Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Lovers  (Read 84863 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »

Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2018, 07:56:05 PM »

Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.

I added a few drops of water to my Trader Joe's French Roast Decaf and it worked well.  I will try this spoon option next time.  Thanks.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: July 20, 2021, 04:02:47 AM »

Resurrection of a useful thread:

Big Lots has a fake Bialetti Moka Pot for sale right now for 4$.

Works like the real thing.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: July 20, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »

Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2021, 12:19:34 AM »

Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2021, 12:22:48 AM »

My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex
Ha ha. Yea, when my wife asked for one I thought to myself, "Great, more junk to clutter up the counter-tops....". But, it's really something. I can't believe I spend the time to do it, but I really like the result.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2021, 03:23:31 AM »

How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2021, 06:10:03 AM »

How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?
That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don’t like espresso from coffee shops, they don’t make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don’t like espresso from coffee shops, they don’t make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: July 21, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.  
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »

God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.  
Ha ha. bigrin My best friend was like that. Unaffected by the caffeine. Every time we'd be up late partying, he'd fall asleep with a half-empty coffee or Monster energy in his hand.
I take a few sips in the morning, and a few sips in the afternoon. I only drink about half a cup in a day and it still wires me. My wife on the other hand, drinks the other 3 and a half cups from the pot and still feels tired.

Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:56 AM »

LOL!  That sounds like ADHD!  I need caffeine to calm my brain down and get it to focus on only a few things rather than the whole damn room.  Too much or late at night and it just puts me to sleep. 

Ha ha. bigrin My best friend was like that. Unaffected by the caffeine. Every time we'd be up late partying, he'd fall asleep with a half-empty coffee or Monster energy in his hand.
I take a few sips in the morning, and a few sips in the afternoon. I only drink about half a cup in a day and it still wires me. My wife on the other hand, drinks the other 3 and a half cups from the pot and still feels tired.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: August 04, 2021, 02:27:15 AM »

I grew up on Luzianne coffee and chicory, then Army coffee for 21 years. Now I buy good beans (very partial to Suliwese and other dark roast Indonesian beans) and use an Aeropress. 3 cups a day habit. Can't imagine what a pita id be without it!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: August 04, 2021, 06:31:37 AM »

The mention of chicory is a good one. I have enjoyed adding that, and dandelion root.
The most amazing thing I've added is chaga mushroom. I got some bulk chaga off ebay from someone in VA. Really adds a nice element, especially because I only take my coffee black so any flavors really come through.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: August 04, 2021, 02:34:51 PM »

I've grown to like coffee too much to put anything in it at all. Because I've been staying at my daughter's, I've been drinking a dark roast as that's what they put on in the morning. I prefer a boring old medium roast Arabica. More caffeine! 
Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: