Lyric or M-80?

Started by fongie, December 07, 2019, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can you please school me..........I have a custom built which I have always use a Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pickup in it but I think it's time for a change.

I don't want a K&K, I have that on all my other guitars. Two that comes to mind are Lyric or M-80. I have never used either before, I will be using both for finger picking and strumming and playing at small gatherings. The M-80 sounds like a easy fix but how does it sound. Cheers

The M80 and its active brother is the pu that I tell my old Gibson players to buy nice sounding not to electric pu sounding.

I'm not a fan of the lyric as it seems to work in some body types and not others.Me I'd go with the Anthym SL from baggs or even the I-Beam.If you go with the passive I-bean get there pre amp,if active having the pre amp is an added bonus because it also a direct box.

NOW WHAT YA GETTIN???????

:wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: fongie on December 07, 2019, 05:24:34 PM
Can you please school me..........I have a custom built which I have always use a Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pickup in it but I think it's time for a change.
You did not say what brand or model of guitar it is.
Maybe you have mentioned it in the past.
That info will help.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 07, 2019, 08:16:57 PM
You did not say what brand or model of guitar it is.
Maybe you have mentioned it in the past.
That info will help.
Mike
Mike there is no brand name just a Custom built here in Australia.........Sunken Mahogany B&S, Californian Redwood Top, 0000 size 16" low end, 12 fret, Scalloped bracings, cutaway.

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 07, 2019, 06:38:19 PM
The M80 and its active brother is the pu that I tell my old Gibson players to buy nice sounding not to electric pu sounding.

I'm not a fan of the lyric as it seems to work in some body types and not others.Me I'd go with the Anthym SL from baggs or even the I-Beam.If you go with the passive I-bean get there pre amp,if active having the pre amp is an added bonus because it also a direct box.

NOW WHAT YA GETTIN???????

:wave
Thanks Uncle Rob.........Now that you've mentioned it, I'm starting to lean closer to the M-80. I'm looking for something simple, not too complicated. I have a "Fishman Gold Plus Natural 1" laying around. I was tempted to install that but I decided I want simplicity.

The lyric sounded ok in a dread and an slope shoulder but it s**ked in smaller bodies.The M80 is a good choice simple as it gets.Do get a pre-amp.Will want pix of the newbie coming in.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I have the M1 passive in two L-bodies, and the K&K pure mini in two OMs and an L-body.
Overall, I am happy with the M1 and the M80 is better.
I do need to use the M1 thru the Baggs Para DI for gain and tone to get it to sound in the same range as the K&K.
Need to make sure your sound hole is at least 3.5 inches, that will clear the mounting screws.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 08, 2019, 11:41:20 AM
The lyric sounded ok in a dread and an slope shoulder but it s**ked in smaller bodies.The M80 is a good choice simple as it gets.Do get a pre-amp.Will want pix of the newbie coming in.
Pre-amp..........what would you recommend U Rob? And I only use the pre-amp when the M-80 is on "Passive" mode right? Cheers

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 08, 2019, 03:21:15 PM
I have the M1 passive in two L-bodies, and the K&K pure mini in two OMs and an L-body.
Overall, I am happy with the M1 and the M80 is better.
I do need to use the M1 thru the Baggs Para DI for gain and tone to get it to sound in the same range as the K&K.
Need to make sure your sound hole is at least 3.5 inches, that will clear the mounting screws.
Mike
Sounds like the M-80 is the one. Yes my sound hole is 3.5" wide. I really like the added new features, like the "Battery check button" and the "Active and Passive switch". Cheers

Okay the search is on...........

Thanks so much U Rob to you and Mike.............Merry Christmas to you both.

Done.........purchased one from the US. Didn't get a pre-amp yet, I will wait. Now for the wait.

All done, M-80 installed today, so excited. Love how straight forward it was to install.

Oh my, just plugged in.........Pink Floyd "Wish you were here", sounds awesome. Very happy.

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar        :wave      :cheers

Glad to read that you now have happy ears and dancin feet.

Rock on :nanadance
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 23, 2019, 08:26:30 PM
:nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar        :wave      :cheers

Glad to read that you now have happy ears and dancin feet.

Rock on :nanadance
Thanks to you U-Rob..........Cheers.

Merry Christmas........... I hope you had your teeth done?

Quote from: fongie on December 23, 2019, 09:27:18 PM
Thanks to you U-Rob..... I hope you had your teeth done?

They have been done for years. :tongue:

55 years of cig smoking and 53 years of other stuff smoked.Pass this on  DON'T SMOKE  :wave

Anti biotics cleared everything up.Plus some good single malt help make me not care for a week how much they hurt.One day I'll have the dime to get them fixed or removed.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I'm please to hear the antibiotic is helping U-Rob. Oh yes smoking, don't worry I had my fair share myself. Was too young for Woodstock but still had my fair share of fun, especially with those weird and wonderful, you know what?.  :whistling: