Humidity...

Started by eded, October 22, 2018, 07:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 weeks ago, we had the AC running, mostly to keep the humidity I check.  Now the temps are consistently 30°f lower and the humidity 30% lower.  Within a week, it'll be time to run the humidifiers.

Time to monitor folks.

Ed

For anyone wondering where to get hygrometers, Walmart has them for $11.

As an Arizonan, I don't actually have to "monitor".  It's always too dry.  Filling the humidifiers is a year-round thing.

Quote from: AZLiberty on August 25, 2019, 03:02:57 PM
As an Arizonan, I don't actually have to "monitor".  It's always too dry.  Filling the humidifiers is a year-round thing.
Same here in Far West Texas, need to humidify year round.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

I live in Florida and the challenge this time of year here is keeping the humidity down. Too cool for the air to come on and not cool enough for the heat. In room is running around 60%. I have the humidipaks in the case and it is about 55% in the body of the guitar. I am not sure why it wont bring it down below 50%. I am waiting for a call back from D'addario customer service. It isnt at a dangerous level but I would like for it to work as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There could be a couple reasons why the humidity is remaining at 55%. The desiccants can only hold so much moisture and they may have reached their limit. You might need more to reduce it further.

You're hygrometer might also be off. I don't know if you purchased one that can be calibrated or not, but you can Google hygrometer salt calibration and view how to see if your hygrometer is accurate. (No huge surprise... many are not)

Lastly, your humidity is relative to the temperature you are experiencing and different temperature air will be able to hold different volumes of overall water vapor before reaching saturation, where it will condense. 60%RH@72°F isn't the same water vapor density as 60%RH@80°F. You may be in a situation that if your desiccants are rated for 50%RH@72°F, which is 11.75 Depression, it would be equal to the same 11.75 depression number at 55%RH@80°F and you have reached the effective limit in the environment you are in.

Not sure your temperature though...

The good news is that 55%RH@80°F is within the parameters of maintenance. It will have the same water vapor density as 50%RH@72°F and Larrivee Care & Maintenance states 42%RH@72°F to 55%RH@72°F will have no problems in this range.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass