Just got a brand new OMV-03 from 2010

Started by Will V., May 11, 2021, 12:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been on the lookout for a new/used Recording Series guitar and this one popped up at a shop in the next state over. The photos on the website were dated 2017, so I thought the guitar might have been sitting for a while, but when I received it and plugged in the serial number, I was surprised to learn it was made in March 2010.

The guitar is in fine condition except for one small finish blemish on the top. The top has darkened nicely, which I actually like. I don't like new looking spruce, it doesn't have enough character.  It was a little bit on the dry side- not too dry, no sharp frets or any issues, just a bit drier than I would like, and it's been humidifying since it arrived here. Plays great, sounds great. The guitar was priced about where used pandemic prices are right now, maybe on the higher end. I guess the price was based on the 2010 MSRP, whatever that was.

Is this common to find an NOS guitar this old? I'm sure 2-3 year old new guitars are quite common, but eleven years old seems a little extreme.
2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03

Formerly: O-01 Koa Parlor, L-03

Depends on the brand and model, but new-old-stock isn't uncommon. I got a Larrivee that had been sitting 7 years. A Collings that was 15 years unsold. Nothing wrong with either instrument. They were just in locations where the right buyer didn't come along. I've even got deals on guitars that were too high end or unique for a high traffic Guitar Center so they didn't sell for over 5 years and the managers were finally ready to sell them at cost.

Sounds like you got a nice score three. Congrats!
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I got some *really* inexpensive ebony tuning machine buttons and put them on my new OMV-03. They came very matte (probably tumbled) and I spent some time polishing them last night before installing them. I think they look rather nice.

2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03

Quote from: Will V. on May 20, 2021, 01:43:35 PM
I got some *really* inexpensive ebony tuning machine buttons and put them on my new OMV-03. They came very matte (probably tumbled) and I spent some time polishing them last night before installing them. I think they look rather nice.
I think they look nice too.
Two of my guitars are from 2010, an LV-10 and an L-05. The tops look like twins and both have darkened. They sound great.
I think 2010 was a very good year!
I had some wood buttons lying around that I put on my OM-03M, and they really make my playing sound better  :bgrin:
Noticed also you have really good string spacing at the first fret. Sometimes the strings get too close to the edge of the fretboard.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Congrats on finding a gem.

Some guitars do sit in shops for years... as someone said, the right buyer just hadn't come along yet.

I suspect the pandemic, with its reduction of available guitars in stock, is causing a number of NOS/New Old Stock guitars to (finally) be sold. That's a good thing.

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I like the tuning buttons.  Both of my Larrivee have custom tuning buttons.  I think they just look much sharper than chrome ones.  Congrats!

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 22, 2021, 01:37:01 PM
Congrats on finding a gem.

Some guitars do sit in shops for years... as someone said, the right buyer just hadn't come along yet.

I suspect the pandemic, with its reduction of available guitars in stock, is causing a number of NOS/New Old Stock guitars to (finally) be sold. That's a good thing.

:coffee :donut

Well, very often when I buy one of something, I end up buying two. So I just got the LV-10QM that was posted on the FS forum.

Since all three of my Larrivees are pretty similar guitars, i think I am getting a better idea of the differences between mahogany, maple, and rosewood. For many years I thought rosewood was my favorite, and now I'm not so sure about that.

Quote from: mattwood on May 22, 2021, 04:21:04 PM
I like the tuning buttons.  Both of my Larrivee have custom tuning buttons.  I think they just look much sharper than chrome ones.  Congrats!

Indeed, they do look much better than the stock chrome. I also have 12 faux-ivoroid buttons on the way, if they fit well, they will go on my L-10 and LV-10QM.
2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03