Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum 111 guitar  (Read 2005 times)
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 12:49:08 AM »

Roger, I've seen the thread before, but then again I want to mention that you did an exceptional job!!

it looks fantastic!!

Jeffrey

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »

Roger
Here's a silly but serious question.   Have you used that method on spruce / rosewood guitars as well ?  And does it require any different approach for...say, an OM-03R as opposed to the all mahogany of your OM-03MT ?  I'm thinking of doing my OM-03R first before I go to work on the forum III.   Does it matter that It's already getting a little shiny where my arm rubs on the top all the time ?

Tuffythepug
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

Tuffy,
I shouldnt think so.  Ask "tadol" to maybe post a pic of his (formerly my) LV03R; I did the "Orsino" method on that and the back was really nice 
I do have to say though, Mr LV19's method is producing the best finish shine I have seen on any hand-done polishes--my OM03 all Sapele isnt nearly that glossy, and I am considering stripping and redoing after seeing his pics!  And I have been playing mine regularly and am so enamored of it right now.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

Roger
Here's a silly but serious question.   Have you used that method on spruce / rosewood guitars as well ?  And does it require any different approach for...say, an OM-03R as opposed to the all mahogany of your OM-03MT ?  I'm thinking of doing my OM-03R first before I go to work on the forum III.   Does it matter that It's already getting a little shiny where my arm rubs on the top all the time ? No
Tuffythepug

I have only done the one but I don't see that there would be much difference. That being said I know the Rosewood is more porous and it sucks up the finish so you may not get the same result on the back. As far as the thickness of the satin  finish I don't think you have to worry about breaking through it. The key to getting the highest gloss is like most finish work, the more effort you put into sanding to make it smooth the glossier the result.

If you want to make the job a little easier you can use a orbital sander with a buffing pad, I have a Ridged R2600 5" that worked really well. The hook and loop fastening makes pad changes simple.

If you do decide to do it and run into any questions feel free to PM me and I'll give you any help that I can.

I spent many many years in the automotive paint industry and have done lots of wood working projects so this came pretty natural to me, but I can understand others apprehension at attempting this on a guitar they spent so much money on. I had a little of that feeling myself before I started.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »

I took a couple pic's of the OM-03 sitting next to the P-05, as you can see the OM darkened quite nice and you can no longer see the tan line from the pick guard.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »

For a moment I thought it was a OM-05
BTW, nice hogs!!
 nice guitar s

Jeffrey

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: