Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Hooked on June 16, 2021, 12:50:29 PM
But get the guitar!
I am going to get the guitar. It is WAY beyond and MUCH better than what I had originally had in mind, which was simply another run of the F-III, which for me would have been sitka over hog, standard bracing. I am very happy we departed from that. It started with Bard, who said how about a 12 fret in walnut. There has never been a Forum acoustic guitar customized to this extent. It's wonderful.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

UPDATE
John just called, which was good.
Anyhow... rosettes.
The abalone will in fact, be a 75 dollar increase in price. In addition, there are export considerations involving a fee if the guitar is shipped outside the US. Plus, these considerations may also apply if one of us sells the guitar to someone outside the US.
So abalone is out.
I told John I had posted I thought we should go with the -03 spec (h-bone), and he said our choices were h-bone, rope and multi-strip.
One order came in from a forum member who does not post.
My own order will make a total of 9. I think some fence sitters need to jump.
John will probably start getting back to people early next week.
EDIT - John will probably start calling people by this coming Friday.
Mike

Just chipping in here as others have done. #1 for Mike is a no-brainer, and John Jr. please take note of that as we forumites wouldn't have it any other way. And I've stated this before; the rosette is not an issue to me. Sure, I might have a slight preference, but I've never not bought a guitar because of it and it won't stop me now. I want this guitar.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 16, 2021, 01:26:46 PM

UPDATE
John just called, which was good.

Anyhow... rosettes.
The abalone will in fact, be a 75 dollar increase in price. In addition, there are export considerations involving a fee if the guitar is shipped outside the US. Plus, these considerations may also apply if one of us sells the guitar to someone outside the US.
So abalone is out.
I told John I had posted I thought we should go with the -03 spec (h-bone), and he said our choices were h-bone, rope and multi-strip.

That settles that. Hopefully no one is too disappointed, and when we all receive our guitars, the Herringbone will look just right with the rest of the aesthetics.

I personally REALLY LIKE the traditional mosaic rosette (I have three Larrivees with some version of it), but I know I'm in the minority there, even though that is a very traditional and unique Larrivee feature (which, sadly, we don't see much anymore).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Riverbend on June 16, 2021, 02:08:01 PM
Just chipping in here as others have done. #1 for Mike is a no-brainer, and John Jr. please take note of that as we forumites wouldn't have it any other way. And I've stated this before; the rosette is not an issue to me. Sure, I might have a slight preference, but I've never not bought a guitar because of it and it won't stop me now. I want this guitar.
The issue of #1 has been settled and I have spoke to John about it.
Let it go.
The guitar will be herringbone. There. It's done. F-VI spec officially finished.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 16, 2021, 02:37:49 PM

The guitar will be herringbone. There. It's done. F-VI spec officially finished.
Mike

YAY!   :nana_guitar

Looking forward to John, Jr.'s call Friday so I can place my order!

Thanks again, Mike, John, Jr. and Jean! And thank you in advance to the Larrivee employees who will build these wonderful instruments!!!

Mike

Yeah Man!! Great Job! The anticipation will be all the better sharing with y'all!

Cheers,

SS
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Long time member here... I actually bought two Forum III's (one for me, one for a friend).  I'm interested in this Forum VI.  What do you need to get me on a list?

Right-handed with a cutaway, please.

Page 23/ post # 444 has all the info, final spec (now is Herringbone rosette), pricing, order instructions...
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: WallHalen on June 16, 2021, 04:10:24 PM
Long time member here... I actually bought two Forum III's (one for me, one for a friend).  I'm interested in this Forum VI.  What do you need to get me on a list?
Right-handed with a cutaway, please.
Eric,
Welcome back!
Like Lou said, the ordering and specs are back at post 444
Larrivee is taking orders now.
I am going to be making a "Forum VI specs and ordering info" post later today, since no one needs to be wading through this thread anymore, and we actually just nailed the final small detail earlier today. We already have 9 orders.
Mike

The issue of #1 has been settled and I have spoke to John about it.
Let it go.
Mike

Hope I didn't upset anyone with my suggestion. It was not intended.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on June 16, 2021, 04:54:56 PM
Hope I didn't upset anyone with my suggestion. It was not intended.
Mark,
No one is upset. I knew the issue would come up and I was already prepared for it.
I am honored to be considered in anyone's high regard.
Besides we can all get loud about the guitar when Lou has his smoked ribs party!
Mike

Come on over!So far as I know, only Eded is nearby, though.
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 16, 2021, 05:59:46 PM
Mark,
No one is upset. I knew the issue would come up and I was already prepared for it.
I think telling river to "let it go" is probably what came across as you being upset. Since you clarified, I'm assuming it wasn't intended that way but at first it was awkward.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Perhaps this was posted in an earlier post and I missed it but I'm wondering what 'kind' of walnut the back and sides will be.  Not to pick nits and the photo of the back pieces looks great but there are different walnuts and I was just wondering.  eg, Black Walnut or Claro Walnut or...?

Did not want to muddy the other new thread so posting here.
Thanks

Quote from: jazzereh on June 17, 2021, 09:09:04 AM
Perhaps this was posted in an earlier post and I missed it but I'm wondering what 'kind' of walnut the back and sides will be.  Not to pick nits and the photo of the back pieces looks great but there are different walnuts and I was just wondering.  eg, Black Walnut or Claro Walnut or...?

Thanks
It is American Walnut. One of Matt Larrivees favorite woods.
EDIT - I just saw that Matt made the following comment on the Larrivee Facebook page... I am "borrowing " it.

I *LOVE* American walnut. It's one of my two favorite woods. It's one of the most environmentally friendly woods we have - I get this wood from one particular supplier and it is the left over from perfect veneer logs. When they cut veneer they can only cut to the center of the tree which leaves a gorgeous 1" thick piece of perfectly quartersawn ultra wide walnut. It's wood that you just cannot by as lumber as the veneer companies scoop up the perfect trees. When it's available I have to drive 200 miles each way and go through every single board myself. Some years there is lots, other years (like the last 2 years) there is none.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 17, 2021, 09:15:18 AM

It is American Walnut. One of Matt Larrivees favorite woods.
EDIT - I just saw that Matt made the following comment on the Larrivee Facebook page... I am "borrowing " it.

I *LOVE* American walnut. It's one of my two favorite woods. It's one of the most environmentally friendly woods we have - I get this wood from one particular supplier and it is the left over from perfect veneer logs. When they cut veneer they can only cut to the center of the tree which leaves a gorgeous 1" thick piece of perfectly quartersawn ultra wide walnut. It's wood that you just cannot by as lumber as the veneer companies scoop up the perfect trees. When it's available I have to drive 200 miles each way and go through every single board myself. Some years there is lots, other years (like the last 2 years) there is none.

Very, very cool! Thanks for posting that!

Quote from: jazzereh on June 17, 2021, 09:09:04 AM
Perhaps this was posted in an earlier post and I missed it but I'm wondering what 'kind' of walnut the back and sides will be.  Not to pick nits and the photo of the back pieces looks great but there are different walnuts and I was just wondering.  eg, Black Walnut or Claro Walnut or...?

Thanks

You would probably be more familiar with it as "black" walnut, as that's the name it's more commonly known under in lutherie. This could be one of the variants as it seemed lighter than the standard American/black, which grows in the eastern US. Walnut in general can vary a bit in density so species can sometimes be less important than the actual cuts chosen. Sounds like Matt's picking some great ones.

I have a banjo made of black walnut and it's such a wonderful smell. Stronger and sweeter than the Peruvian and Bastogne walnuts on my other instruments. I picked it up yesterday, having not opened the case in a month, and the smell was just intoxicating.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Excellent info about the Walnut!  Thanks

REQUEST
The number of orders is kind of low at this point, and I can imagine two reasons why.
1. Price
2. Schedule

I would like to hear from those of us who have not decided to get onboard with the F-VI thus far.
As far as price goes, it is fair.
As far as schedule goes, I think 6 months to a year is not very specific, and leaves a LOT to be desired as far as scheduling goes.
My task as Herder isn't over, and I need to know the concerns of those who have not placed orders, so that I can re-direct my efforts to getting this project done in an acceptable manner to us forum members.
Mike