Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me, too ... sent my info ... so now they'll be making at least one lefty.  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 15, 2021, 11:57:16 AM
Me, too ... sent my info ... so now they'll be making at least one lefty.  :thumbsup
Cool, that is 6 from our little group that we know of.
Haven't ordered mine yet. Still thinking.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Did the rosette get settled? I've ordered, so at the mercy of the decision. I won't see the rosette when I play anyhow...
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on June 15, 2021, 01:21:58 PM
Did the rosette get settled? I've ordered, so at the mercy of the decision. I won't see the rosette when I play anyhow...
No, not yet. Still a group thing. I'm not going to decide for the group.
Among those who have actually ordered, abalone 3, herringbone 3, and rope as second choice 3.

How about this multi strip, normally used on -02.
Simple. Rarely seen.
Mike

My first preference is still Herringbone...more so once Jean said that would be his choice.

Cheers.

SS
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Quote from: Riverbend on June 14, 2021, 05:12:23 PM
Well, since it's still up for discussion, if I had my druthers I'd druther have abalone, followed by rope. I've never been a fan of herring or herringbone (no disrespect to JCL), but I won't let the rosette stop me from ordering.

I myself would like to hear the opinion of the guys who do this everyday.  For me the rosette, the VI, and the headstock need to tie together aesthetically. 

Quote from: Frasier1 on June 15, 2021, 06:36:58 PM

I myself would like to hear the opinion of the guys who do this everyday.  For me the rosette, the VI, and the headstock need to tie together aesthetically. 

^^^^
That kind of sums it up for me as well.  I'm not really concerned since whoever is assigned to do this part of the job should have those thoughts in mind.  I also like the photo that Mike posted with the simple multi strip lines since that's what I've got on my OM-03 and it looks quite nice.

Anyway, mines ordered and this is not material to my decision.

I told my better half that I placed the order. She just said, "you're crazy" and I said, "guilty!"  lol   :drool: :arrow :wacko: :nanadance :nana_guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on June 15, 2021, 08:30:24 PM
I told my better half that I placed the order. She just said, "you're crazy" and I said, "guilty!"  lol   :drool: :arrow :wacko: :nanadance :nana_guitar
I told my better half over a month ago what I was up to and she said "cool".
She asks for daily updates.
Mike

Well, I did just bring home a few things a couple of weeks ago when a local guitar shop owner had a retirement sale. lol

Nothing Larrivee related but...

My daughter bought the 6 string Breedlove and one Uke. I brought home the rest. From one visit to the guitar store!   :roll

I am crazy.  :cheers
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

That is a bunch of guitars.

I am going to back out. I will spend the money in a Lutherie course I have wanted to take.

It won't be a Larrivee, but it will be a Jamolay, by my own sweat, hopefully not blood and tears....

Thanks all for including me! I have learned a lot and you will all have one lovely instrument!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Jamolay on June 15, 2021, 09:33:28 PM
That is a bunch of guitars.
I am going to back out. I will spend the money in a Lutherie course I have wanted to take.
It won't be a Larrivee, but it will be a Jamolay, by my own sweat, hopefully not blood and tears....
Thanks all for including me! I have learned a lot and you will all have one lovely instrument!
Josh,
I am pleased you were a member of our little band of Forum VI Fence Sitters.
You are a really smart guy and I like your decision.
Remember you are still a forum member and don't get lost!
Mike

Quote from: jazzereh on June 15, 2021, 07:16:34 PM
^^^^
That kind of sums it up for me as well.  I'm not really concerned since whoever is assigned to do this part of the job should have those thoughts in mind.  I also like the photo that Mike posted with the simple multi strip lines since that's what I've got on my OM-03 and it looks quite nice.
Anyway, mines ordered and this is not material to my decision.
Quote from: Frasier1 on June 15, 2021, 06:36:58 PM
Both of you make good points.
First, Jean designed the -03 series to have herringbone. Our guitar, except for the VI on an otherwise blank fretboard, and absence of a pickguard, is still an -03. The rope is also nice and less busy.
Second, see the photo of the Notable. Due to the 12 fret, the soundhole is now almost exactly between the VI inlay and the nut. Very nice proportion.
Third, now look at that photo and imagine a VI inlay at the 12 instead of the diamonds. Do you want a flashy rosette to take away from the impact of the VI inlay?
Fourth, our guitar has a standard headstock, with no special inlay. The Notable LS-03 has a torch inlay. When I look at the Notable guitar the very first thing I see is the torch inlay. On the VI the first thing you will notice is the VI inlay, due to the ABSENCE of any other glaring feature.

Anyhow, I could go on, but the point being is that no one does stuff like this everyday, and even a custom luthier only does it once per guitar, and then usually with input from the customer. On the other hand, there have been over a dozen of us working on this guitar every single day, for over a month. We assigned this task to ourselves and we have been diligent in keeping all these thoughts in mind.

The issue can either resolve itself (by defaulting to standard -03 spec), or we resolve it. Larrivee will only tell us what we cannot do. What we cannot do is get a solid wood rosette, and also we cannot get one of the nice mosaic rosettes, because Larrivee doesn't have enough of them, and their supplier in Europe has been unable to supply more (I asked).

In a week or so, I think John will be contacting those who have ordered for confirmation and deposit. We are that close.
Also, as a minor consideration, I myself cannot order the VI until the group decides what the VI is going to be. I have been all over the place on the rosette. I don't know what I want.
Mike

I cannot imagine why, after all this effort, you would not end up with one. So the rosette might not be your first choice. You deserve to get one and I propose that #1 be reserved for you.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

I just had a thought that would prevent me from actually ordering one.

Please let the nut width be 1 3/4" I thought I saw that spec somewhere but John's post does not mention it. Or, did I miss that?

Is it a 1 3/4" nut width?
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on June 16, 2021, 11:54:20 AM
I just had a thought that would prevent me from actually ordering one.

Please let the nut width be 1 3/4" I thought I saw that spec somewhere but John's post does not mention it. Or, did I miss that?

Is it a 1 3/4" nut width?

Yes, the nut will be 1 3/4" - that's standard across the Larrivee line with a couple exceptions.

Quote from: markj on June 16, 2021, 11:49:34 AM

I cannot imagine why, after all this effort, you would not end up with one. So the rosette might not be your first choice. You deserve to get one and I propose that #1 be reserved for you.

I agree with this sentiment. Mike, you should get #1.

I'm fine with Herringbone, Rope, or even the simple concentric circles.

Abalone won't keep me from ordering one; I do wonder if it will push the price up another $50 or so...?

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 16, 2021, 12:09:15 PM
I agree with this sentiment. Mike, you should get #1.
I'm fine with Herringbone, Rope, or even the simple concentric circles.
Abalone won't keep me from ordering one; I do wonder if it will push the price up another $50 or so...?

The standard rosettes will not raise the price, John said we could make spec changes but only on all guitars.
If the mosaic were available that might raise the price.
My gut tells me to just let it go, and go with -03 spec. Even the Notable guitar was herringbone on the rosette.

I thought about the #1, only because Danny has Forum III #1 and he is just up the road.
My F-VI will be numbered somewhere within the pack, and I won't have it otherwise.
I have had fun, and got to work with John, and got to know some folks much better.
Like John said, the effort promotes the community.
Mike

#1 - Mike you deserve number 1, but I applaud your humility! But get the guitar!

#2 - I think the herringbone or rope with work well with the maple binding, while the abalone is a stark contrast to the binding and the walnut. Still in favor of either, but my email is already in, so I'll be a very happy camper no mater what the rosette looks like.

Lou
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6