NGOD (New Guitar Order Day) ARRIVED!!!

Started by Mikeymac, October 07, 2019, 10:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okay, since it's been a little slow around here, guess I might as well post this...

...last week I ordered a low end quasi-Martin: an HPL-bodied lefty Johnny Cash DX. Part of their Mexican line, basically an HPL with their multi-laminate/layer *wood* neck, painted black with a couple Johnny Cash identifying marks on it. But it also has a pickup in it, and comes with a gig bag with a "Cash" logo on it... so we'll see.

They don't keep lefties of these in stock, so it will be another month or two before I see it. Basically a take-anywhere/don't-worry-about-it guitar that can be plugged in if needed.

MSRP on these is $799; the right dealer sold it to me for $529 shipped to my door.

Martin Johnny Cash DX

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Got an e-mail on Wednesday that my guitar has shipped from Martin to my dealer... so... it will travel from PA to AZ, then from there "back" to Minnesota (!).  Crazy to do all that shipping on a very inexpensive instrument - which had free shipping included in the very low price already (40% off MSRP)!

Full report when it arrives (probably around 8-10 days from now).

Ironically, around 2 weeks ago I saw a pic of a lefty JC DX in Vintage Guitar Magazine! Was surprised that they showed a lefty in the ad:

You know that black guitars steal finger prints from all who pass by out to about a mile.... :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 01, 2019, 02:33:12 PM
You know that black guitars steal finger prints from all who pass by out to about a mile.... :wave

LOL! This one shouldn't - it's matt/flat black. Shouldn't be too bad.  :thumbsup

Arrives via FedEx on Monday...  :nanadance :nana_guitar

The guitar arrived yesterday, safe and sound - on the same day as a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp that I got a great price on (what a great amp)!

The JC DX sounds very good plugged in; it sounds a bit muffled on the wound strings unplugged. Today I (already) changed the strings to Monel Retro Mediums - and some of the snap came back on those lower strings; we'll see what works long term.

But I don't expect this thing to sound like a standard series Martin (or Larrivee - duh!), and it accomplishes what I wanted - a great plugged in sound on a guitar that can be knocked around or slightly abused by heat and cold...and a guitar that has a great "cool" factor!

Work has been conspiring against me this week, so these aren't well staged pics - just evidence that it did indeed arrive - and that these all black guitars look great with Monel Retro Nickel strings on 'em!

I have no doubt that it will work just fine but I wonder if the name Martin makes a laminate guitar worth more than one made in China named ... Milton? Here's my issue with this and it's stupid, of course, but does GM make a Chevette and call it a Cadillac? I don't blame them, I just sigh at the reality.   :arrow

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 10, 2019, 03:21:52 PM
these aren't well staged pics - just evidence that it did indeed arrive - and that these all black guitars look great with Monel Retro Nickel strings on 'em!
Well bless your little heart.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 10, 2019, 06:01:16 PM
I have no doubt that it will work just fine but I wonder if the name Martin makes a laminate guitar worth more than one made in China named ... Milton? Here's my issue with this and it's stupid, of course, but does GM make a Chevette and call it a Cadillac? I don't blame them, I just sigh at the reality.   :arrow

I suppose it might be worth a little more - only because - there is a Martin warranty behind it and it IS made to very high standards, even though the materials are kitchen cabinet fare...

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 11, 2019, 11:46:00 AM
:?
Mike,
We are very happy for you. It is a very nice looking guitar. I used to be a black guitar nut, still have an old Yamaha acoustic in black (gloss).
I am also interested in how the battery-op Fishman works out. I have been thinking about a LB Mini or Artist, cause the JC-120 is really too big to lug around.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 11, 2019, 11:20:00 AM
I suppose it might be worth a little more - only because - there is a Martin warranty behind it and it IS made to very high standards, even though the materials are kitchen cabinet fare...

I've had this problem with Martin since they stopped marketing these kind of guitars with names like Sigma and Goya etc. The Martin name used to mean the highest quality instruments not ... decent laminates. It used to be if someone said, "I own a Martin", it meant only the finest guitars. Sigmas and Goyas could be nice guitars, by the way. Anyway, glad you're happy with it and the world will continue to rotate, bringing things that old curmudgeons disapprove of ... and ... get offa my lawn!   :cheers

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 11, 2019, 01:51:24 PM

I am also interested in how the battery-op Fishman works out. I have been thinking about a LB Mini or Artist, cause the JC-120 is really too big to lug around.

What I can tell you so far is that it sounds excellent - I'm assuming it's the same as the non-battery model in terms of "guts".  The battery unit charges from the wall...nice - no throw away batteries to buy! Don't know yet how long a charge lasts, but in playing the unit both plugged in and on the battery only I didn't detect any change in volume or tone.

It's not light for it's size, BUT it puts out huge tone for it's size... and it's a heckuva lot lighter and smaller than my Fender Acoustasonic, Jr. - or your JC 120!

Also - this was a "B Stock" item - but it came new in the box, doesn't look like it was ever opened, and I can't find a mark or scratch on it! $369.00 versus $529.00 MAP!!! And free shipping...

See link: http://www.proaudiostar.com/fishman-pro-lbc-500-loudbox-mini-charge.html

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 11, 2019, 05:40:21 PM
I've had this problem with Martin since they stopped marketing these kind of guitars with names like Sigma and Goya etc. The Martin name used to mean the highest quality instruments not ... decent laminates. It used to be if someone said, "I own a Martin", it meant only the finest guitars. Sigmas and Goyas could be nice guitars, by the way. Anyway, glad you're happy with it and the world will continue to rotate, bringing things that old curmudgeons disapprove of ... and ... get offa my lawn!   :cheers

Yep - I totally get this, and don't disagree with you. Gibson still has Epiphone... but other companies like Taylor and Guild put their name on all their lines - whether built in the USA or elsewhere... so there you go.

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 11, 2019, 09:07:04 PM
Yep - I totally get this, and don't disagree with you. Gibson still has Epiphone... but other companies like Taylor and Guild put their name on all their lines - whether built in the USA or elsewhere... so there you go.

Uh huh. Oddly, Larrivée made some all wood 01's, sold them for about what these others sold for and, having owned four, I can tell you that Larrivée does not seem to know how to make a "cheap" guitar. I'm still hoping to find a D-01 some day.  :beer

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 13, 2019, 03:21:46 PM
Uh huh. Oddly, Larrivée made some all wood 01's, sold them for about what these others sold for and, having owned four, I can tell you that Larrivée does not seem to know how to make a "cheap" guitar. I'm still hoping to find a D-01 some day.  :beer

You know, you may be right DT, I have never seen a cheap Larrivee either.