Covid19/Coronavirus - How's it affecting your world?

Started by JOYCEfromNS, March 12, 2020, 08:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 14, 2020, 10:46:48 AM
Went and stocked up but now I guess I'll have to shoot the dog.  :winkin:
How much for the pooch? He looks pretty soft to me... :whistling:
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 14, 2020, 10:46:48 AM
Went and stocked up but now I guess I'll have to shoot the dog.  :winkin:
Ha ha ha........what a darling.

People here in the San Francisco are crazy, lining up by the hundreds at Costco to buy truckloads of TP.  I don't get it, is there a sudden onset of mass diarrhea ??
I just had a gig canceled, I was scheduled to play in a wine cave for a corporate event dinner.   The Bay Area counties have banned gatherings of more than 250, so I won't be playing at church for a few weeks either.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

In my strange world at this time of year we prep for hurrican season so we already have tp and paper towels,can goods and other such needs.

I did work a gathering of 250 or people to celabrate lif on the passing of brother musician though I didn't play I was the deck monkey and hugged and clasp hands with a lot of people.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

People have lost their minds - and proven that they are lemmings following each other into the sea (or into the local Wal-Mart in search of paper goods!).

Is this why?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 15, 2020, 02:39:41 PM
People have lost their minds - and proven that they are lemmings following each other into the sea (or into the local Wal-Mart in search of paper goods!).

Is this why?

:roll :roll :roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 15, 2020, 02:39:41 PM

Is this why?
:roll.......... :+1:

The fetishization of toilet paper ain't nothin' if it ain't a real-time commentary on our education systems  :nana_guitar

It's a virus: unless you have open wounds, it's not gonna getcha through your skin - just don't stick your fingers in your eyes, ears, nose, mouth or other moist channels before you've washed them thoroughly.  This is the common sense stuff we all grew up with, there are things you don't do until you've washed your hands.

Hand sanitizers are far less effective than washing your hands properly with plain old soap - and soap is a whole lot cheaper.

The kind of masks the public has access to are designed to prevent the wearer from spreading things, they have zero ability to stop the wearer from inhaling pathogens.

For many people, it is not a terribly virulent virus, but for many older folks, or people with other conditions, it is something their bodies have never had a chance to develop immunity to when they were younger/healthier - hence the "novel" part of the name. So all these isolation steps we are taking are to help prevent the virus from spreading to people who's bodies may not be able to fight it off.

For the rest of us, remember what your folks taught you, keep your fingers out of your orifices, wash your hands before eating, don't sneeze or, cough on people, and for heaven's sake, don't lick door knobs or strange guitar necks

Sure lots of things are cancelled, but reading isn't cancelled, conversation isn't cancelled, music isn't cancelled . . .

Stay safe all!

Oops - forgot to mention, Ottawa is also apparently out of toilet paper . . . hopefully it avoids it's traditional diarrheic tendencies anyway  :guitar

Not so bad here, mostly cause we are in a more rural area.
The big grocery chain, HEB, is well stocked, but still, well, you already know what shelves have nothing on them.
They have gone from 24 hour to open 8 to 8, and access to the store thru a single entrance to flow people past the wipes for the carts. Today was the police chiefs day to do traffic cop duty at the door, he knows us.
There are limits on perishables, but they do have milk, various beef and chicken. Actually most people around here started stocking up on non-perishables about 6 weeks ago, so it isn't really a madhouse. Employees get people lined up for checkout. It is very organized. The deli is closed, but the deli case is fully stocked with various stuff. The store restaurant is closed. The gas station/convenience store part is open 6 to 10, gas is available 24 hours if you use plastic. Regular is now $1.91.

We don't go to the store every day anyhow, but tell you what, I would hate to live in our old neighborhood in San Antonio.
As far as the rest goes, well, my sister in law in England (north of London) is mid-70's and is going to have to suffer with trying to stay away from people for the next 4 months (new guidance for older folks). Brother in law in Sweden likes to travel, and can't now. Stepson works at IKEA headquarters, which is temporarily closed due to employees returning from trips abroad and testing positive. and of course, none of them can travel to the US from Sweden or the UK.

I have about 10 sets of guitar strings, so I am set! The dogs have plenty of food, the hens have plenty of feed.
I hope we can all get through this without scars, and our thoughts are about those in more dire straits.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

In my best Rodney Dangerfield voice:

"I can't get no respect, not even from the latest flu pandemic. Sure I got sick, but I couldn't even attract this year's Corona virus 19...I got last year's leftover Corona virus 18..."

Sorry - my sad try at  :humour:

It may seem that I'm that I'm making fun here but its my way of dealing.I've lost 6 gig's my best bud also does stage work for the union beside's playing gig's this is how he makes his living.Me I've had a bunch of repairs not coming in.My wife will be working from home for at least a month.BUT you need to keep smiling and have a sence of humour or you'll end up going insane and I'm insane enough.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 16, 2020, 02:31:15 PM
This, too, shall pass.

And when it passes, apparently, you're going to need a load of toilet paper!  :whistling: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 16, 2020, 04:53:59 PM
And when it passes, apparently, you're going to need a load of toilet paper!  :whistling: 
:roll........ :thumb

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 16, 2020, 02:31:15 PM
This, too, shall pass.

Apparently (and given what appears to be the average age around here), the hard part will be whether we pass along with it...

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 16, 2020, 11:08:38 PM
Apparently (and given what appears to be the average age around here), the hard part will be whether we pass along with it...

Ed
[/quote

Heh heh heh,  Not funny  :wacko:
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Washington DC area - much like everywhere else. Store shelves stripped like a snow storm or hurricane is coming. Restaurants, bars, streets almost empty. Schools and churches closed. Concerts and any other 'gathering' events postponed or cancelled.

Fortunately for me, bicycling in the country is safe, still allowed, even healthy. My job, IT Project manager, easily shifts to 100% telework. Plus I get to play my guitar more instead of commuting.

I tell folks that I have survived being shot at and a parachute malfunction - this bug is not going to take me out.

Grace and peace all!

Lou 'Hooked' Klein
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Went to one of the Wal-Marts we shop at (in Spirit Lake, IA, 35 miles from where we live in the sticks), and expected - again - no TP or paper products. But in the meat section EVERY POUND of hamburger was also GONE! Lots of empty shelves in the canned goods aisles (like canned soup) and not much left in the liquid soap section (not even bottles of refills).

When we checked out, our cashier told us, "When we get toilet paper in, it's gone in 25 minutes."

Some of the local grocery stores have a new policy - for the first hour they're open each day, only senior citizen's can shop (to get the essentials that have been restocked). There are also some limits on how much of staples anyone can purchase.

Having all our restaurants shut down locally is tough on them. My wife and I are going to make a concerted effort to order from them for carry-out (as much as our budget realistically allows).

We did help support the economy yesterday. Finally bought a new couch and "love seat" for our living room - an anniversary present from me to my bride of 37 years. They were having major sales (as usual - lol), 40% off, and it will be delivered next week (another reality of living in the sticks - not this week, but next week!).

Y''all take care, and live life as normally as you can! (IOW, play some guitar today.)

:donut :coffee

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 18, 2020, 08:33:32 AM
Went to one of the Wal-Marts we shop at (in Spirit Lake, IA, 35 miles from where we live in the sticks), and expected - again - no TP or paper products. But in the meat section EVERY POUND of hamburger was also GONE! Lots of empty shelves in the canned goods aisles (like canned soup) and not much left in the liquid soap section (not even bottles of refills).

:donut :coffee

They were even out of the left handed toilet paper??
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"