F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteMine was replaced there too!!

Good to know that your guitar made the trip okay even with the unreadable bar code. I'll just try to sit tight until the 23rd target delivery date and see if it shows. Also good to hear that there are some very positive reviews coming in. It doesn't make the wait any easier, but it is reassuring to know that the wait will be worth it.
Larrivee OM-03, lefty
Larrivee Forum IV #24, lefty (love it)

Quote from: archilady on April 22, 2010, 12:17:24 AM
Good to know that your guitar made the trip okay even with the unreadable bar code. I'll just try to sit tight until the 23rd target delivery date and see if it shows. Also good to hear that there are some very positive reviews coming in. It doesn't make the wait any easier, but it is reassuring to know that the wait will be worth it.

Well we expect to have a full report by Saturday !  I must say that, even though I'm not expecting delivery of an FIV,
I know how you all feel right now.  Last year's LS-03 forum guitar was, by any measure, a roaring success.  The guitar known now as the FIII has become a go-to favorite by many who bought one; myself included.     I suspect that this year's FIV will be a lot like my LS-03 in many ways.   I got the hogtop option on the FIII;  also the herringbone rosette and 12 fret construction are a match for my own FIII.  similar in size they should sound like close cousins at the very least.  If you give me a heads-up when you are passing through you can compare the III and the FIV side by side.   

archilady, I see that you've been playing an OM-03.   I think you'll see a big difference in tone between that and your new 00-03mt.    I find that I can appreciate the tone of my OM-03R even more because of the contrast between it and the all hog LS-03MT.   That is a good pair of guitars to have.   The 12 fret body won't give you an pause I wouldn't think.    You will enjoy fingerpicking this FIV

I am almost as thrilled for you lucky FIVers as I was last year upon receiving one of the best guitars I've ever played.
I won't insult the guitar by saying "for the money".   You could spend a lot more and not get as fine a guitar.

I'm enjoying reading about the anticipation, then the arrival, and the first tentative impressions when the guitar is still something new and unexplored except by you for the first time.   

Ahhh   it's springtime, baseball is underway, music is in the air and a new forum guitar is born.     Someone should be passing out cigars.   

Can't wait to hear from all the lucky FiV owners.

I think the Grover open-backs look even better on these than on my FIII.   That's a good choice if you like open-back style.

It's going to be a long day at work...

My wife just called me.  Canada Post dropped off FIV #5 at home a few minutes ago!      :smile:   

Gordon
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: Denis on April 21, 2010, 10:31:29 AM
UGH!!!!  Mine says it's being processed at the Postal Centre in Mississauga...since 6am yesterday????

maybe someone there plays guitar?   
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on April 22, 2010, 07:06:37 AM
maybe someone there plays guitar?  

I don't know Randy but when I got it yesterday, it didn't look like it had been opened....

Seriously, this is a fingerpicking dream guitar for me.  I thought I was happy with the FIII but these two together...it's going to be tough choosing which to play!!!

The FIII finally going to go in for a set up...it's about time after all, it's been over a year!  I'll get a bone nut and saddle made up and I'm sure by now it will need a little fret leveling.

I got about 30 min of playing time on the FIV last night.  Tried playing a lot of my original material...DADGAD, open D, open Gm, drop D...it works no matter what tuning you use.  All mahogany on a 12 fret full scale...a 00?!  Just the perfect marriage of specs for me.  I think I've been missing this size since selling the OO-50.  Like others have said, it will open up but right now, it sounds so good, like Jeff said, if it gets better well that's awesome!

Quote from: Denis on April 22, 2010, 07:28:59 AM
I don't know Randy but when I got it yesterday, it didn't look like it had been opened....

Seriously, this is a finger[-icking dream guitar for me.  I thought I was happy with the FIII but these two together...it's going to be tough choosing which to play!!!

The FIII finally going to go in for a set up...it's about after all, it's been over a year!  I'll get a bone nut and saddle made up and I'm sure y now it will need a little fret leveling.

I got about 30 min of playing time on the FIV last night.  Tried playing a lot of my original material...DADGAD, open D, open Gm, drop D...it works no matter what tuning you use.  All mahogany on a 12 fret full scale...a 00?!  Just the perfect marriage of specs for me.  I think I've been missing this size since selling the OO-50.  Like others have said, it will open up but right now, it sounds so good, like Jeff said, if it gets better well that's awesome!
Ditto to all you said Denis.
     Having owned a 00 myself before I also missed having one around and this all hog 00 is really what I wanted when I had my D-03MT for that short time last year and realized the sweetness, balance and warmth that comes from all Mahogany Larrivees.
     What I found to my surprise though was the resonance and projection of this little 00 MT is not what I expected. I mean that I firured it would be subdued by the Larrivee bracing. But it isn't. I even thought that they may have made the braces a little different for this one. I don't know, but I do know they got it right again.
      The F-III is an excellent guitar and after a year I am still impressed with mine and so happy that JCL had that big pile of Italian Spruce to make them ring out so clearly. I can see them becoming a very sought after guitar as time goes by.

Now we will see if the F-IV can measure up to it's "cousin" as TtP calls his F-III MT. I am very happy with mine. And will add that my tuners seem to work just fine, though I may put the Grover open backs on because I like the look on this headstock. (another TtP reference) I already have a set anyway.
        I will have a bone saddle, pins and a bone nut that I will move the string spacing as close to the edge as I can, to see if I can get that 1 13/16 neck feel. Also I'm thinking of ramp slots to widen the spacing at the saddle. (any thoughts Jim? Unclrob?)
        The wait has been well worth it. And to those still waiting, just know it will be a guitar that will meet your expectations and then some. Of course "set up" needs to be tweaked to match each individual, but the guitar itself is very worthy of the Larrivee headstock logo and the Forum should be very happy that we have another special guitar to add to the growing list of fine Larrivee Forum Guitars. :thumbsup

Congratulations Guys !  :gotpics:  :gotpics:  :gotpics:  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: bobsnob on April 22, 2010, 07:01:48 AM
It's going to be a long day at work...

My wife just called me.  Canada Post dropped off FIV #5 at home a few minutes ago!      :smile:  

But she took a picture for me

Gordon

[attachment deleted by admin]
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 21, 2010, 02:10:24 PM
Those larger bushings do look nice - where did you get those, Jim? I've not seen them, that I can remember.

(I know, I said "no new holes" in this guitar, but I've got a couple other sets of these on other guitars that could use the larger bushings.)

Are these what I'm looking for?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/Tuner_Bushings/10_5mm_Round_Conversion_Bushings.html

The bushings needed for the larger tuner holes on the F IV guitars are #TK 0901-001  Adaptor Bushings Nickel 13/32" od 1/4" id.  I got them from Allparts. Not sure about the ones at StewMac. StewMac is a great place but I honestly do not get much there as they only sell at retail price.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: bobsnob on April 22, 2010, 08:07:30 AM
But she took a picture for me

Gordon

I'm sure that looking at that picture will make the day go by so much faster...don't you think Gordon???   :whistling:

Quote from: dependan on April 22, 2010, 07:57:04 AM
   Ditto to all you said Denis.
    Having owned a 00 myself before I also missed having one around and this all hog 00 is really what I wanted when I had my D-03MT for that short time last year and realized the sweetness, balance and warmth that comes from all Mahogany Larrivees.
    What I found to my surprise though was the resonance and projection of this little 00 MT is not what I expected. I mean that I firured it would be subdued by the Larrivee bracing. But it isn't. I even thought that they may have made the braces a little different for this one. I don't know, but I do know they got it right again.

Danny, I really think it's the combination of the full scale, 12 fret and all mahogany.  It' going to be a good match for the FIII.  

Yeah, it's warm and round and woody...and it smells good too!

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on April 21, 2010, 01:21:51 PM

VERY Nice!  I just got off the phone with Jim.  He will put the Grovers on #27. 

Alas, he has to order more sets, so it will take another week to get the guitar. 

I guess the F-III will have to do for now.   :humour:
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on April 22, 2010, 08:22:54 AM
  The bushings needed for the larger tuner holes on the F IV guitars are #TK 0901-001  Adaptor Bushings Nickel 13/32" od 1/4" id.  I got them from Allparts. Not sure about the ones at StewMac. StewMac is a great place but I honestly do not get much there as they only sell at retail price.
Jim Holler

Thanks for taking the time to give that info, Jim - I know how busy you are!!!

And thanks again for all you did to get these wonderful guitars out to us; I know you've gone "beyond the call of duty" on these, in more ways than one!

Also have to say - the tops on these look consistently beautiful from the pics here ... they almost look like koa, they have such nice figure to them - thank you, Larrivee!

P.S. My brother, Larry, has been calling you about a Larrivee purchase over the past couple days; I told him you're the man. I think he may be purchasing a new L-03 from you soon...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 22, 2010, 10:47:35 AM
And thanks again for all you did to get these wonderful guitars out to us; I know you've gone "beyond the call of duty" on these, in more ways than one!

SERIOUSLY!!!!  Jim, as a new owner of one of these beautiful guitars, I want to thank you, Kathy, Bill, John Jr and everyone over at Larrivee.  These aretruly stunning guitars!

And the race is on to see who will post the first youtube video.   :whistling:
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Congrats to all who have received theirs, #17's on the way. Probably shouldn't have been so laid back about sending the check, but I've been so heavily wrapped up in another project that I didn't want to get caught up in the hour to hour heavy breathing this guitar has initiated. Sillly me, now I refresh the FexEx site hourly to see where it goes next from Ohio.

Great to read the reports so far, hope to hear more and many thanks to the wife who took the pic! (Dunno if I could love a wife so much as to let her open the box for me  :humour:

My poor Taylor 312 is trembling as I type this knowing it's on the chopping block when the new kid in town arrives.

:coffee :donut2 :donut to all and Happy Trails!

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: Queequeg on April 22, 2010, 12:40:11 PM
YIPPIE!

Can't wait to hear your review. And of course a pic or two in due time.

We win.

Andrew's Forum IV

The Assistant
Blessings,
Bill Ward
www.billwardmusic.com

Quote from: LvGod on April 22, 2010, 01:14:38 PM
We win.

Andrew's Forum IV

The Assistant
No two people should have so much fun at work!
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com