Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would probably be good to gauge interest in a pickup as there's a chance the majority might not want it, won't want to pay for it, and won't want their bridge being adapted to it. I know that most quality acoustics don't ship with pickups so that's why I'm making that assumption about buyer preferences but it could be the folks here are for having a factory pickup. If not, aftermarket pickups are always an option.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 15, 2021, 11:54:19 AM
Would probably be good to gauge interest in a pickup as there's a chance the majority might not want it, won't want to pay for it, and won't want their bridge being adapted to it. I know that most quality acoustics don't ship with pickups so that's why I'm making that assumption about buyer preferences but it could be the folks here are for having a factory pickup. If not, aftermarket pickups are always an option.
I'm not proposing a factory installed pickup.
But if I wanted to install this particular pickup, as I have in some of my other Larrivees, then why should this particular model NOT be suited for such an installation, unless it were through an inadvertent oversight?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

This sounds like a great idea, but isn't Larrivee backordered like most other guitar companies?
Larrivee guitars include: Larrivee P 03R, L Tenor-40-mahogany, D-04 R, 00-03MH Vintage, L03ZW0, SO40RWO, 0040 Pearl Edition, OM03M with added Fishman, Larrivee L-03 plus many other makes and models in collection.

Quote from: bluebear on May 15, 2021, 01:46:47 PM
This sounds like a great idea, but isn't Larrivee backordered like most other guitar companies?
I think they are catching up, and John did not say no. He said if this doesn't work out, we can do a special Forum shirt or something.
We can do that as well.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 15, 2021, 01:36:31 PM
I'm not proposing a factory installed pickup.
But if I wanted to install this particular pickup, as I have in some of my other Larrivees, then why should this particular model NOT be suited for such an installation, unless it were through an inadvertent oversight?
Mike
Because the bridge plate is an important factor in the sound quality of the guitar and enlarging it just to accommodate for something like a particular type of pickup is certainly not something I'd want in my guitar. Go with what works for you though.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 15, 2021, 08:13:16 PM
Because the bridge plate is an important factor in the sound quality of the guitar and enlarging it just to accommodate for something like a particular type of pickup is certainly not something I'd want in my guitar. Go with what works for you though.
I made a product improvement comment based on looking into it. Not sure what you are basing your comment on.
Please read:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=32734.0
Notable quote:
"I'm sorry but I still find it disturbing that despite Larrivee using the largest recorded bridge plate in human history they still managed to miss the bridge."
This is from the guy who helped drive the Forum III.
You can also go and read:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31304
Notable quote:
"if Larrivee is going to put the most atrociously massive bridgeplate ever conceived in there it could at least be centered under the bridge... instead having 1/4" in front of the pins and 8 feet behind."
Same guy said that. But you can read thru these, like I did. A lot of the second thread directly addressed the K&K mini install.
(Edit): there was a comment in one of the old threads, which I can't find now... basically saying, look the Forum III was quickly brought about, based on an older LS model and optimized for our specs and brought into production quickly and some things may have been overlooked, no one to blame.
Mike

Really appreciated Bowie's explanation of Walnut, and agree with him from some previous experience.

Which - along with the comments about Maple being expensive right now - I'm willing to switch my preference to Walnut. I think with the 12-fret neck and placement of the bridge on the top, the Walnut will be a good balancing tonewood. Usually Walnut looks very nice as well. I'd love for these to have a non-Sitka top, but I could live with Sitka if it's a major cost consideration.

My latest two cents worth.  :wave
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Here's one of the best LS demoes I could find on YouTube. Main differences: 14 fret neck, Sitka/EIR, and it's a gloss model (72 Series - yikes!!!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGmfR7TShc

:nice guitar:

Here's a reason to go for Maple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPNmDh8uh8

:drool:

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 15, 2021, 10:02:41 PM
I made a product improvement comment based on looking into it. Not sure what you are basing your comment on.
Please read:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=32734.0
Notable quote:
"I'm sorry but I still find it disturbing that despite Larrivee using the largest recorded bridge plate in human history they still managed to miss the bridge."
This is from the guy who helped drive the Forum III.
You can also go and read:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31304
Notable quote:
"if Larrivee is going to put the most atrociously massive bridgeplate ever conceived in there it could at least be centered under the bridge... instead having 1/4" in front of the pins and 8 feet behind."
Same guy said that. But you can read thru these, like I did. A lot of the second thread directly addressed the K&K mini install.
(Edit): there was a comment in one of the old threads, which I can't find now... basically saying, look the Forum III was quickly brought about, based on an older LS model and optimized for our specs and brought into production quickly and some things may have been overlooked, no one to blame.
Mike
I was asked why the bridge play shouldn't be designed to accommodate a specific type of pickup system. I then gave an answer to how I felt about bridge plates. I think they should be designed for optimal acoustic performance. It's not a commentary on any previous designs.

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 15, 2021, 11:38:37 PM
Here's a reason to go for Maple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPNmDh8uh8

:drool:
Thanks for the kind words.
FWIW, I don't personally think the sound in the vid is down to maple itself. Most of the dolphin clips sound like that, due to the play style, room, the way they're recording them, etc. I've found maple to be less 'reverby' and more dry. Not to say it can't sound lush in the right circumstances though, as the clip illustrates.

Also, when it comes down to it, the top and the construction (specifically if they go with LS vs L, etc) will have a greater influence on the sound than the back wood so hopefully people will be flexible there and find something they can all agree on. I just had to speak up on walnut as I think it's the most underrated wood in lutherie. I think it's simply because, for years, people just bought what they knew. The fact that 12 fret has gained such popularity in recent years shows progress though.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 16, 2021, 12:52:57 AM
I just had to speak up on walnut as I think it's the most underrated wood in lutherie.
Part of the day yesterday was looking up what I could find on walnut to combine with your good post about it.
I am on board with walnut. If we forego cosmetic upgrades to the guitar, and stick with the 3 dot, we may end up with a price that won't scare us.
Mahogany should still be an option, for cost considerations.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 16, 2021, 10:10:45 AM
and stick with the 3 dot.
Mike
You mean 6 dots right?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Maybe now would be a good time to see if anyone who initially preferred something else would consider walnut.
Looks like we now have 6 with walnut, I could see that going to 9.
Seems pretty clear we will have a spruce top. What type of spruce is still in the air.
If Larrivee's main stash is sitka, I would simply ask for a good grade, maybe avoid the -03 grade cosmetic blemishes sometimes seen.

I think we are close to getting back to John with the "what do you think about this?" question (spruce/walnut, spruce/hog, maybe hog/hog).
Mike

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 16, 2021, 10:28:36 AM
You mean 6 dots right?
I meant 3 dots at the 12th fret. That is a nod to the legacy of the Forum III.
We could ask for the additional 3 dots to be supplied loose in the case in case anyone wanted to install them  :bgrin: along with the pick guard.
(Edit): I'm not stuck on this 3 dot idea. I actually like fully marked fretboards, and I like microdots. But I would prefer not marking the guitar itself with an actual number, other than on the label.
If we wanted to really do a 6 dot fret board, we could the normal fret board dot locations, but eliminate the 14th fret marker. Voila, 6 dots.
Mike

I don't remember, did the original extras on the forum iii run have three dots? I know they didn't have numbered labels.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 16, 2021, 02:08:31 PM
I don't remember, did the original extras on the forum iii run have three dots? I know they didn't have numbered labels.
Yes sir, they did, that was it for the fretboard.
Normal markings on the binding.
Mike

A confession of sorts... I am not much of a guitar player; certainly most of you are far better players than I, and that's is fabulous. I lurk mostly, picking up tips here and there, admiring the music you folks post. And I am a huge fan of the Larrivee guitars - the personal care and investment in craftmanship is amazing. And while a truly custom instrument will (and should) remain beyond me, The Larrivee family has kept these amazing guitars priced where I can afford another.

The whole discussion of tops and back/side woods is mostly lost on me. 21 years of Army Field Artillery has robbed my ears from hearing some of the richness and differences everyone talks about. Not knowing from long experience what I'd miss/gain from different woods, whatever the crew settles on is fine with me. I just want to enjoy a beautiful piece of work that puts happiness in my heart and maybe makes my feeble skills sound just a little better!

:beer

Lou
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

And now, since I decided to weigh in... could someone post sound samples of similar bodied guitars with spruce/walnut, spruce/rosewood, spruce/mahogany combinations? Or point me to a resource that already has those comparisons? Maybe with my good headphones, I could hear something to make a clear choice...

Lou
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Great post, Lou.
It is the antithesis of the cork sniffer. Not to say that we have cork sniffers here.
My ears are 68 years old. They don't differentiate the way they used to, but I know what I like.
And I've been around here quite a while but I still learn a lot from these guys here.
:cheers