Larrivee Ukulele

Started by Dulcilo, April 19, 2014, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a Larrivee koa soprano ukulele stamped with the number 036465. Can anyone tell me what year this might have been made? I bought it from a consignment shop. I has abalone around the sound hole but it does not have the abalone binding. Anyone know what tension strings or brand are best for these ukuleles? I have emailed Larrivee and not gotten a reply to my questions. Anyone on this forum with any experience with the ukuleles? Thanks in advance.

Did you follow the instructions here?

http://www.larrivee.com/obtainManufactureDate.php

When you can, some pics would be great!

Ed

Quote from: eded on April 20, 2014, 06:59:18 AM
Did you follow the instructions here?

http://www.larrivee.com/obtainManufactureDate.php

When you can, some pics would be great!
:+1: be sure to put the word guitar in both the email subject box and the body to surpass their spam filters.

I'm assuming yours has no binding making it an 03 model. My guess would be from around the year 2000.

In June 2000 Larrivee press released this ( I mainly just included the 03 info as I think this is what you have):

JEAN LARRIVEE GUITARS has released a line of deluxe soprano ukuleles to the North American market. A spokesman commented, "With this launch, we're on a mission: to transform the ukulele from a `fun' recreational instrument to a serious contender in terms of overall sound and playability, suitable in a variety of musical settings. We plan to extend the line with concert and tenor models within the next 12 months."
The line features ten different soprano instruments in three sub-categories:

the 03 series (no binding), the 09 series (wood binding), and the 10 series (abalone binding). All Larrivee ukuleles feature all-solid wood construction, hand-fit dovetail neck joint, composite saddle, sterling silver border, ebony olverlay, and inlaid headstock logo.
The three models in the 03 series are: US-03-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, $1,249 U.S. suggested retail: US-03-MH all mahogany, abalone rosette, $849: and US-03-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $849.

All ten models have the following dimensions: 7-3/8" lower bout; 5-3/8" upper bout; 4-3/8" waist; 9-3/4" length; 2-1/4" maximum depth; and 14-1/8" scale.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Thanks for the response. It was sold as a "10" but it isn't as it does not have the abalone binding, so can you tell me from the photos if it a 3 or 9 model.

I didn't put the word "guitar" in the subject of my email, because it was about a ukulele, but I could try resending with that, as I have sent three emails now and everyone has said how responsive Larrivee usually is--mine must be landing in the spam folder.

It really is a very pretty ukulele, but I think I will have to take it to a local guitar shop to see about the intonation. I hope they are willing to work on it, there isn't much respect for ukuleles at the guitar shops I've been in around here.

Yes it appears you have yourself one fine looking 09 Uke!!!  :drool:

The rest of the press release I now see is more applicable to you:

The three models in the 09 series are: US-O9-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, koa binding, $1,399 U.S. suggested retail; US-09-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette, maple binding, $974; and US-09-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, maple binding, spruce top, $974.
The four models in the 10 series are: US-10-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, $1,574 U.S. suggested retail: US-10-KA-FES, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, Flying Eagle headstock, $1,699; US-10-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette. abalone binding, $1,074; and US-10-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $1,074.

Let us know how you fair with Larrivee

If no response in two business days call them at (805) 487-9980
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I did get a reply and learned my uke was made in Feb 2000.

Quote from: Dulcilo on April 30, 2014, 06:38:35 AM
I did get a reply and learned my uke was made in Feb 2000.
:thumb So a US-O9-KA  :?