Gene Clark - No Other

Started by ducktrapper, January 03, 2020, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For some reason, Fongie touting Rick Nelson got me thinking of The Stone Canyon Band and then of this album. In case you don't remember, Gene Clark was a member of the original Byrds and their main songwriter (other than Dylan). Anyone listen to this? I just put the headphones on and sat through it. Wow! Definitely mid 70's California. A lot heavier than Nelson but along the same lines as his later work. Closer to Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" or maybe Tim Buckley? Described as a great lost album. I have to agree. Cool songs. Strong vocals. Brilliant production. Terrific playing by many of the who's who of the L.A. studios at the time. Oddly, I've had this in my collection for many years and I don't think I've ever really listened to it. At least, I haven't really heard it. Anyway, if you like intense, spacey country/folk rock, you may like this.  :cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Other

Can't say I've heard of him so I just clicked to youtube and yes I see what you mean. I like it. :thumb

Quote from: fongie on January 05, 2020, 04:37:20 PM
Can't say I've heard of him so I just clicked to youtube and yes I see what you mean. I like it. :thumb

Initially, he was the front man for The Byrds but internal politics along with his stage fright and fear of flying soon caused him to leave the group. He wrote and sang I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (When You're Gone) and penned Eight Miles High, two of their biggest hits. One of his most famous songs was probably the one The Eagles did. Trains Leaves Here This Morning. A song I've decided to learn and include in the ol' repertoire. I've been listening to all his albums on Amazon Prime and I really like most of it. It's the kind of music that has to grow on you, apparently. A quick drive by doesn't do it justice.  :beer  

Being a huge Byrds fan I'm well familiar with him. A rather troubled guy as you eluded too who ended up self destructing. I have to be in the right mood for most of his stuff. The album you mentioned probably my favorite but there's a few gems elsewhere as well. His early pre-Byrds stuff is very folky in a 63/63 Kingston trio kinda way.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on January 06, 2020, 09:25:44 AM
Being a huge Byrds fan I'm well familiar with him. A rather troubled guy as you eluded too who ended up self destructing. I have to be in the right mood for most of his stuff. The album you mentioned probably my favorite but there's a few gems elsewhere as well. His early pre-Byrds stuff is very folky in a 63/63 Kingston trio kinda way.

Yes I have White Light on CD, as well. Good but not great. I've been listening to what's available on Amazon Music which is pretty much everything. The one with Carla Olson is quite good too. And, of course, Dillard and Clark.  :thumbsup

Dillard and Clark good! I like his song She Darkened the Sun. A little weird and dark "with the length of her mind she darkened the sun" Ha. But still remains kinda upbeat and light. There another version of that song on one of his albums that's a little different but good too.
Here's a good one. Tried So Hard. With early Clarence White electric on it to boot. And I'm not sure how many people realize that Vern Gosdin and his brother, who gene is playing with here, were at the forefront of country rock. Or that Chris Hillman played killer mandolin as an 18 year old with the Gosdin Brothers,  bluegrass.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfu-3iGQIZA 

Quote from: flatlander on January 06, 2020, 01:00:00 PM
Dillard and Clark good! I like his song She Darkened the Sun. A little weird and dark "with the length of her mind she darkened the sun" Ha. But still remains kinda upbeat and light. There another version of that song on one of his albums that's a little different but good too.
Here's a good one. Tried So Hard. With early Clarence White electric on it to boot. And I'm not sure how many people realize that Vern Gosdin and his brother, who gene is playing with here, were at the forefront of country rock. Or that Chris Hillman played killer mandolin as an 18 year old with the Gosdin Brothers,  bluegrass.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfu-3iGQIZA

For my money, Linda Ronstadt did the best version of She (He) Dark the Sun. Your Youtube link is kind of screwed up, by the way. I had to cut and paste it but here it is. That's a good one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfu-3iGQIZA

Thanks for getting link down. I don't know what deal is with that. I tried it again and hit preview and see the line under it, looks good. Then when I save it goes away?

Quote from: flatlander on January 06, 2020, 07:29:09 PM
Thanks for getting link down. I don't know what deal is with that. I tried it again and hit preview and see the line under it, looks good. Then when I save it goes away?

I've noticed that before. I don't know why it happens but when it does you pretty much have to delete the whole post and start over to fix it. 

:+1:
QuoteHe wrote and sang I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (When You're Gone)
Had to get in on this... When I make a recommendation to some younger folks (yes, I know that includes most everybody these days) about classic rock gems this one's always at the top of my list.  They Byrds version is spot on, but it's even good played solo acoustic too.  Simple straightforward chords, but very tasty nonetheless.

Also,
QuoteChris Hillman played killer mandolin as an 18 year old
Hillman was part of so many great musical adventures. He first really turned my head with the Burrito Brothers, then with Manassas.  I've also enjoyed his collaborations with Herb Pedersen.  I think if anybody had a "front row seat" for pop/rock/folk/bluegrass in the last 50 years Hillman sure qualifies.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

[/quote]
Also,Hillman was part of so many great musical adventures. He first really turned my head with the Burrito Brothers, then with Manassas.  I've also enjoyed his collaborations with Herb Pedersen.  I think if anybody had a "front row seat" for pop/rock/folk/bluegrass in the last 50 years Hillman sure qualifies.
[/quote]
Hillman is usually understated in his playing and so I wonder how many people don't realize how good he is and has always been. A prodigy. Here he is pre-Byrds. He was so good at 18 that Vern and Rex Gosdin, who had an established name as one of the top Bluegrass Bands in California, changed their name to the Hillmen when he join. This instrumental shows why. The whole album is good too BTW.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYibcwQ2Rv8

:nana_guitar
QuoteHere he is pre-Byrds
What a jewel, thanks for the link...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH