Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Lovers  (Read 84616 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »

Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2018, 07:56:05 PM »

Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.

I added a few drops of water to my Trader Joe's French Roast Decaf and it worked well.  I will try this spoon option next time.  Thanks.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: July 20, 2021, 04:02:47 AM »

Resurrection of a useful thread:

Big Lots has a fake Bialetti Moka Pot for sale right now for 4$.

Works like the real thing.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: July 20, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »

Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2021, 12:19:34 AM »

Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2021, 12:22:48 AM »

My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex
Ha ha. Yea, when my wife asked for one I thought to myself, "Great, more junk to clutter up the counter-tops....". But, it's really something. I can't believe I spend the time to do it, but I really like the result.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2021, 03:23:31 AM »

How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2021, 06:10:03 AM »

How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?
That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don’t like espresso from coffee shops, they don’t make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don’t like espresso from coffee shops, they don’t make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: July 21, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.  
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »

God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.  
Ha ha. bigrin My best friend was like that. Unaffected by the caffeine. Every time we'd be up late partying, he'd fall asleep with a half-empty coffee or Monster energy in his hand.
I take a few sips in the morning, and a few sips in the afternoon. I only drink about half a cup in a day and it still wires me. My wife on the other hand, drinks the other 3 and a half cups from the pot and still feels tired.

Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: