Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So far away.......  (Read 558 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:40:13 AM »

........yeah so far away. Memories of a great band. But no matter how far, they will always be my favourite band. This was Dire Straits last tour DownUnder Sydney and my favourite version of "So Far Away". Always fills my eyes with tears. I always wished they recorded this version into their albums and share TABs. This song is an example of a great song writer and musician. I hope you like it..........

https://youtu.be/4rs9rCP_wpY
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »

Oh, I do.
I do like it.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »

I love Dire Straits and most of Mark's solo album's especially Shangri-la. I never saw DS but got to see Knopfler open for Bob Dylan about ten years ago. His new album, Privateering, had just come out but had not been released in Canada yet he insisted on playing the entire thing and begrdugingly? gave us this song as his encore. A bit of a kiss off to Dire Straits and a little insulting to his fans who would have loved to hear a song they recognized and paid a lot of money to be there. Curmudgeon. Gotta admit I was very disappointed and thought he was a dick for doing it that way and NOT playing Sultans. Oh well. Dylan sucked that night too. We'd driven 450 miles to see them.   
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:24 PM »

I love Dire Straits and most of Mark's solo album's especially Shangri-la. I never saw DS but got to see Knopfler open for Bob Dylan about ten years ago. His new album, Privateering, had just come out but had not been released in Canada yet he insisted on playing the entire thing and begrdugingly? gave us this song as his encore. A bit of a kiss off to Dire Straits and a little insulting to his fans who would have loved to hear a song they recognized and paid a lot of money to be there. Curmudgeon. Gotta admit I was very disappointed and thought he was a dick for doing it that way and NOT playing Sultans. Oh well. Dylan sucked that night too. We'd driven 450 miles to see them.   
Now, that’s rather unfortunate. I hope you get another, better opportunity.

Conversely, I saw him a few years ago here in town when he was suffering with back pain and sciatica.

Well, I’m a bit jaded, having attended hundreds of concerts over the years, but this Mark Knopfler performance stands out as among one of the very best.

Oh, and he DID play Sultans.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »

Now, that’s rather unfortunate. I hope you get another, better opportunity.

Conversely, I saw him a few years ago here in town when he was suffering with back pain and sciatica.

Well, I’m a bit jaded, having attended hundreds of concerts over the years, but this Mark Knopfler performance stands out as among one of the very best.

Oh, and he DID play Sultans.

Mind you, he was very good in a subdued sort of way as Privateering is a subdued sort of album. It's tough to hear 16 songs you never heard before. I'm more forgiving of that than a lot of folks, after all it was a Dylan concert. Most people were kind of pissed, however, which led to my "dick" comment. I'm a 'give the people what they want kind' of guy. You're not paying them to listen to you.   
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »

Damn I thought you were going to play  angry. But still a fav of mine too. crying

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »

Damn I thought you were going to play  angry. But still a fav of mine too. crying
Ha ha ha I'm not that good U Rob. I have to admit, I have been trying to work the tab out, my way. LOL I do play the original version. Sorry to disappoint my friend, better luck next time. LOL
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »

I probably would been p.ss off myself DT. Not like MK to not give his very best performance including cover songs.

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »

Oh, I do.
I do like it.

Glad you like it Queequeg 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 11:26:41 PM »

I probably would been p.ss off myself DT. Not like MK to not give his very best performance including cover songs.

Don't get me wrong, he played very well and the band was very good. However, the album Privateering was not released at the time of his performance and literally no one had heard any of the songs he played until he did 'So Far Away' as an encore. I'm not sure if he was aware of it or if it would have changed his set list. 

According to Wikipedia "The album was released in North America a full year after its European release due to a contractual dispute between Knopfler and his North American distributors." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateering_(album)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: