Parlor string spacing question

Started by erikro, January 29, 2008, 05:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

Thinking about buying one of these.  I used to have one and didnt like the neck too much.  I thought it was too flat.  But I really want a parlor and for the money I dont think I can do better than a Larrivee.  I love this body size.  I am going to give the neck a second try and hope I learn to love it.  I was hoping someone could give me the string width at the 12th fret and bridge.  I am hoping it is 2-1/4 but I think it is narrower. 

Thanks,
Erik

Approximately 1 7/8" at twelfth fret   2 3/16" at saddle.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thanks for the reply.  That 1-7/8" mesurement isnt what I was hoping to hear.  It seems very narrow.  I thought the neck was the same as the full size guitars.  There is no way that they are 1-7/8".  Are you sure about that measurement?

Thanks,
Erik

QuoteThat 1-7/8" mesurement isnt what I was hoping to hear.  It seems very narrow.  I thought the neck was the same as the full size guitars.  There is no way that they are 1-7/8".  Are you sure about that measurement?

erikro I've measured my L-03 and Parlor and they are identical in string spacing at 12th fret 1-13/16" and at bridge 2-3/16" ... I guess it is just some kinda optical illusion that makes it seem the parlor has less space...  :?

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Here is my responce to the question when Eric emailed me.
The width at the 12th fret is 1-7/8"   and at the saddle is 2- 3/16"
The spacing is actually the same as the Larrivee L at the 12th fret. The longer scale of the L continues the "widening" of the spacing to 2-1/4" at the bridge. If you measure the L at 24" ( the scale length of the P) from the nut it is 2-3/16". The net effect is that the feel of the spacing is the same. If the Parlor had a 2-1/4 bridge spacing the 12th fret would be wider than the L.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on January 30, 2008, 10:04:17 AM
Here is my responce to the question when Eric emailed me.
The width at the 12th fret is 1-7/8"   and at the saddle is 2- 3/16"
The spacing is actually the same as the Larrivee L at the 12th fret. The longer scale of the L continues the "widening" of the spacing to 2-1/4" at the bridge. If you measure the L at 24" ( the scale length of the P) from the nut it is 2-3/16". The net effect is that the feel of the spacing is the same. If the Parlor had a 2-1/4 bridge spacing the 12th fret would be wider than the L.
Jim Holler

I just measured my OM-03 (same scale length as the L). It was 2 3/16 right at the middle of the low E string at the bridge, definitely not 2 1/4.

I measured my OM and it is exactly 2 1/4" from outside edge to outside edge at the saddle. The Parlor is 2 3/16" from outside edge to outside edge at the saddle.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"