Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 04, 2021, 11:26:01 AM
Welcome to the discussion. Having interest is not binding. We are close to figuring out what we want, and Larrivee is assisting us.
Part of the Forum guitar process is a group of us figure out what we want, then propose the idea to Larrivee. Larrivee has to approve it. At some point we will know how much the guitar will cost, then we make our individual commitment and hopefully, enough of us will commit for Larrivee to produce our group order. The guitar will actually ordered through a Larrivee dealer.
Our Forum VI guitar is based on the Forum III, which was produced in 2009. It was very successful, and although we have different woods, it will be the same basic model, which is an LS. The LS is slightly smaller than the L-body.
I am not in charge (it is a group effort), but I do keep track of who is interested on a spreadsheet, and sometimes I send an email to Larrivee with a question.
Mike

You are doing a wonderful job. Not sure this would have progressed this far without your efforts. I understand the sentiment that we are all "in charge" but you are definitely the lead organizer and we are all grateful for that.  :donut :donut2 :coffee
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Another update from John.
Jean and John are aiming for 20 sets of walnut for the Forum VI. There may be a few extras as well, for just in case.
John mentioned the wood will darken a bit during finishing. I had asked "Is it really that light?"

Now, I previously said "We will get the best wood appropriate for the guitar, keeping in mind our desire for economy".
Actually, we are getting a high grade walnut, with a bit of nature's cosmetic touches, equal in tone, strength, and cool factor to anything else. I am paraphrasing, but you get the idea. (Pity the poor -09 or -10 owner who has to suffer without a few of nature's touches.)
No pic for the sides yet.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: B0WIE on June 03, 2021, 09:16:41 PM
Yea, it's really exciting. The walnut Larrivee I had before sounded great, but the wood itself was dark and nothing to look at. Yours is very nice.
That slight green hue seems to be a good sign with walnut (though it has a bit to do with species). Some of the best pieces I've seen have that, alternating with that beautiful rosy color. The green hides a bit when it's sprayed and the reds/browns come out.
I'd personally recommend flamed maple binding. It plays off of tones in the walnut and makes it "pop". Darker bindings sort of hide and somehow make the walnut look muddy brown and bland. A quick internet search of "walnut acoustic" will show what I mean.
Flamed maple binding sounds nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhhh!
Please put me on the tentative list! LSV, RH, moon wood, walnut, walnut rosette, VI, cut away, hybrid, long, no electronics (probably), no pick guard.
You all are doing a great job and I am weakening by the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: markj on June 04, 2021, 11:47:02 AM
You are doing a wonderful job. Not sure this would have progressed this far without your efforts. I understand the sentiment that we are all "in charge" but you are definitely the lead organizer and we are all grateful for that.  :donut :donut2 :coffee
:+1:
You are doing a fantastic job Mike!
I concur with the flamed maple binding, as well. Nice contrast with the walnut. 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Jamolay on June 04, 2021, 01:56:06 PM
Ahhhh!
Please put me on the tentative list! LSV, RH, moon wood, walnut, walnut rosette, VI, cut away, hybrid, long, no electronics (probably), no pick guard.
You all are doing a great job and I am weakening by the minute.
Jamolay,
That was easy! All noted. You are now an official fence sitter.
Mike

Here are some pictures of an L-09 American Walnut. Looks amazing. There is also a pic that supports the comment that the maple binding helps the walnut colours "pop". I am getting very tempted.  :guitar

https://heartbreakerguitars.com/products/larrivee-l09-american-walnut-custom-guitar

W
OM-01

Quote from: willynelson13 on June 04, 2021, 02:37:13 PM
Here are some pictures of an L-09 American Walnut. Looks amazing. There is also a pic that supports the comment that the maple binding helps the walnut colours "pop". I am getting very tempted. 
https://heartbreakerguitars.com/products/larrivee-l09-american-walnut-custom-guitar
W
kkkkkkkkkkkkkhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
I apologize. I must have passed out.
Mike

I like walnut! My walnut O-01 on the walnut stairs I built to the music room.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Stairway to (Walnut) Heaven?

Beautiful guitar and a great looking set of stairs! :nana_guitar
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Thanks Mike for ramrodding this ole bunch!  Rowdy Yates would be proud!

Quote from: B0WIE on June 04, 2021, 02:51:00 AM
Did you mean to say that Sitka was the drier one?

No, we have had this disagreement before.    :winkin:

While there is much variation in samples from each species,  I am firmly convinced that European/German/Italian/Moon/whatever spruce (Picea abies)  has fewer overtones than Engelmann or Sitka.  I'd place it closer to Adirondack than Sitka.

Main reason I sold my Forum-III, very fundamental and clear.
(exacerbated by the 12-fret bridge placement which also generates more fundamental at the expense of overtones)

My 1998 has an Engelmann top (there was a Sitka shortage that year) and is fantastic.   I wish moonwood sounded as good.

Quote from: AZLiberty on June 04, 2021, 07:38:07 PM
No, we have had this disagreement before.    :winkin:

While there is much variation in samples from each species,  I am firmly convinced that European/German/Italian/Moon/whatever spruce (Picea abies)  has fewer overtones than Engelmann or Sitka.  I'd place it closer to Adirondack than Sitka.

Main reason I sold my Forum-III, very fundamental and clear.
(exacerbated by the 12-fret bridge placement which also generates more fundamental at the expense of overtones)

My 1998 has an Engelmann top (there was a Sitka shortage that year) and is fantastic.   I wish moonwood sounded as good.

I'll agree with you with respect to the Forum III and Italian spruce.  It's a very dry wood with hardly any overtones but I like it.  If you want something wetter (overtones) go with engleman or cedar which tames that brightness.

I did a "Sitka spruce vs Moonwood" google search and there is quite a bit out there.  The one thing I heard the most in regards to Moonwood was 'Clarity'.  Here is a video that was originally posted by 'Mikeymac' on June 09, 2020 on this very forum discussing
Moonwood vs Sitka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4vh9x9qkCA

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 27, 2021, 09:56:32 PM
You are counted in, maybe this is your chance to get that 12 fretter?
You are one very experienced and knowledgeable guitar person.
(I look everyone up, and read old posts, it's a habit of mine. A good habit.)
We are all hoping for a good price.
Mike

Thank you Mike.

Quote from: Frasier1 on June 04, 2021, 08:42:39 PM
I did a "Sitka spruce vs Moonwood" google search and there is quite a bit out there.  The one thing I heard the most in regards to Moonwood was 'Clarity'.  Here is a video that was originally posted by 'Mikeymac' on June 09, 2020 on this very forum discussing
Moonwood vs Sitka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4vh9x9qkCA
I have played that specific guitar. I liked it, but not in comparison to my own choices of Larrivees.
Point you out to 40 seconds to 50 seconds or so.
The video is a tiny bit music and mostly commentary. Useless for comparison to our proposed guitar.
Mike

Quote from: sdelsolray on June 04, 2021, 09:18:07 PM
Thank you Mike.
Thank you for checking in! There are a few small things you need to weigh in on, please look at the spreadsheet (a few posts upwards),
Namely, top wood, bracing and rosette preferences. I think that covers it.
I hope you are still an active fence sitter (fingers crossed).
Believe me, even though we seem close on this, we are not done discussing this guitar. Your input is important.
Mike

Mike,

To update/change my preferences for your 06-03-21 spreadheet:

1)  Topwood - Sitka.
2)  Cutaway - None.
3)  Bracing - Standard, but would be fine with Hybrid.
4)  Rosette - Walnut.
5)  Pickup - None.

Quote from: sdelsolray on June 04, 2021, 10:08:41 PM
Mike,

To update/change my preferences for your 06-03-21 spreadheet:

1)  Topwood - Sitka.
2)  Cutaway - None.
3)  Bracing - Standard, but would be fine with Hybrid.
4)  Rosette - Walnut.
5)  Pickup - None.
I am happy for your update. Thank you. I did put you down as hybrid, simply because we have not decided to have a huge issue over standard bracing. But please, feel free. I'll have your back.
Just in case, and to be clear, moonwood is a group "preference", based on Larrivee's question to us about sitka vs moonwood. It is not a group specification for the F-VI.
I think we would all be happy with either one, and if we get moonwood, it will be a Larrivee choice.
Mike

Edit; there's some backwards info about woods that's starting to form here. I am deleting my post as I don't want to seem like I'm arguing or correcting anyone. I'll just encourage people to research literature from luthiers (not forms) if they're interested in learning more about spruce variations.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.