Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on April 14, 2018, 06:36:59 PM
Saw another youtube where a guy just wets the handle of a teaspoon, gives the beans a stir for a couple of seconds and no static in the end.  That works well here, I'm happy to report.

I added a few drops of water to my Trader Joe's French Roast Decaf and it worked well.  I will try this spoon option next time.  Thanks.

Resurrection of a useful thread:

Big Lots has a fake Bialetti Moka Pot for sale right now for 4$.

Works like the real thing.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 20, 2021, 12:11:42 PM
Been using a Japanese style pour-over (mesh cone directly over pot) for the past couple years and can't go back to anything else. Allows a very robust flavor without the grit you get with a French press. The downside is, you have to manually pour water over it a few times. It's been worth it for the wife and I though.

My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 20, 2021, 07:19:34 PM
My son is also a pour over convert. He uses that thing that looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab. Even named that way. The Chemex
Ha ha. Yea, when my wife asked for one I thought to myself, "Great, more junk to clutter up the counter-tops....". But, it's really something. I can't believe I spend the time to do it, but I really like the result.

How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 20, 2021, 10:23:31 PM
How is it different from the old Melitta system? I used one for years but I guess I got tired of the rigmarole and occasionally knocking it over and making a huge mess. Good coffee though. I think I bought an electric Melitta maker and came to the conclusion that, kept clean, it pretty much did the same thing with less fuss.

https://shop.melitta.ca/products/10-cup-manual-pour-over?
That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don't like espresso from coffee shops, they don't make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am partial to espresso (made with medium dark, not espresso roasted beans). Two double shots in the morning😱.

Now everything else tastes weak.

But I think the real key to good coffee, regardless of how you prefer to brew it two fold.
1. Use high quality, recently roasted and fresh ground beans of a type and roast you like.
2. Dial in your process, whichever it is, and do it right.

I don't like espresso from coffee shops, they don't make it the way I like it. When I get coffee out, I either just deal with their regular drip, or if I am lingering, French Press because then I am really just making the coffee myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: B0WIE on July 21, 2021, 01:10:03 AM
That looks like the same thing, in function. But, the metal filter does something interesting in that it lets oils (which normally get stopped by a fabric filter) through. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the coffee and how acidic it is.

I never used to drink coffee because it would just bomb my stomach. But, I've found some types that don't bother me so I've been a daily drinker for the past 5 years or so.

God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.   :coffee

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 21, 2021, 08:07:41 AM
God, I used to make coffee for my dad when I was just a little kid. Percolator. Before I started drinking it, I'd then make toast with raspberry jam and dunk it and then pour the coffee out. When I was a younger man, I'd drink coffee morning to night. Black and strong. Some people say, "I can't  sleep when I drink coffee." I used to say, "I can't drink coffee when I sleep!" Ba dum pum!
Although now I rarely drink it past noon, I've been using the evil black liquid daily for almost 65 years. I think I might die without it.   :coffee
Ha ha. :bgrin: My best friend was like that. Unaffected by the caffeine. Every time we'd be up late partying, he'd fall asleep with a half-empty coffee or Monster energy in his hand.
I take a few sips in the morning, and a few sips in the afternoon. I only drink about half a cup in a day and it still wires me. My wife on the other hand, drinks the other 3 and a half cups from the pot and still feels tired.

LOL!  That sounds like ADHD!  I need caffeine to calm my brain down and get it to focus on only a few things rather than the whole damn room.  Too much or late at night and it just puts me to sleep. 

Quote from: B0WIE on July 21, 2021, 03:28:29 PM
Ha ha. :bgrin: My best friend was like that. Unaffected by the caffeine. Every time we'd be up late partying, he'd fall asleep with a half-empty coffee or Monster energy in his hand.
I take a few sips in the morning, and a few sips in the afternoon. I only drink about half a cup in a day and it still wires me. My wife on the other hand, drinks the other 3 and a half cups from the pot and still feels tired.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I grew up on Luzianne coffee and chicory, then Army coffee for 21 years. Now I buy good beans (very partial to Suliwese and other dark roast Indonesian beans) and use an Aeropress. 3 cups a day habit. Can't imagine what a pita id be without it!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

The mention of chicory is a good one. I have enjoyed adding that, and dandelion root.
The most amazing thing I've added is chaga mushroom. I got some bulk chaga off ebay from someone in VA. Really adds a nice element, especially because I only take my coffee black so any flavors really come through.

I've grown to like coffee too much to put anything in it at all. Because I've been staying at my daughter's, I've been drinking a dark roast as that's what they put on in the morning. I prefer a boring old medium roast Arabica. More caffeine!  :coffee

Quote from: B0WIE on August 04, 2021, 01:31:37 AM
The mention of chicory is a good one.
We have a local discount grocery store in the area that's fun to take a stroll through.  I was in there yesterday and they had the yellow cans of Cafe du Monde for $4 or so (great price!).  I grabbed one and will enjoy some of it this weekend.  To my taste, it's best with whole cream. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 21, 2022, 07:10:11 AM
We have a local discount grocery store in the area that's fun to take a stroll through.  I was in there yesterday and they had the yellow cans of Cafe du Monde for $4 or so (great price!).  I grabbed one and will enjoy some of it this weekend.  To my taste, it's best with whole cream. 
That's crazy. I have so spend $10 for those, whether I'm in Phoenix or New Orleans. Nice find!

Revisiting the coffee subject, I saw Costco was carrying "Blues Brothers" coffee. I'm not someone who buys gimmick products but I remembered an interview years ago where Dan Akroid said he was a coffee aficionado so I gave it a shot. Sooooo glad I did. Incredibly smooth and rich. The only coffee I can drink on an empty stomach without it bothering me whatsoever.

I've never heard of or seen Blues Brothers at Costco, but they do like to support local manufacturers.  Out here in San Francisco they feature a local roaster Francisco Bay.  Been buying it for 20 years or more, good dark French Roast at $14.99 for 3 lb bag.  I recently found the brown bag Kirkland French Roast for the first time.  Quite good, $10.99 for 2.5 lb.   I have a good friend who has been running his own coffee shop in Eldorado Hills.  He recently bought a roaster and now roasts his own beans for the coffee shop.  He stopped by my house in January after picking up 1000 lbs of beans from his South American supplier in SF. He gave us a few bags of his roast, really good stuff. 
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

On a whim the other day I picked up a (very overpriced) bag of Dunkin Donuts Colombian blend.  I have to say that it's mighty good!  I like the Cafe du Monde with whole cream, but this Colombian blend is great with a splash of whole milk.  YMMV.