Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Rockysdad on May 28, 2021, 02:55:58 PM
I'd like Moonwood, I'm also not a Herringbone fan, all my Larrivée's have Abalone around the sound hole.

Nothing's etched in stone  :humour:          I'm open to different ideas.

Hear hear!  I'd gladly give up my vote for sitka to favor moonwood if it meant no h'bone.  Maybe it works better with a more traditional D or OM body, but not a more modern LS.

Sorry, but I might've missed info on pickguards. Is clear an option? That's be my choice. When I compare my OM-40 with the tortoise shell and my O-01 with clear, the O-01 just pleases my eye. Actually, it pleases both of my eyes. And a big thanks Mike for all this work.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Riverbend on May 28, 2021, 03:52:08 PM
Sorry, but I might've missed info on pickguards. Is clear an option? That's be my choice. When I compare my OM-40 with the tortoise shell and my O-01 with clear, the O-01 just pleases my eye. Actually, it pleases both of my eyes. And a big thanks Mike for all this work.
Tell you the truth, all I considered was having whatever pickguard just tossed in the case. Not installed.
I will ask.
Mine will not have it installed.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Rockysdad on May 28, 2021, 02:55:58 PM
I'd like Moonwood, I'm also not a Herringbone fan, all my Larrivée's have Abalone around the sound hole.
Nothing's etched in stone  :humour:          I'm open to different ideas.
I get that, and I am going to start recording the preferences for those that speak up.
IMHO, abalone works good with gloss finishes, cause it is a shiny thing.
And abalone, like herringbone, is a "busy" design.
I am not one way or the other.
Maybe Larrivee has some stuff lying around that looks cool.
Mike

OK, sound hole rosettes....

From John Jr........
"We can make spec changes as long as it is across the board. We don't want to be making multiple versions of the VI guitar.  ie purfling, rosette, etc.  Could do a solid color wood or switch to bold rope, or multi-strip. next question, lol."

Okay, so go and discuss! It's your guitar!
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 28, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
OK, sound hole rosettes....

From John Jr........
"...Could do a solid color wood or switch to bold rope, or multi-strip. next question, lol."

Okay, so go and discuss! It's your guitar!
Mike

Solid color wood.  Interesting.  Perhaps walnut as well to match!

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on May 28, 2021, 04:36:36 PM
Solid color wood.  Interesting.  Perhaps walnut as well to match!
Second this!!! That'd be pretty unique, especially with the walnut B & S.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Moonwood top sounds great, I don't have one and have never tried one, but I know Jean loves it.

I do not really have a strong preference on inlay, my previous comment about abalone was meant to come across as "minimal or no, if it helps keep down the cost". A special inlay at the 12th fret sounds great. Walnut rosette sounds way cool (perhaps something with walnut and a little abalone?).

I don't have a strong preference on inlay, but a lot of the ideas getting thrown around sound good to me!
2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03

Formerly: O-01 Koa Parlor, L-03

Quote from: Riverbend on May 28, 2021, 04:44:42 PM
Second this!!! That'd be pretty unique, especially with the walnut B & S.
I'll third it !!!,
1st - Solid wood
2nd - Abalone
3rd - well, if it has to be, Herringbone lol.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Ok.... pickguards.

"Pickguard option is okay. Keep in mind we no longer support clear satin guards. So the option is without and have a tortoise in the case or with. Best to keep the option consistent with all guitars."

The tortoise PG will be supplied loose in the case. It has to be that way. No vote.
Now, unless I read the Larrivee Pro Shop completely wrong, one can still purchase a gloss or satin PG as a replacement for 10 dollars. They were used until 2001, but they are not a factory option for us.
Mike

Okay, with all the new updates, here's my current preferences (with LS body, Walnut b&s, etc.):

Moonwood or Sitka; both work - I'd be good with very nice grained Sitka - and NO BEAR CLAW for me, thanks
Rosette - I'm good with Rope or wood (yes, Walnut would be cool!)
No pickup, no pick guard, so we're good there

I'm assuming those who want a cutaway or pickup will be an upcharge; the rest of us won't...

Thanks, again, Mike and John, Jr.   :bowdown:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 28, 2021, 01:15:49 PM
Got an update from John Jr.
Bottom line... they need some more time. The main issue is supply chain stuff. They do have a "large UK order that is loaded with walnut".
Matt is working the issue, but will need maybe another week to sort it out.
John did say "we are going to include the VI inlay on the twelfth fret as one of our free upgrades for you included."
Cool, huh?

Also, in sort of a general roundabout way, John asked "what was the consensus on Moonwood vs Sitka."
I looked at all my emails to John, and I never mentioned moonwood. So I think he saw us commenting on it.
So, question, if we were to have talked more about moonwood, what would our concensus have been?
I think I know, but please let's comment on it.
Mike

European Flamed walnut anyone?

OM-01

Moonwood or Sitka over Walnut
Herringbone or solid wood rosette (strong preference against abalone)
No pickup
Keeping it simple and (hopefully) affordable
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on May 28, 2021, 07:21:50 PM
Moonwood or Sitka over Walnut
Herringbone or solid wood rosette (strong preference against abalone)
No pickup
Keeping it simple and (hopefully) affordable

I think pickup was one of the three individual level options, along with LH and cutaway.

Also seems we are getting good traction for a walnut rosette.  Several like it independently, and seems to be a middle ground between the abalone lovers and haterz.

Recent larrivee black walnut on my T44.

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 28, 2021, 01:34:42 PM
Those are good inputs.
The soundhole herringbone came from the stock specs for -03 series guitars.
Will V. mentioned abalone but I don't see anyone else mentioned anything.
On the Larrivee site, the only pickup option seems to be the LR Baggs StagePro Element. But I will ask to make sure.
As a tiny insignificant consideration, since most of us are looking for a guitar that won't kill us moneywise, the spec concentrated on the body style, and the wood, but did not address cosmetics. If it didn't make the guitar sound better, it was stock. Larrivee may well come back and do something for the guitar's looks.
Mike

I would prefer an abalone rosette as well. Might as well make it shimmer a little. ;)
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on May 28, 2021, 07:59:00 PM
I think pickup was one of the three individual level options, along with LH and cutaway.
Also seems we are getting good traction for a walnut rosette.  Several like it independently, and seems to be a middle ground between the abalone lovers and haterz.
Options:
LH is no extra charge.
Pickup is extra charge.
LSV with the venetian cutaway is extra charge.
Any model spec changes to the Forum VI guitar will be made to all the guitars.
We are making good progress.
This is fun, even though it actually is a business deal and should be respected as such.
Mike
Mike

Now that I read past that post, lol, Solid wood rosette does sound intriguing.

And Moonwood is just fine with me. My LV-10 has it and I love it. My OO-40 has sitka and I love it. So, not a deal-breaker either way.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on May 28, 2021, 09:03:17 PM
Now that I read past that post, lol, Solid wood rosette does sound intriguing.
And Moonwood is just fine with me. My LV-10 has it and I love it. My OO-40 has sitka and I love it. So, not a deal-breaker either way.
Whew.... I thought I was gonna have to do a general post based on a design philosophy, but you are getting it.
I will anyhow just so I can explain my thinking.
The way I see it (and others can not agree) is that the Forum VI is a plain LS-03 guitar built with good wood. Maybe really good.
The solid wood rosette part as opposed to herringbone is a great change. I am happy that discussion is happening. I did not know we could make spec changes to the standard -03 stuff until John Jr. said it. Think it through, maybe there are other changes in trim that might be cool.
There shouldn't be anything visual that shouts out what the Forum VI is. The VI inlay on the 12th fret on an otherwise empty fretboard does the job, like the 3 dots did on the original Forum III.
When you open the case, you should see a nice Larrivee guitar. Nothing visual should overwhelm you that screams "this is really cool".
The really cool part comes when you pick it up and play it.
That's just me, though.
Onwards!
Mike

Gonna give this a break till Monday, I have been talking too much.
You all have lots to discuss, maybe new ideas. Who knows.
Mike