Gibson 'Original Collection' Les Paul Gold Top

Started by maplebaby, June 16, 2019, 10:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A lot of players looking at this new series from Gibson...just received this guitar and wanted to share it hoping other would chime in with pics and comments from other Original Collection guitars!

Very nice. I've always had a soft spot for Goldtops, but have never owned one (almost bought an R7 many years ago, but couldn't justify it at the time). Maybe someday.

That one looks sweet! Congrats!  :bowdown:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: maplebaby on June 16, 2019, 10:23:38 AM
A lot of players looking at this new series from Gibson...just received this guitar and wanted to share it hoping other would chime in with pics and comments from other Original Collection guitars!

Once upon a time, when I was a somewhat younger man, while living in Nova Scotia, and working in a music store in Dartmouth, a guy came in to sell his 1958 gold top. Lucky me, the only guy at the counter at the time. So I bought it. Still have the old leather strap that it came with.
2 P90's, original brown case, toured with it for a while, and alas some-one else with more money than me, just had to have that very guitar.

no regrets, things happen for a reason.

UNTIL I saw THIS guitar at a GC store in the states. decades after the previous story.

And honestly, this Larrivee RS4 (one of 2 made- according to Matt) is 10 times the guitar that old Les Paul was.
of course the status and bragging rites of the LP meant something, not any more...

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

This is the guitar I most closely associate with Duane Allman and Dickey Betts from their meteoric days of yore.
I can't look at a Gold Top without thinking of that music.
I guess I imprinted on it.
Never owned one, as even then I was more of an acoustic player.
:nice guitar:

Cool guitar.  But it's the same LP with a new name.  Just like all the Strats over the years with new names and higher price tags.  It's amazing that these companies can keep selling the same thing over and over for decades while presenting it like it's something different. 

In real "today" dollars, the prices on some of the new ones is actually lower...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Silence Dogood on June 17, 2019, 11:23:30 AM
Cool guitar.  But it's the same LP with a new name.  Just like all the Strats over the years with new names and higher price tags.  It's amazing that these companies can keep selling the same thing over and over for decades while presenting it like it's something different. 

Indeed, but even back in the 70's touring and playing the a start the same vintage as the LP, I could never get used to going back and forth because of the two different scale lengths .
I'm 25.5 guy, and that is exactly what the RS4 Gold top is, which ( I feel) is a terrific thing) many people don't think so. Thinking a similar guitar to a Gibson "should" have the Gibson scale. to each their own....

at the end of the day....
"play it like you stole it"
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2019, 02:52:32 AM
This is the guitar I most closely associate with Duane Allman and Dickey Betts from their meteoric days of yore.
I can't look at a Gold Top without thinking of that music.
I guess I imprinted on it.
Never owned one, as even then I was more of an acoustic player.
:nice guitar:

Thanks...appreciate you checking this out!

The 57 Goldtop is a nice guitar but having once owned a 52 with the LP trapeze tailpiece with no neck binding 2 P90's thats the real original Sorry no pix.My all time fav was the 53 with the wrap-a-round tailpiece and 2 P90's.Now if I was still doing electric music and if Gibson made them at a low price I'd have one.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help