RIP Tony Rice

Started by Queequeg, December 28, 2020, 07:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A true virtuoso and brilliant flat picker, Tony Rice died on Christmas Day at his home in North Carolina.
No cause of death was released but I know that he had been in declining health for several years.
Bluegrass, newgrass, spacegrass and/or Dawg music. He was the best.
His work with the David Grisman Quintet is unparalleled. I still listen to these recordings regularly.
He owned the legendary 1935 D28 #58957 with the original enlarged sound hole once owned by Clarence White.
He was 69 years old.

Another legend...

I'm not an afterlife kind of guy, but part of me wants to think there's a heck of a jam going on somewhere.

Ed

Quote from: Queequeg on December 28, 2020, 07:10:00 AM
A true virtuoso and brilliant flat picker, Tony Rice died on Christmas Day at his home in North Carolina.
No cause of death was released but I know that he had been in declining health for several years.
Bluegrass, newgrass, spacegrass and/or Dawg music. He was the best.
His work with the David Grisman Quintet is unparalleled. I still listen to these recordings regularly.
He owned the legendary 1935 D28 #58957 with the original enlarged sound hole once owned by Clarence White.
He was 69 years old.

well said, nothing to add from me other than complete agreement - what a special musician.

I'm not a bluegrasser but after Mr. Rice's death I did my homework and watched a bunch of videos. What a brilliant guitarist!!! Now I know why SCGC offered him a signature model! Think I'll add one to my bucket list.