books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rereading Game of Thrones and another fantasy series called The Malazan Book of the Fallen.  I'm reading The Kohler Method of Dog Training, I'm reading 2 of Eliot Colemans intensive organic gardening books, and I'm reading a homesteading book.  They all pique my interests at different times.
The dude abides

Quote from: funkstarfish on April 09, 2012, 07:31:02 PM
I'm reading The Kohler Method of Dog Training

You may also enjoy: Schutzhund Obedience: Training In Drive by Shiela Booth.

I also have many waiting to be read, but we have been on one house project after another to prepare it for the market. I think we have it basically ready.  But now I need to deal with the storage building and garage/shop. :blush:
  I'm looking forward to reading and playing :guitar time again.

Quote from: GA-ME on April 09, 2012, 07:57:46 PM
You may also enjoy: Schutzhund Obedience: Training In Drive by Shiela Booth.

thanks, ill have a look, have some mutts that may have wolf in them so i want to really have them well trained so they can enjoy and not be anxious in life.
The dude abides

Quote from: funkstarfish on April 09, 2012, 09:20:31 PM
thanks, ill have a look, have some mutts that may have wolf in them so i want to really have them well trained so they can enjoy and not be anxious in life.
We have a coydog it's more than likely that your dogs have coyote on them.

Quote from: the creature on April 04, 2012, 08:53:20 AM
CJ: Have you tried L'Amour's poetry?  It's among my favorites.

Sorry, I just saw this. I didn't know he had published any poetry. Now you have me wondering what could possibly rhyme with "smokeless fire" ...  :winkin:

Quote from: CJ on April 09, 2012, 10:14:09 PM

Sorry, I just saw this. I didn't know he had published any poetry. Now you have me wondering what could possibly rhyme with "smokeless fire" ...  :winkin:
The poetry was his first published work, long before the novels. His memoirs are great too. A very gifted man.

Currently rereading Notes From The Tilt-a-Whirl by ND Wilson.  He takes on biggies like the problem of evil and makes fun of philosophers who took themselves too seriously. I can see myself reading this book twenty or thirty times throughout life.

I recently finished his excellent work of fiction, The Dragon's Tooth. Think I'll reread his Leepike Ridge again soon.

Quote from: the creature on April 10, 2012, 02:04:25 PM
Currently rereading Notes From The Tilt-a-Whirl by ND Wilson.  He takes on biggies like the problem of evil and makes fun of philosophers who took themselves too seriously. I can see myself reading this book twenty or thirty times throughout life.

I recently finished his excellent work of fiction, The Dragon's Tooth. Think I'll reread his Leepike Ridge again soon.
Just re-recommended Notes From The Tilt-a-Whirl to my brother in law, who feeds me good books to read.

Just downloaded 'Middlemarch' by George Eliot into my Nook.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Was browsing the free stuff on my nook just a couple days ago and started reading the original Dracula.  Forgot just how good that was!
Also been trying to make may way thru the most recent Game of Thrones book - Dance with Dragons.  Having a hard time picking up though...

Quote from: Abharwa on April 12, 2012, 09:19:05 AM
Was browsing the free stuff on my nook just a couple days ago and started reading the original Dracula.  Forgot just how good that was!
Also been trying to make may way thru the most recent Game of Thrones book - Dance with Dragons.  Having a hard time picking up though...

I'd forgotten about Bram's "Dracula".  I read it when I was  a teenager or maybe a little before.  My Dad always said he read it in the daylight because it was safer. :whistling:
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: rockstar_not on April 11, 2012, 12:21:17 AM
Just re-recommended Notes From The Tilt-a-Whirl to my brother in law, who feeds me good books to read.
I've tried to turn a few folks on to Wilson's writing.  It's good stuff. 

Currently reading Delta Blues by Ted Gioia. The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters.  :thumb
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Wow, Middlemarch is LONG!  I don't know if I can power through that or not.  Might switch over to some light Chesterton or Belloc for my Victorian/Edwardian (at least I think those are the right eras) track of reading.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

rockstar,

Middlemarch is, indeed, long and maybe should be retitled "Middleo'nextmarch" to reflect the date by which you may finish it! 

Just started:

Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
and
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

Both have been on the list a while.

I'm a few chapters into 'The Man Who Was Thursday' by Chesterton as well as 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer'.

Also, some interesting news, our friend from church who is shopping her novel which I reported on here a few months back just got picked up by her 'dream agent'.  As I reported before, I will not be surprised at all to see this get picked up by a major publisher.  It's a great read.

Caleb, I know you're reading this - just a heads up for you to be on the lookout.  I will certainly post back here and do a re-read of this because the ending has changed a bit from the version I proofed and read months ago.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on May 10, 2012, 11:48:29 PM
I'm a few chapters into 'The Man Who Was Thursday' by Chesterton as well as 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer'.

Also, some interesting news, our friend from church who is shopping her novel which I reported on here a few months back just got picked up by her 'dream agent'.  As I reported before, I will not be surprised at all to see this get picked up by a major publisher.  It's a great read.

Caleb, I know you're reading this - just a heads up for you to be on the lookout.  I will certainly post back here and do a re-read of this because the ending has changed a bit from the version I proofed and read months ago.
Great news.  I wish her only the best.  Such a great book she's written! 

I just started JUBAL SACKETT by Louis L'Amour

Having a hard time with Tolstoy's ANNA. Just cannot seem to get into it. 

creature,

I just couldn't get into that book either.  I didn't care.  I picked it up because I heard it was "more accessible" (read, "easier") than War and Peace.  But I completely failed to care about plot or characters.

Just finished something old;   The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler and now I've started something new;   "My Cross To Bear" the Gregg Allman autobiography