Question: How many posts should a Newbie need to PM
1 - 0 (0%)
5 - 2 (22.2%)
10 - 7 (77.8%)
25 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many posts should a Newbie need to PM  (Read 224 times)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« on: September 24, 2020, 11:23:46 PM »

As a result of the scam attempt as discussed on the Forum recently HERE How many posts do you think - there are PROS and CONS - what says you   Currently its one, changed from ten about five years ago or so

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »

As a result of the scam attempt as discussed on the Forum recently HERE How many posts do you think - there are PROS and CONS - what says you   Currently its one, changed from ten about five years ago or so

And must bring donuts!   
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »

I think ten posts is overkill. Five should do it, both as a get acquainted quantity, and it can be accomplished over a day or so.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but a new member could post something like "I'm interested in the guitar, but I can't PM yet", and the seller could PM the new member, and the new member could PM a response? Even without meeting the minimum posting requirement?
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »

5 seems reasonable.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »

Can we ask for his license and registration as well?   Just kidding.  After almost getting taken 10 posts is fine with me.  

Second thoughts. Would it really make a difference of how many posts?  I have to say the scammer was quite knowledgeable about guitars.  He asked several in depth questions that only a guitarists would ponder.  And he didn't quibble when it came to money and he came across as a nice guy.  All enticements to sale?  One thing I offered him my telephone number to open up a dialogue to facilitate the sale and he refused.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »

Second thoughts. Would it really make a difference of how many posts? 
Quite possibly not, other possibly moving the scammer on to easier prey or during the 10 posts show some inconsistencies that may raise some flags. Open to suggestions  other than licence & registration please    cop

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 01:46:23 AM »

Here's a scary thought. Caveat Emptor and Caveat Subscriptor.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »

Quite possibly not, other possibly moving the scammer on to easier prey or during the 10 posts show some inconsistencies that may raise some flags. Open to suggestions  other than licence & registration please    cop

Maybe 5 or 10 posts in non-marketplace areas before access to those areas?

Just a thought.  I’m not even sure if that’s possible.

Ed
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »

Second thoughts. Would it really make a difference of how many posts?  I have to say the scammer was quite knowledgeable about guitars.  He asked several in depth questions that only a guitarists would ponder.  And he didn't quibble when it came to money and he came across as a nice guy.  All enticements to sale?  One thing I offered him my telephone number to open up a dialogue to facilitate the sale and he refused.

I kinda picture a China boiler room where guys spend all day dreaming up way to con sellers. Maybe this guy is just banking on his guitar knowledge as a specialty. I have to wonder if he'd put in the effort to masquerade as a normal Larrivee owner to make 10 posts. He would actually have to do research on the Larrivee models which might not be worth his time.

I also once offered a potential buyer an opportunity to do a FaceTime so I could give him a detailed tour of a guitar I was offering and he refused. That was a sufficient enough red flag to fade on selling to him as I wasn't convinced he bought into the idea that the sale was final. I can't think of any reasonable scenario where a sincere potential buyer would refuse a FaceTime tour of a guitar he was thinking of buying, I know I wouldn't.

Gonna make that part of my selling protocol from now on . . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 12:19:37 AM »

Thank you all for responding 10 it is!  A year later when someone asks why do we need 10 posts to PM ??- hope some of you will remember!

mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 01:30:27 AM »

Thank you all for responding 10 it is!  A year later when someone asks why do we need 10 posts to PM ??- hope some of you will remember!
Yeah, I will.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=54207.0

Based on an incident that no one can say ever happened previously, a poll answered primarily by people who do not post items for sale in the forum exerted influence where their poll vote was more like "just put on your mask and shut up". Brilliant. No middle road considered.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 02:14:14 AM »

Personally, I don't care that much but, whether they can PM me or not, people who come on to the forum solely to sell something would immediately make me slightly leery, anyway.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »

Based on an incident that no one can say ever happened previously, a poll answered primarily by people who do not post items for sale in the forum exerted influence where their poll vote was more like "just put on your mask and shut up". Brilliant. No middle road considered.
Mike
Whether one posts in For Sale or not its somewhat irrelevant, the Forum belongs to its members, who I'm certain don't want the Forum itself to facilitate in anyone being defrauded. And BTW; What middle road Like 5 posts for instance I thought that was presented. You and one other voted for it. The rest voted for 10. Guess I should have chosen 5 though is that what you are saying Or is this one of those situations where poor communication via this medium rules the day

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: