it's got a very sweet tone from the decades of playing. Still the Forum III is one of the best guitars I've ever had. Of course there are many memories and things about mine that make it special to me.

Quote from: Danny on May 14, 2021, 02:10:19 PM
I'm doing okay. It does take some committed members to see a Forum guitar through.

Glad to hear it, Danny.
Yes, of course, you are absolutely right about that. You know that better than anyone.
And I am not the point person on this.
Only guitar I would by now with 12 frets to the body is a cutaway and a cedar top with a rosewood B&S.
Almost all my guitars are mahogany. That's great but I got that covered now in spades.

Quote from: Queequeg on May 14, 2021, 03:54:17 PM
Glad to hear it, Danny.
Yes, of course, you are absolutely right about that. You know that better than anyone.
And I am not the point person on this.
The point person relies heavily on those with past knowledge and experience, without which this project will not happen.
Mike

I bought my forum III used at this site eight years ago.  Italian Spruce over Mahogany.  It is a very comfortable guitar with a surprisingly large sound presence.  Very comfortable to play and ranks as my favourite guitar overall (of the three Larrivees I own).  I agree that the tuners are adequate but not brilliant.  Certainly not a great irritant for me.  The other comment is that the lack of fret markers has frustrated a couple of my band mates as they have a difficult time discerning where I am fretting.  Not a problem for me, though.  It really is a pleasure to play and I would not ever part with it.  Note that my bias is finger picking.   Cheers.
L-03R
F-III IS/M
C-03R-TE won in Larrivee give away :)
A few electrics that don't get played much

It has been some time since I commented on this forum, but seeing the news of the Forum VI made me respond. I bought my FIII used, but in excellent condition, a couple of years after they were made. It completely changed the way I play and buy guitars!

Now it is the largest bodied guitar I own; all the dreadnoughts and Jumbos are gone, I rarely use a pick anymore, and my pleasure and playing comfort have increased significantly. I will never sell my Forum III (or Larrivee 00-09 Custom). The news of the walnut FVI was exciting, but I suppose I will keep the ones I've got and be content.

Quote from: nctom on June 21, 2021, 08:35:53 AM
It has been some time since I commented on this forum, but seeing the news of the Forum VI made me respond. I bought my FIII used, but in excellent condition, a couple of years after they were made. It completely changed the way I play and buy guitars!

Now it is the largest bodied guitar I own; all the dreadnoughts and Jumbos are gone, I rarely use a pick anymore, and my pleasure and playing comfort have increased significantly. I will never sell my Forum III (or Larrivee 00-09 Custom). The news of the walnut FVI was exciting, but I suppose I will keep the ones I've got and be content.
We can feel your enthusiasm! I would say that the FVI experience has changed the way I see the world and my expectations of what I see for all of mankind in the future, but I don't actually have the guitar, so I honestly cannot say that yet.
I'll get back to you in a few months, but it has been great participating in a positive experience.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 23, 2021, 09:41:59 PM

I would say that the FVI experience has changed the way I see the world and my expectations of what I see for all of mankind in the future, but I don't actually have the guitar, so I honestly cannot say that yet.

LOL! Good one!!!   :laughin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Love my Forum III Larrivee. I purchased it second hand and it is my absolute favourite Larrivee guitar.....and I have a bunch of them, and the are all fine instruments.
Something about that European Alpine spruce top, and the shorter neck.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on June 29, 2021, 05:15:01 AM
Love my Forum III Larrivee. I purchased it second hand and it is my absolute favourite Larrivee guitar.....and I have a bunch of them, and the are all fine instruments.
Something about that European Alpine spruce top, and the shorter neck.
You all are giving me something to look forward to.
Can't wait to feel about the F-VI the way you all have felt about your guitars all these years.
Mike