Started by ducktrapper, December 22, 2020, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12,620. Sounds like a good place to end it. Have a good life folks. Lock downs and locked threads? I'll will attempt to stand and deliver.  :cheers   :guitar :wave

Did you want to discuss politics?
That's a violation of the agreement that Jean Larrivee insisted upon when he lent his name to this forum.
And an insult to him and this forum.
Sorry to see you go, Tom.
Maybe you'll find parler more to your liking.
This here's a guitar forum where we respect the agreements we make.
Ciao, man.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 22, 2020, 07:39:18 PM
Did you want to discuss politics?
That's a violation of the agreement that Jean Larrivee insisted upon when he lent his name to this forum.
And an insult to him and this forum.
Sorry to see you go, Tom.
Maybe you'll find parler more to your liking.
This here's a guitar forum where we respect the agreements we make.
Ciao, man.
This comment is snarky and I find it offensive and not in the spirit of what Jean intended for this forum.  Please delete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did I miss?  Tis' the season to be jolly full of joy and good cheer.   

Ducktrapper has been around this forum for many years; more than most all of us, self included.
And I've noticed he's a real stickler for the rules. He's quick to point out to new members upon their first post if they didn't include donuts. The reason being, ostensibly, that they hadn't read the rules of the forum.
Evidently, he is of a mind that by virtue of his 12,000 posts these rules shouldn't apply to him.
I didn't make these rules, but on rare occasions I am called upon to enforce them. He started a new thread with a YouTube video. It is still up here. You can watch/listen to it right now, right here on this forum.
No one took it down. No one asked him to please take it down. But as more posts were added to this thread, it became increasingly political in nature. No posts were deleted. No one was admonished. No one was temp-banned. I locked that thread to let it lie, and quietly age off Page One here.
As a moderator, I considered that a rather "light touch" which is how I prefer to operate here.
But letting it lie was not good enough for Ducktrapper. He started a new thread to publicly announce that he is quitting the forum.
No one asked him to leave. That was entirely his decision.
Other forums on the Internet welcome political discourse with little-to-no moderation. The Larrivee forum just isn't one of them. Ducktrapper knows that, and so he tells us that he's out of here. Well, OK.
I told him that I was sorry to see him go.
If he chooses to return, I'll welcome him back.

Queequeg;

Thanks for the explanation and thank you for your work on the forum.  I'm sorry to see ducktrapper leave as he seemed like a straight shooter and I know he'll be missed.  Perhaps with time he'll reconsider.  Rules are rules and in retrospect I went ahead and deleted one of my posts that might be considered political.  One thing we all share is love of Larrivee guitars.

Merry Christmas to All

Quote from: gtrplayer on December 23, 2020, 04:29:37 PM
Queequeg;

Thanks for the explanation and thank you for your work on the forum.  I'm sorry to see ducktrapper leave as he seemed like a straight shooter and I know he'll be missed.  Perhaps with time he'll reconsider.  Rules are rules and in retrospect I went ahead and deleted one of my posts that might be considered political.  One thing we all share is love of Larrivee guitars.

Merry Christmas to All
And thank you for understanding. I echo your sentiments above regarding duck. As I explained to someone earlier today, it's a pretty good group here and we don't have any troublemakers.
So being a mod on this forum is easy and low maintenance most of the time.
But the pandemic has been really tough on folks. People are fed up and they're frustrated.
Sometimes it spills over into other parts of their lives. That's natural and to be expected.
I think that's what happened here, so I wanted to tread lightly.
I get comments from members not approving of the moderation here from time to time. (Mine; not Joyce or tuffy's) It goes with the territory. I've got pretty thick skin.
Once in a while I even hear from someone applauding our management.
Which is nice.
And so I thank you for that.
Merry Christmas back at you, gtrplayer.
Kindest regards,
Mark

Quote from: Queequeg on December 23, 2020, 06:01:35 PM

But the pandemic has been really tough on folks. People are fed up and they’re frustrated.
Sometimes it spills over into other parts of their lives. That’s natural and to be expected.
I think that’s what happened here, so I wanted to tread lightly.

Agree with this - it's put us all on edge, and "infected" ALL our relationships (my wife and I have had our tense moments during these months, and we have to back up and stop blaming each other).

I also wish Tom all the best. We've never met except here on the forum, but I consider him a "soul brother" on the guitar front, and have a great deal of respect for his opinions and experience (and talent).

It's sometimes difficult to come back across burned bridges, but I'll be glad to see him (and hold the fire extinguisher) if he decides to come back.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Didn't see what lead to this but, come on back. This is a special community and though we don't all see eye to eye, there's something that keeps us coming back here. Even those of us who aren't actively buying Larrivees.

You're part of the Larrivee forum fam. Like any good family we get sick of each other on occasion but I hope we value what each member brings.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Have a break mate, come back when you are ready. It's been too long, you need to freshen up and a total refuel.

It was a pretty good tune...

Tom I don't know if you will see this or not but being a long time member both of us have stepped away due to acts that we thought were wrong BUT we both came back.So take some time play some guitar have a scotch on me.See you again. :wave

Mark thanks for doin what your doin sometime's its a thankless job,thanks for standing strong.AND for helping an old man out  :roll.

:cheers have a scotch on me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It's all indicative of the current cultural climate.  Some voices are getting louder, while some are being silenced.  It was suggested to ducktrapper that he go to Parler.  Seeing how that ended up only proves the point.  People are on edge and are weary of it all. The state of the world today in these matters is saddening and troubling to a lot of people.   All said, I enjoyed ducktrapper's posts and hope he returns.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on January 29, 2021, 12:35:04 PM
It's all indicative of the current cultural climate.  Some voices are getting louder, while some are being silenced.  It was suggested to ducktrapper that he go to Parler.  Seeing how that ended up only proves the point.  People are on edge and are weary of it all. The state of the world today in these matters is saddening and troubling to a lot of people.   All said, I enjoyed ducktrapper's posts and hope he returns.
I want to once again set the record straight (again).
Ducktrapper was not silenced here.
He didn't have to go anywhere.
He was never unwelcome here.
This was a decision that he made entirely on his own.
His comments we're not removed.
The YouTube he posted was not removed.
No one's comments in that thread were removed.
He announced he was leaving the Larrivee forum.
The thread was locked in order to keep things civil here.
His account is open here and his 12000+ posts are intact.
He can return any time he wishes- Unsilenced!
It is, just as it has been right along, up to him.
I fail to see why anyone here including Ducktrapper can feel mistreated in any way.

Quote from: Queequeg on January 29, 2021, 01:07:43 PM
I want to once again set the record straight (again).
Ducktrapper was not silenced here.
He didn't have to go anywhere.
He was never unwelcome here.
This was a decision that he made entirely on his own.
His comments we're not removed.
The YouTube he posted was not removed.
No one's comments in that thread were removed.
He announced he was leaving the Larrivee forum.
The thread was locked in order to keep things civil here.
His account is open here and his 12000+ posts are intact.
He can return any time he wishes- Unsilenced!
It is, just as it has been right along, up to him.
I fail to see why anyone here including Ducktrapper can feel mistreated in any way.

Sorry, did not mean to imply that anyone was mistreated.  I was just making an observation about the times and the level of frustration that abounds, but should have said nothing.  My opinion only adds to the noise. Many apologies for the misunderstanding.  

Quote from: Silence Dogood on January 29, 2021, 01:27:23 PM
Sorry, did not mean to imply that anyone was mistreated.  I was just making an observation about the times and the level of frustration that abounds, but should have said nothing.  My opinion only adds to the noise. Many apologies for the misunderstanding.  
No apologies necessary, and opinions are welcome..
:donut
:wave

The time's are the times they haven't changed it was the same in the 60',70's,80's,90's 2000's.Just that because of tech its more out there because people can hide behind aliases.I protested back in the 70's,got sprayed with tear gas but I was never violent.The worst I ever did was help lite a 6 foot joint {even got my picture in a paper}.Yes I have my thought but I don't share them,I have a brother in music who has his opinion but were still brothers.

The time's I wanted to leave the forum was because I wanted to keep my mouth shut so I didn't offend people and a few time's I did.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help