Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 19, 2021, 01:48:20 PM
I received a reply from John about the walnut guitars..... this is it, verbatim and complete.

"If you were to go the Walnut route then American Walnut is the way to go for cost-efficiency. We have plenty and it is only $300 MSRP. Obviously less when we come up with a final price. The more on board, the greater the savings package I can put together.  As for the dealer to work with, please leave that up to me to sort out. All I want is for you folks to come up with a model.

These will be the only variations... Lefty, cutaway, and pickup options.  Of course, the Larrivée's will throw in a little special touch for the Forum folks. Lets see what you come up with first, and then we'll see about adding a little something special 😉"

John did not address the sitka/hog or hog/hog options. This may be because Larrivee might want us to focus one one model.
I wrote back with a couple of follow up questions regarding pickup options. Will let the group know.
Mike

This is exciting news! I can't believe that just 2 weeks ago John put the post up. I was the first to reply and lo and behold, the pieces a threw in there are the nearly consensus choice.

Mike, thanks for putting in the time and effort.

Quote from: Bard on May 19, 2021, 05:17:16 PM
This is exciting news! I can't believe that just 2 weeks ago John put the post up. I was the first to reply and lo and behold, the pieces a threw in there are the nearly consensus choice.
Bard. You have been a member of this forum since 2008, and made only 31 posts till now.
You met Doc. Your name is on the 50th anniversary T-shirt. You know Larrivee electrics. You are one smart person.
"All ears. Something 12 fret with walnut?"
Amazing, may I inquire.... what were you thinking when you made that post?
It is wonderful. You should get the #1 of the series.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

The current specs for Forum VI, best as I can figure, are as follows, and of course, feel free to comment, agree/disagree.
We still haven't actually decided anything.

*LS-03 body style, with exact same body dims as Forum III
*Sitka spruce/American walnut
*12 fret
*Regular scale (25.5")
*1-3/4 nut width
*2-1/4 string spacing at bridge
*Maple binding (standard on -03)
*Herringbone rosette (standard on -03)
*Three micro dots 12th fret inlay, no other fretboard markers, with dots on neck edge binding
*Inside label - Forum Guitar VI x of xx
*Standard -03 tuners
*Detached pickguard (loose in case)
*Options - left handed and venetian cutaway
*Standard hardshell case

The body size dimensions are

*Lower bout 15"
*Waist 9 3/4"
*Upper bout 11"
*Depth 4"
*Overall Length 40"

Primary differences from the Forum III
*16 inch fretboard radius
*updated truss rod access
*Made in Oxnard

How about some herringbone purfling as an option?  This was the case for the Forum III guitars.  I think it makes a big difference in looks and pricewise it would only effect those that wanted it..

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 19, 2021, 09:26:55 PM
Bard. You have been a member of this forum since 2008, and made only 31 posts till now.
You met Doc. Your name is on the 50th anniversary T-shirt. You know Larrivee electrics. You are one smart person.
"All ears. Something 12 fret with walnut?"
Amazing, may I inquire.... what were you thinking when you made that post?
It is wonderful. You should get the #1 of the series.
Mike

Thanks for the kind words. I probably should balance my lurking to posting ratio out a bit. Hahaha

My thinking was:
1. I love the full bodied sound of a dread. Considering that smaller body guitars are more comfortable, it seemed that I good compromise in getting a smaller bodied guitar with fuller projection would be in a 12 fret.

2. I remember seeing a post on here from Matthew regarding walnut. He was raving about it's richness and was his personal choice (at least at the time) for best tone for sides and back on an acoustic. I used to prefer rosewood. I changed a few years back to mahogany. I have options in koa and maple (tried Blackwood - it didn't do it for me - jury is still out. It was a one guitar sample). For this special guitar, I was thinking 'how about something different?'. Walnut seemed to be the choice that made the most sense.

Quote from: Bard on May 20, 2021, 10:31:19 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I probably should balance my lurking to posting ratio out a bit. Hahaha

My thinking was:
1. I love the full bodied sound of a dread. Considering that smaller body guitars are more comfortable, it seemed that I good compromise in getting a smaller bodied guitar with fuller projection would be in a 12 fret.

2. I remember seeing a post on here from Matthew regarding walnut. He was raving about it's richness and was his personal choice (at least at the time) for best tone for sides and back on an acoustic. I used to prefer rosewood. I changed a few years back to mahogany. I have options in koa and maple (tried Blackwood - it didn't do it for me - jury is still out. It was a one guitar sample). For this special guitar, I was thinking 'how about something different?'. Walnut seemed to be the choice that made the most sense.
Two good Matt posts, you will like what you read.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50280.msg442218#msg442218
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50280.msg442174#msg442174
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 20, 2021, 11:37:05 AM
Two good Matt posts, you will like what you read.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50280.msg442218#msg442218
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50280.msg442174#msg442174
Mike

That's great stuff. Has anyone here tried an all walnut Larrivee? It was one of Matthew's favorites. Yet, I doubt there were many made.

I was curious as to what American Walnut looked like so did a quick search

https://heartbreakerguitars.com/collections/larrivee-guitars/products/larrivee-l09-american-walnut-custom-guitar

They have a sound clip of an American Walnut T-40 on YT as well.

Cheers

I really like the idea of American walnut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 20, 2021, 07:50:03 AM
The current specs for Forum VI, best as I can figure, are as follows, and of course, feel free to comment, agree/disagree.
We still haven't actually decided anything.

*LS-03 body style, with exact same body dims as Forum III
*Sitka spruce/American walnut
*12 fret
*Regular scale (25.5")
*1-3/4 nut width
*2-1/4 string spacing at bridge
*Maple binding (standard on -03)
*Herringbone rosette (standard on -03)
*Three micro dots 12th fret inlay, no other fretboard markers, with dots on neck edge binding
*Inside label - Forum Guitar VI x of xx
*Standard -03 tuners
*Detached pickguard (loose in case)
*Options - left handed and venetian cutaway
*Standard hardshell case

The body size dimensions are

*Lower bout 15"
*Waist 9 3/4"
*Upper bout 11"
*Depth 4"
*Overall Length 40"

Primary differences from the Forum III
*16 inch fretboard radius
*updated truss rod access
*Made in Oxnard
What I am asking for is how many people here are willing to go with these specs.
This is for the purpose of getting a minimum number of people who will define the "model" of guitar we are after, and then Larrivee can start talking to a dealer and come up with a price.
No one should say "yes" to these specs unless you are at least semi-serious.
We need a dozen people on board (actually probably 16 or 20) for Larrivee to take us seriously.
After we get a price, other members may say they want to be on board or whatever.
We have to start "somewhere" when dealing with Larrivee. They are gonna build the guitars.
Mike

Quote from: gtrplayer on May 20, 2021, 10:02:45 AM
How about some herringbone purfling as an option?  This was the case for the Forum III guitars.  I think it makes a big difference in looks and pricewise it would only effect those that wanted it..
John indicated what the options were. Herringbone purfling was not one of them.
I am confident if we were to have 78 people order a Forum VI (like with the Forum III) we could influence more options.
Right now I don't see that number of interested people. We need to have a hard core 12 to 20 expressing interest for Larrivee to even consider this guitar and approach a dealer.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 19, 2021, 03:57:45 PM.
I would not anyways consider the LS as a small guitar. It is really comparable to an OM, but L-body shaped.
And remember, we are going to have a bridge in the middle of the lower bout.

The LS body is pretty much an OM volume wise, just shaped more like an L as Mike says.  Here is my OM next to my Forum-III.
The bridge placement makes for a more fundamental tone on the 12-fret, and a bit more sustain.

I'm tentatively on board for either Walnut/Spruce or hog/hog.  

[I say tentative because I have been trying to not buy more wooden guitars, I'm really enjoying the maintenance aspects of carbon fiber]

Well, we have four so far (stringsforhim, AZLiberty, Bard, and myself) firmly in the category of "I think I like this model, but I really need to see a price before I can commit" category, which is the correct stage we are at right now anyhow. Others have mentioned walnut, but have not recently commented on the specifications.

One of the other combo favorites Matt commented on was walnut and moonwood.
Bearing in mind that twice now Larrivee has upgraded to better tops (Forum III and Forum V), maybe if we all have positive thoughts directed at Oxnard we could end up with a better top as Larrivee's part to make it special.
Mike

I can personally give a thumbs up to Walnut for the back and sides. I made a small jumbo guitar with solid walnut back and sides a dozen years ago with a solid Sitka spruce top and Ebony fretboard and bridge with bone nut and saddle and Ebony bridge pins. It has a well balanced rich tone similar to mahogany. I would prefer a 14 fret model but that's just me. Using walnut will be a fine choice!  :coffee :donut

I'm in with specs as stated (spruce over walnut). Moonwood would be a really nice upgrade, as would the herringbone purfling/binding, but I'd be very happy with what you've outlined!

Lou
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

I'm also in for those specs, mike - just make mine lefty!  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Vid on May 21, 2021, 01:20:47 PM
I can personally give a thumbs up to Walnut for the back and sides. I made a small jumbo guitar with solid walnut back and sides a dozen years ago with a solid Sitka spruce top and Ebony fretboard and bridge with bone nut and saddle and Ebony bridge pins. It has a well balanced rich tone similar to mahogany. I would prefer a 14 fret model but that's just me. Using walnut will be a fine choice!  :coffee :donut
:donut :coffee
That's a good comment on the forum choices, thanks.
But, I think I do NOT read that you would be interested in this forum VI guitar?
You can correct me.
Appreciate the ringing endorsement!
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 20, 2021, 09:11:15 PM
What I am asking for is how many people here are willing to go with these specs.
This is for the purpose of getting a minimum number of people who will define the "model" of guitar we are after, and then Larrivee can start talking to a dealer and come up with a price.
We need a dozen people on board (actually probably 16 or 20) for Larrivee to take us seriously.
After we get a price, other members may say they want to be on board or whatever.
We have to start "somewhere" when dealing with Larrivee. They are gonna build the guitars.
Mike

I'm good with those specs.  The LS is close enough to the OM & OOO size that I'd be happy with that and the walnut B/S is what I would want.  Only caveat is that I'm still looking for a Forum III all hog and if one happens to come up, I'd be on that and mostly because it was made in Canada which is how I'm building my collection of Larrivee's.  If that happens [seems unlikely] I'm not sure of my budget but I'm serious about this build if it happens.

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 20, 2021, 09:11:15 PM
Mike

I'm in depending on price. I love the idea of a 12-fret LSV-03AW.
2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03

Formerly: O-01 Koa Parlor, L-03

Quote from: Will V. on May 21, 2021, 02:44:39 PM
I'm in depending on price. I love the idea of a 12-fret LSV-03AW.

Yikes, that kinda jogged my memory a bit. I used to own a 12-fret LSV-03! A beautiful guitar that simply didn't fit my ear having played the smaller OO for almost 10 years. It was spruce mahogany not walnut, but since I recorded a sound demo to offer when I put it up for sale I thought someone might want to hear a spruce topped LS 12-fret.

Of course the usual disclaimers as there's no second guitar to compare it to and what you largely hear is more my own recording technique than anything conclusive about the guitar but with that said here's the SoundCloud link - https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/larrivee-lsv-03-sound-clip-demo

Apologies for spying on a thread I can't commit to buying into, but while I'd love to hear what a spruce/walnut (particularly "moon" spruce like my OO-05) I have too many case queens at the moment . . . Best of luck guys!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist