Deader Than ...

Started by ducktrapper, September 28, 2020, 02:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2020, 09:38:24 AM

Way back when, there was a time when even looping the strings became a questionable thing to do. Some maker, can't remember who, started shipping unlooped strings in long tubes.

I remember those, too (but - like you - not the brand)! They came in a long thin rectangular box. I suspect shipping the packaging alone made them impractical over the "long haul" - no pun intended.

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2020, 09:38:24 AM

Why do eggs come in a comparably delicate package and batteries in something akin to Fort Knox?   :? :cheers

I suspect part of the answer to that is eggs are cheap and easy to produce, while batteries are expensive, and more complicated to produce...and perhaps batteries are much more tempting for shoplifters? Don't know how many folks are tempted to steal eggs from the grocery store... you could easily put individual eggs in your pockets (as long as you're not walking through crowded aisles at the store; "Oops, excuse, me! Careful! Don't bump into my thick, lumpy coat!"

Meanwhile, individual batteries would also be easy to hide/steal - if you could tear open the package in the store without plastic explosives!

Holy cow - I must really be bored to spend this much time thinking about this - let alone responding to it.  :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 08, 2020, 11:39:41 AM
I remember those, too (but - like you - not the brand)! They came in a long thin rectangular box. I suspect shipping the packaging alone made them impractical over the "long haul" - no pun intended.

I suspect part of the answer to that is eggs are cheap and easy to produce, while batteries are expensive, and more complicated to produce...and perhaps batteries are much more tempting for shoplifters? Don't know how many folks are tempted to steal eggs from the grocery store... you could easily put individual eggs in your pockets (as long as you're not walking through crowded aisles at the store; "Oops, excuse, me! Careful! Don't bump into my thick, lumpy coat!"

Meanwhile, individual batteries would also be easy to hide/steal - if you could tear open the package in the store without plastic explosives!

Holy cow - I must really be bored to spend this much time thinking about this - let alone responding to it.  :whistling:

I guess, but like CDs, if you were going to steal them, would you unwrap them first? Speaking of CDs, that strip of tape they put on the plastic cases drives me crazy. It's not bad on a new release but any that have been sitting around the warehouse or store for a long while become very hard to open as the tape dries.  :yak:

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2020, 11:47:13 AM

Speaking of CDs, that strip of tape they put on the plastic cases drives me crazy. It's not bad on a new release but any that have been sitting around the warehouse or store for a long while become very hard to open as the tape dries.  :yak:

Agreed...whoever dreamed up that little strip of tape was a very sadistic person.  :mad:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 08, 2020, 11:39:41 AM

And the strings in the long rectangular boxes were:........*Nashville Straights*, IF , i'm not mistaken, ( kinda telling my age Huh?)
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on October 11, 2020, 03:22:33 PM
And the strings in the long rectangular boxes were:........*Nashville Straights*, IF , i'm not mistaken, ( kinda telling my age Huh?)

Right on! Thanks.  :beer

While we are pondering the great questions of life such as egg and battery packaging, riddle me this: why do we park on a driveway but drive on a parkway? :roll
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on October 11, 2020, 04:28:57 PM
While we are pondering the great questions of life such as egg and battery packaging, riddle me this: why do we park on a driveway but drive on a parkway? :roll

Why do we have a pair of pants when there's only one of them?  :?

Why do we say "one another"?  Shouldn't it be one and other?  Ya know, for context:  "You're going to have to jam only with one another until the social distancing restriction is lifted."  See the level of things I care about?  One wonders.

Quote from: ryler on October 17, 2020, 09:08:02 AM
Why do we say "one another"?  Shouldn't it be one and other?  Ya know, for context:  "You're going to have to jam only with one another until the social distancing restriction is lifted."  See the level of things I care about?  One wonders.

To differentiate from two anothers?  :?

Quote from: ryler on October 17, 2020, 09:08:02 AM
Go play some guitar. Escape into mindfulness.
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)