Serial Number Entry form and Spreadsheet

Started by ST, January 03, 2010, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi AZLiberty,

I'd drop the leading 00s.

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 03, 2010, 07:09:33 PM
So, my OM-03RE has the serial number on the Neckblock as well as the soundhole label.  (I think my 12 sting does as well)  The serial number is not exactly identical, one is 6 digits long the other is 8.  only difference is the presence of two leading zeros.

Which SN should I enter?

Yeah, I entered the data and it looks like it failed to take.  (don't see the info)  I'll try again with no zeros.  

Tag = 04620
Neck = 004620

Took a few minutes but the info showed up, spreadsheet simply ignores leading zeroes

Mark

Hi Flatlander,

1518 that's me

I checked the email I got from Luke at Larrivee. He said, "It's probably '81 ", and he got that from Jean and Matt

He also told me they were running 2-4 months for a build at that time.

I'm going with your information (below). So for my C38 I set the build start date as November 1980 and end as January 1981.

That way you can put your information in to the form and the report will come out in proper sequence.

Sound okay to you?

Quote from: flatlander on January 03, 2010, 07:03:55 PM
Whoever has 1518   Can you tell me what your confidence level is on date? Mine is 1614. When I talked to them on phone way, way back they told me it is was built in Jan 81. A few years ago I sent e-mail and they replied it was started in Dec 80' . I got it like Feb 81 and I know it came straight from factory to dealer opening new shop. If you are pretty sure about yours I'll put 01/81 for mine as well. No biggie it'd just be good to have a linear thing going on.

Hi Mark

The data is there!

We're using googledocs and there is a lag of up to 5 minutes.

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 03, 2010, 07:24:29 PM
Yeah, I entered the data and it looks like it failed to take.  (don't see the info)  I'll try again with no zeros.   

Tag = 04620
Neck = 004620

Mark

Quote from: ST on January 03, 2010, 12:38:30 PM

PLEASE let me know if I left out any options and I will change the form. Okay?

The original parlors (first 500) have a funny model number, I think it's O-01, to differentiate them from the later parlors.  The first 500 had a 1 11/16" neck and they changed to 1 3/4" on the second and subsequent runs.

Not certain if the spreadsheet accounts for that or not. (I suppose you could select P for Parlor Size and enter O01 as the model?

Quote from: ST on January 03, 2010, 07:27:23 PM
Hi Flatlander,

1518 that's me

I checked the email I got from Luke at Larrivee. He said, "It's probably '81 ", and he got that from Jean and Matt

He also told me they were running 2-4 months for a build at that time.

I'm going with your information (below). So for my C38 I set the build start date as November 1980 and end as January 1981.

That way you can put your information in to the form and the report will come out in proper sequence.

Sound okay to you?

sounds good, I'll enter mine as such. :thumbsup
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Hi AZLiberty,

* Body Style
There is a space for "Other" where you can type in anything you want.

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 03, 2010, 07:33:36 PM
The original parlors (first 500) have a funny model number, I think it's O-01, to differentiate them from the later parlors.  The first 500 had a 1 11/16" neck and they changed to 1 3/4" on the second and subsequent runs.

Not certain if the spreadsheet accounts for that or not. (I suppose you could select P for Parlor Size and enter O01 as the model?

But if there are 500 of them out there somewhere I'll add "O" as a body style.

Thanks for the information.

Quote from: ST on January 03, 2010, 07:55:52 PM

But if there are 500 of them out there somewhere I'll add "O" as a body style.

I blame Matthew.   :humour:  The first 500 were a bit of a test run. Matt got on RMMGA and a whole bunch of us went out and bought them as soon as they hit the shelf.  Our Local Guitar Center Got three in and I made them bring out all of them for me to look at. (I bought the one with the stripiest fretboard).   Then they changed to the wider neck.  Rather torqued me off at the time. If I had known they were going to change I'd have waited, as the 1 11/16" neck is a bit cramped on the short scale parlor neck.

Anyway, I just e-mailed Yumi with the serial # for my parlor (and 12 string) and asked for the manufacture date as well as the model number.  At the time, they were just "Parlors".  It was only after the parlor was a hit that Larrivee retroactively assigned model numbers to them. So let's see what she says about the model #.

When I added my four guitars' specs, they showed up pretty quickly, but you need to check at the bottom of the chart, as that's where they land. Then, as it says above the form, they have to be sorted and put in by date later.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Yumi got back to me within a day on the build date for my 12 (already entered).  I think she's going to be a busy lady.
She wanted a little more info on the Parlor, so I took some pics.

Note the just over 1 11/16" neck

Hmmm...my daughter's parlor, SN 56270 was made in 2000, but the next two guitars from 2001 and 2002 have LOWER serial numbers?  I'm almost positive I have the date right because it was a gift for her 14th birthday in July of 2000; could these numbers be that far off, or does someone have the wrong date/s?

BTW, another question about her parlor for anyone in the know: it is spruce top/mahogany sides/back; has no body binding, but there is creme binding on the sides of the fingerboard, but none on the end of the fingerboard at the soundhole and the nut is right at 1.75".

Someone said the first batch of 500 had 1 11/16" nuts, so evidently this isn't one of those? Did the early ones have any binding on the fingerboard? I've seen both those with no binding and those with binding all around, but none like hers with no binding at the end of the fretboard...

...thanks for any clarification!

EDITED TO ADD: Looking more closely, I also see two older instruments (a mandolin and an LS guitar) with higher SN's than my RS-4 which was just completed around Dec. 15...I know this to be the case because I talked with Matthew Larrivee on the phone in mid-November and he told me he had three lefty rootbeer RS-4's near completion, so if I wanted one to put in my order, which I did. Just goes to show that serial numbers are not always in sequential order by date.

I thought they assigned serial number early in process, so if they sat around a while before being completed, that could happen.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 04, 2010, 11:09:14 PM

Someone said the first batch of 500 had 1 11/16" nuts, so evidently this isn't one of those? Did the early ones have any binding on the fingerboard? I've seen both those with no binding and those with binding all around, but none like hers with no binding at the end of the fretboard...

That was me. Look in my pic above, you can clearly see the neck has black plastic binding.  The neck at the soundhole is unbound.

ST - just curious: once you've entered your info, is there any way to edit it?  I only ask because I really didn't look carefully at my labels to see if there was anything interesting there that should be included.

Also, here's another question - while it might be helpful to list the serial numbers of other Larrivee's you've owned, but sold - would it be right to do this, since they now belong to someone else?  It would help add information to the databank, but it's probably questionable to do so...

This is the email I received from Larrivee.

Your guitar was started in production 09/2002. By started in production,
I mean the sides were joined at the blocks, a serial number assigned to
the instrument, and the serial number registered in our books.

Brian Trepanier
Customer Service Representative

This is what I was told by Don at Wildwood Music where I purchased the guitar on 4/13/2007.  He said they had the guitar in stock for less than 6 months, he also said that Jean took on special projects  and worked at them when he had the time. Whether Jean himself built my guitar or not, it is outstanding and I don't really care.
About this same time there were other guitars that were showing up on the market as new with older serial #s.  My guess would be that because they give them the serial # when the sides were joined at the block there could be any number of them in different stages of build sitting on racks at the factory for many different reasons or problems (read damaged).  At some point during a lull in production or whatever they may have taken it upon themselves to finish off these unfinished guitars and get them to market.  I have worked in many factories and this is not uncommon, it is much easier to put a problem to the side during heavy production and forget about it until orders start lacking.
Take this for what it is worth but I believe it is much more likely that these older serial numbers show up because they have been sitting at the factory not NOS at a music store. YMMV
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Hi Mikeymac,

Great questions.

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 05, 2010, 11:10:40 AM
ST - just curious: once you've entered your info, is there any way to edit it?  I only ask because I really didn't look carefully at my labels to see if there was anything interesting there that should be included.

Also, here's another question - while it might be helpful to list the serial numbers of other Larrivee's you've owned, but sold - would it be right to do this, since they now belong to someone else?  It would help add information to the databank, but it's probably questionable to do so...

Edits

I can't think of a good way to make it possible to make things editable for the general population without leaving the data open to catastrophic vandalism. I can do edits in the background. So if you want to add something, please post the information here.

Serial Number: _________________________

Changes or additions: ____________________

I don't mind doing this every now and then.

Who enters the data? Ownership

" It would help add information to the databank," - agreed and

I don't see any harm in someone entering data about guitars they used to own.  The way the data is presented does not suggest that the person submitting it owns the guitar; just that s/he knows something about it.

What do you think?

Hi Roger,

This is great information.

I am going to post this on the Larrivée Serial Numbers page to help folks understand what the dates mean.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 05, 2010, 11:25:55 AM
This is the email I received from Larrivee.

Your guitar was started in production 09/2002. By started in production,
I mean the sides were joined at the blocks, a serial number assigned to
the instrument, and the serial number registered in our books.

Brian Trepanier
Customer Service Representative

This is what I was told by Don at Wildwood Music where I purchased the guitar on 4/13/2007.  He said they had the guitar in stock for less than 6 months, he also said that Jean took on special projects  and worked at them when he had the time. Whether Jean himself built my guitar or not, it is outstanding and I don't really care.
About this same time there were other guitars that were showing up on the market as new with older serial #s.  My guess would be that because they give them the serial # when the sides were joined at the block there could be any number of them in different stages of build sitting on racks at the factory for many different reasons or problems (read damaged).  At some point during a lull in production or whatever they may have taken it upon themselves to finish off these unfinished guitars and get them to market.  I have worked in many factories and this is not uncommon, it is much easier to put a problem to the side during heavy production and forget about it until orders start lacking.
Take this for what it is worth but I believe it is much more likely that these older serial numbers show up because they have been sitting at the factory not NOS at a music store. YMMV

edit: Larrivée Serial Numbers - Manufacturing Date - Start

Hi Everyone,

I have made the manufacturing start date (the in production date) a REQUIRED field. Why?

In similar lists of serial numbers that I have seen, the numbers are presented by date.  If someone enters the information and omits the date, then that entry floats to the bottom of the list where it is unlikely to be noticed by anyone reading the list.

Later,  if someone wants to add that date information, they have to write to me and I have to edit things in the background.  

Rather than go through all of that, it seems to make more sense to me to simply make the date a required field at the outset.

How's that?

I added mine as N/A. With a bit of a description.