Are you a thread ender?

Started by obe-wan, September 24, 2009, 01:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on May 10, 2011, 06:53:10 PM
  Just did the first hot paraffin bath :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:  Great!!!! Now for the cold dip :ohmy:

Where did you get your paraffin bath and is it big enough to get a foot into it?  Heck come to think of it, my mouth isn't that big and I seem to put my foot in it often.   :roll
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 11, 2011, 09:52:44 AM
Where did you get your paraffin bath and is it big enough to get a foot into it?  Heck come to think of it, my mouth isn't that big and I seem to put my foot in it often.   :roll
Actually I was at a grocery store yesterday and they had the ParaSpa paraffin, but no ParaSpa's. So I bought the paraffin and used a slow cooker while monitoring the temperature. It works fine.
   But I have lots of commercial cooking equipment parts left over from years ago when I specialized in restaurant equipment repair. So I have commercial thermostats that would cost twice what a spa is alone. Thus I'll wire in a T-stat and make my own larger bath later. I'll probably use a large stainless steel pan style.
   For now a thermometer and this slow cooker work fine for my hand. I also want one large enough for feet and deep enough for ankles.

The first time I used the one my wife bought me I was amazed at how great my joints{hand,just in case someone wanted to get funny :whistling:} felt.IShe got mine at KMart.Also don't go over 12 min. in the wax because it can cause damage thats why I say just 10 min..
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 11, 2011, 10:34:49 AM
The first time I used the one my wife bought me I was amazed at how great my joints{hand,just in case someone wanted to get funny :whistling:} felt.IShe got mine at KMart.Also don't go over 12 min. in the wax because it can cause damage thats why I say just 10 min..
I am monitoring the temperature and time closely. These slow cookers can get really hot and would "cook" your skin in a few seconds if you were not very careful. I'll either buy an inexpensive small one soon or get a thermostat set up on this in a few days.

Are you using the method shown here  http://www.livestrong.com/article/256674-how-to-use-a-paraffin-wax-machine/
I'm only asking as it sounds like you're talking about dipping the hand and leaving it in the bath for 10 min.

I had physical therapy on my hand once for a strain and they used the method in the link.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: unclrob on May 10, 2011, 10:16:55 PM
That was a long time back,I think I was still working selling guitars.

No longer the jumbo king now I'm the LS king both from the 90's one rosewood and one maple..

Ok your memory is good.... :thumbsup

Do you remember Corn Nuts  ?

Or How I found my L03-Blackwood???    (hint,   I see kdonavan posted here recently)

30 and count'n
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 11, 2011, 02:48:06 PM
Are you using the method shown here  http://www.livestrong.com/article/256674-how-to-use-a-paraffin-wax-machine/
I'm only asking as it sounds like you're talking about dipping the hand and leaving it in the bath for 10 min.

I had physical therapy on my hand once for a strain and they used the method in the link.
I am using the method in the link you provided mostly, though I also just put my hand in and left it there this morning. But when I immersed my hand the temp was only 125 and I had the heat off. It worked out well because when I pulled my hand out all the wax stayed put.

But it is convenient to dip many times and put the liner over my hand. Also I make the wax hotter and by dipping an letting it cool then dip again I get a good deep heat penetration into the injured area. I also printed out GAMES instructions and follow them using the hot wax.

I played my guitar(s) more last night after three treatments, than I have in a couple of weeks. I also worked until past 11 tonite and am surprised that I can even type right now.

Thanks to all who suggested and encouraged this therapy. I will gain more knowledge and experience with this and may have something to help others as well.

"Anything but surgery" That's me motto :wink:

Good deal! I'd get really depressed if I couldn't play guitar long.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: Daysailer on May 11, 2011, 06:51:08 PM
Ok your memory is good.... :thumbsup

Do you remember Corn Nuts  ?

Or How I found my L03-Blackwood???    (hint,   I see kdonavan posted here recently)

30 and count'n

Yep I remember it all.It seems the only thing I'm not losing with age is my memory :laughin:.
Before getting the wax machine I use to soak my hands in hot water.I started doing that back in the 70's when the band I was in played anywhere from 6 to 8 45 min sets a night 6 nights a week plus a couple hours of rehearshal's.My hands would be useless lumps on the ends of my arms when I would get up in the morning.Now 10 min each hand every morning and if I'm playing that night again in the after noon.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

This thread has really turned into our "Larrivee chat room".          Hasn't Scott served his 30 day sentence yet?

I think he will be surprised to learn that my OM-21 is back home.

Quote from: flatlander on May 12, 2011, 01:55:35 AM
Good deal! I'd get really depressed if I couldn't play guitar long.
It does depress me. I have my F-IV next to me a Gibson on the wall in front of me, my OM-21 on the left wall in sight and the GC4 right behind me on another wall.
   Plus another ten ready to play in cases , F-III, 12r's, old nice Yamahas, a Lakewood (that seems to be mine by squatters rights), a new 000 12 fret SH Martin copy, and some I'm sure I can't remember.

I think of putting some on craigslist, but as I think of each one I have reasons to keep them. Eventually some will have to go.

Been missing my LSV-11 and would like to acquire another so I may offer a trade deal soon. 2 for one or something like that.

On playing, my wife was next to me as I was playing and there was a feeling there of "warmth" and she was just enjoying hearing me play again. Of course many of the songs I play are with her in heart and mind.

Quote from: dependan on May 12, 2011, 11:14:26 AM
  This thread has really turned into our "Larrivee chat room".          Hasn't Scott served his 30 day sentence yet?

I think he will be surprised to learn that my OM-21 is back home.

Hey Danny thats great news mate. Welcome back to the fold! I cant imagine being without my 21 now. Its very "me".  :thumbsup

Yep, the 30 days is well and truly up. I have been online a bit lately, but Ive been floating around other (non guitar) forums. Its been a bit of a break from something I, like many others here Im sure, am obsessed with. I havent actually been playing all that much either, but Im feeling fresh and keen about the instrument again, which was my goal. I was kinda gettin stale.

Its great to still see the thread ender thread still going strong. Viva la Thread!

Danny, timber and steel is my passion too,  I am at my happiest when surrounded by them.

Enjoy my friend!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Hey Scott...recently returned from a trip to Oz, NZ and Tasmania.  I could easily retire to Tasmania....also fell in love with Albany, Australia.  I could wile away my golden years there pickin' and fishin'

Came home with an All Black jersey for a keepsake.  Gotta admit....I watched a lot of cricket and I still have no idea whatsoever how it's played.  At any rate, you've got a beautiful country there.  We were there during your recent elections....After watching her for a month, I have to say I am not a big Gillard fan....carbon pricing and all.

Quote from: Walkerman on May 13, 2011, 08:17:47 AM
Hey Scott...recently returned from a trip to Oz, NZ and Tasmania.  I could easily retire to Tasmania....also fell in love with Albany, Australia.  I could wile away my golden years there pickin' and fishin'

Came home with an All Black jersey for a keepsake.  Gotta admit....I watched a lot of cricket and I still have no idea whatsoever how it's played.  At any rate, you've got a beautiful country there.  We were there during your recent elections....After watching her for a month, I have to say I am not a big Gillard fan....carbon pricing and all.

Can I discuss politics if they arent from the Forums homeland? Probably not. Im not a Gillard fan either... the Carbon tax is a crock of.....dont worry she wont be here long...

As for the cricket....yeah its one of those games you've really gotta have a passion for (and theres plenty who do, most of the population actually) or watching it'll make you lose the will to live! Boring!

Glad you enjoyed your time Down Under mate.  :cheers

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Good to hear from you Scott.

Obsession :?   What obsession :?           

Total Time Spent Online:    70 days, 20 hours and 22 minutes. 
                                    Total Posts:    7550 posts (6+ per day since becoming a member)
                                    Total Topics Started:    151 topics

I could use a 30 day break from everything, like a trip to the outback or NZ. We keep saying we'll do it one day.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 11, 2011, 02:48:06 PM
Are you using the method shown here  http://www.livestrong.com/article/256674-how-to-use-a-paraffin-wax-machine/

Roger, I have been using a better technique for me that you may like.

I put on a Nitrile Disposable Glove, dip my hand to build the layers of wax, then slip a Latex  Disposable glove on top of that. It Is working quite well for me. In fact I am typing this with one hand covered this way.
   It seems unless I'm reading I just have to stay busy with my hands. Too many years working with them I guess. I don't feel so good about myself if I'm not "doing" something.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 11, 2011, 09:52:44 AM
Where did you get your paraffin bath and is it big enough to get a foot into it?  Heck come to think of it, my mouth isn't that big and I seem to put my foot in it often.   :roll
It's been 2 weeks since I cracked my ribs. The wax thing sounds soothing. Can I get a tank big enough to soak my body?   :arrow  :roll
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: dependan on May 13, 2011, 09:36:44 AM
        I could use a 30 day break from everything, like a trip to the outback or NZ. We keep saying we'll do it one day.

I may be bias, but its a great end of the world. You're all welcome anytime. Not all at once though....  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on May 17, 2011, 06:33:35 AM
I may be bias, but its a great end of the world. You're all welcome anytime. Not all at once though....  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
We have many folks that have even stayed in our home here that tell us to come down as well. At one point we almost worked it out. But things change, maybe someday.
    But when/if we do you will be on the list of folks I must see.

I love my Larrivee guitars and I love this Forum. I even drink my morning coffee at home from my Forum mug!.  But now I am worried I can't fit in. Turns out Forum members are supposed to hate headplates, hate torty pickguards, love guns, and adore ice hockey>   Now I am a tolerant man, and can accept most of this in others... But Hockey?  :crying: :crying: :crying:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden