Feedback issues with K&K pure mini

Started by Rex, April 16, 2019, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone,

First question-where am I supposed to post the donuts?

Second question-I have recently installed a K&K pure mini in my Larrivee D-40. Sounds great in an acoustic or studio setting, but, cannot control the feedback in a full-band setting. I play through a Fishman Loudbox, no pre-amp. I added a Boss GE-7 to help EQ out some of the frequencies, helped a lot, but didn't resolve the issue. A lot of body noise when playing chunk or slap style rhythm. Also popping noise when holding the guitar while using strap. Transducer picks up EVERYTHING!

I am now looking at installing LR Baggs Element or Anthem, possibly a Fishman Matrix under the saddle. Just worried about losing the rich tones and creating a "tinny" sound with the under saddle piezo (had that issue with my D-35 under saddle pickup). My Martin Custom has a Fishman under saddle and it sounds great.

I need player's advice...... :donut :donut :donut
Texas Music Christian Association - GAL 2:20

Even the Loadbox is a good amp I have found that the K+K needs to have it matching pre amp before the amp as it a sort of buffer.The K+K pu is a very hot pu and puts a tad to much signal.You may also want to add a feedback buster in your sound hole.I use the Anthem SL in my main gigging guitar my backup has an active Ibeam and my Guild 12 string came with a Fishman system.Though at this time I'm not playing acoustic in an electric band I have used the active Ibeam in one a few years back and never had an issue but I do run all my guitars thru a Baggs PARA direct into thr PA.Hope this helps.

Welcome to the loony bin. :wave

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It's an impedance matching thing with the K+K. Lots of posts here on the topic. 
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

A (loud) full band setting is about the only place where I wouldn't recommend a K&K.  You could try a soundhole cover thing...  feedback buster (or whatever they call it).  But, in a full out loud band, the wide range of a good acoustic guitar sound isn't useful anyway...  you need to find the band that works and look at what will amplify it the best.  In a setting like that, a sound hole pickup is probably best (and again, with a soundhole cover thing).

Ed

On most of my guitars I have 2 pick-ups and use a stereo cord. Run them into a Tone Bone where you can set levels for each PU. (and also set impedance) Good EQ including notch which can help zero in on trouble spot. Usually mix leans towards more K&K, under saddle does help bass. But if in too loud a situation you can just use under the saddle. Consider which PU you want on tip of jack as that is what you'll get if using regular non-stereo cord. (to be safe I have under saddle on tip)  And yes feedback buster in sound hole helps a lot but you do lose something in tone as top not allowed to vibrate freely.. Loud monitors in front of you are a major factor. Use as little as you need or point away so not blasting right into top of guitar. Good luck!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

First, I'll say I don't play in a loud band, but I HAVE played in many LOUD venues, which may or may not be the same thing.

Second, I've never had feedback with my K&K in any of the 5 guitars they are installed in, that wasn't killed by simply clicking the phase reversal button on the K&K Pure Preamp.  Simple procedure to flip Phase reversal on and off during full band portion of the sound check and leave it in position with no feedback.

Also, the K&K preamp is voiced to naturally hold back boomy body noise from overly aggressive playing styles.  Asking the sound man to apply a 80hrz High Pass filter (kills freqs below 8hz) will also help kill the booming from aggressive playing style.

Cheers and hope this helps.
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com