books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just finished "Worst Hard Time", about the Dirty Thirties, or the Dust Bowl.  Great history read.

Also read a short book about Charles Goodnight, a legendary Texas Panhandle cattleman who was the basis for Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I just finished "One Second After" by William Forstchen and I have not read anything that comes close. Both frightening and thought provoking.

Just started "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.  I think it was written around 1960.   Quite entertaining so far.

Old Folky
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Oh, To Kill a Mockingbird was an excellent read.  I am reading In The Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike.  So far, quite good.  He's an author (along with Saul Bellow) who I've always wanted to like, but while the writing has been impressive, the entertainment value less so.  I think I may not have given Mr. Updike a fair shake, for this one is both thought provoking and entertaining.  It's sort of an exegesis on the existence of God and faith as it affects humanity, told, of course, through fictional characters and their internal/external struggles.

Just started Liberty and Tyranny....Levin.  So far, a real good read.

Just finished "Guests Of The Ayatollah" by Mark Bowden, author of "Blackhawk Down."
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

All the harry potter books are done.
2002 Yamaha F310-TBS (Sandy/K&K PWM)
2008 Larrivee D-03R (Luna/K&K PWM)

I've just finished "Truth Is Stranger Than Business" - the autobiography of Alton Delmore. If you want to get a feel for what it was like to be a country musician in the 1920s and 1930s, have a read. Fascinating stuff.

Romans,both Corinthians,Galatians and started on Ephesians.

dependan: That's some good reading there.

I'm on a poetry kick of late and have been reading lots of Robert Frost and William Blake.

I'm also reading Manalive by GK Chesterton.

In the middle of "Life on the Mississippi" by Twain.  Very entertaining, billed as a true (mostly) account of his early life & times

Quote from: the creature on July 28, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
dependan: That's some good reading there.

I'm on a poetry kick of late and have been reading lots of Robert Frost and William Blake.

I'm also reading Manalive by GK Chesterton.
I just finished Ephesians and Philippians and will just continue on thru Revelation. Then start back at Matthew.    A necessary daily requirement for me.

Quote from: dependan on July 28, 2009, 07:32:47 PM
  I just finished Ephesians and Philippians and will just continue on thru Revelation. Then start back at Matthew.    A necessary daily requirement for me.
I'm in the middle of Matthew right now myself.

...on last 30 pages of "Belching Out the Devil" by Mark Thomas (a UK satirist) on the activities of the Coca Cola corporation in 3rd world countries.

About to start "Making History" by Stepen Fry (actor, plays Jeeves in the TV series "Jeeves and Wooster" and many other things, panel show host, writer, documentary chap.... your basic renaissance man...).

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

I usually read historical fiction but after just seeing the movie "Get Shorty" I read the book by Elmore Leonard and am now reading "Maximum Bob". I like the eclectic cast of characters in his books.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Recently started "Big Box Swindle"..interesting book about how mega-giant corporate retailers are impacting the economic and social culture around the world.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Currently:

A Simple Path by Mother Teresa

Inside, Outside by Herman Wouk.  So far, he's introducing too many new characters too quickly and I'm not developing enough interest in the ones I'm already familiar with.  We'll see.  That, I believe, is an oft-levied criticism of Tolstoy in War and Peace, which is a book on my to-be-read list.  If that's a quality I can't roll with, maybe War and Peace will not never be completed.  Has anyone here read War and Peace and liked it?

Quote from: ryler on August 13, 2009, 04:06:31 PM
  Has anyone here read War and Peace and liked it?
It's on my list of things to do before I die.

Quote from: the creature on August 14, 2009, 09:08:43 AM
It's on my list of things to do before I die.

Creature, it might just take from now until you die to finish it.  I'd get going if I were you.   :bgrin: