OM-40R Custom Build progress

Started by USNavySeniorChief, February 26, 2015, 04:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great picture of the 40 series bracing. I guess that's what they all get?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: dependan on March 03, 2015, 02:58:46 PM
This is a really cool thread.  :nice guitar:

Thanks! Right now I'm trying to decide if the guitar should have a pickguard or not b/c I'm mainly a fingerstyle player.
"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."

Quote from: broKen on March 03, 2015, 03:14:26 PM
Great picture of the 40 series bracing. I guess that's what they all get?

Yes. That's his new hybrid design. I believe he mentioned that they still do some final brace shaving or adjustments to customize the sound of the top prior to installation.

Larrivee's are really top notch when it comes to their signature sound and their instrument build quality control.

Quote from: USNavySeniorChief on March 03, 2015, 03:28:42 PM
Yes. That's his new hybrid design. I believe he mentioned that they still do some final brace shaving or adjustments to customize the sound of the top prior to installation.

Larrivee's are really top notch when it comes to their signature sound and their instrument build quality control.

Here's a side by side comparison on Martin vs. Larrivee's top bracing style on their 40 series.

Picture of standard Larrivee bracing.

Quote from: USNavySeniorChief on March 03, 2015, 03:20:45 PM
Thanks! Right now I'm trying to decide if the guitar should have a pickguard or not b/c I'm mainly a fingerstyle player.

mY $.02... Go with a clear pickguard...  so you can see the entire lovely top... BobW...  :guitar

Quote from: bobw on March 03, 2015, 05:12:38 PM

mY $.02... Go with a clear pickguard...  so you can see the entire lovely top... BobW...  :guitar

I think I'll request Jean to not install the pickguard for now. You're correct about the top. I was going to go for an Adi top until Jean showed me his stash of Canadian Sitka!  :drool:

He's got a great collection of fine tone woods!

Quote from: USNavySeniorChief on March 03, 2015, 06:12:09 PM
I think I'll request Jean to not install the pickguard for now. You're correct about the top. I was going to go for an Adi top until Jean showed me his stash of Canadian Sitka!  :drool:

He's got a great collection of fine tone woods!

I love this thread!!

Was an Adi top an option for you? I chose an Adi top too, but I had to provide it myself from the fine guys at Old Standard Wood.

Quote from: Frostbite Slim on March 03, 2015, 07:14:46 PM
I love this thread!!

Was an Adi top an option for you? I chose an Adi top too, but I had to provide it myself from the fine guys at Old Standard Wood.

After speaking with Matt and after seeing the choices wood that Jean had To offer, I didn't even bother to ask them. Jean "schooled" me on what I needed for this guitar after seeing and hearing me play the sample OM 40R in his shop. Me had no choice but to follow the "guitar zen master" on this one. LOL! :smile:

Looks like Matt picked out some very high grade dead straight cut rosewood for the back.  Very nice. 

I personally would insist on no pickguard, though I'm sure Jean would be willing to ship the standard one "uninstalled".

Presented this plaque I made for Jean today. I think it's only fitting to put together something personal to the person who's building me a very personal guitar.

I built it from woods that I got while I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Cuban Granadillo and old growth Cuban mahogany.

Very cool sir. Great idea.
Pain is a good thing

Very nice gift!  And, thanks for all of the bracing photos.
Larrivee 00-40R

Quote from: WileE on March 06, 2015, 05:50:05 PM
Very nice gift!  And, thanks for all of the bracing photos.

No prob. TGIF!!!!!  :cheers

Lovely thread, nice to see Jean looking as enthusiastic about his builds as he was when I ordered my first one from him, way back in 1972. ( back then he built 2 at a time-in Toronto)

Of course we were both much younger then, but reading this, still makes me proud to still be playing his guitars, after all these years.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Headstock update.

I just recently upgraded for a slotted headstock similar to the one pictured below. Only difference is, mine will have a rosewood veneer to match the back and sides of the OM-40.

BTW. I drooled a little while posting this. LOL!

I saw and played this guitar today (OOO KOA) and was blown away! Out of respect to the future owner I'll refrain from posting the rest of the pictures I got from them. If this guitar finds its way to a current or future forum member.., you're gonna get a gorgeous and great sounding guitar!

Just for fun, at the moment, what is your dream Larrivee custom shop guitar?

I guess if I ever saw a twelve fret L with 1 13/16" neck, sitka top and lacewood or walnut body, preferably lacewood since my SD has walnut, I just might buy it. Gloss looks nice but to flashy and impractical for man of my skill and caliber. I think I might come up with some headstock inlay befitting a simple, hardworking, blue collar, spiritual man that I am...or was. Getting older and slowing down some. Anyway, my dream guitar has changed some since the last time this topic was discussed.
Pain is a good thing