Main Forums => Technique & Playing => Topic started by: jpmist on October 03, 2026, 04:50:53 PM

Title: Song for Fred - Caroline Marie Brooks Part one
Post by: jpmist on October 03, 2026, 04:50:53 PM
A group I stumbled on in the last 5 years is "The Good Lovelies". "Let the Rain Fall" was the album that caught my ear. They are a Canadian group that tours there and seem reasonably successful. These 3 gals have an amazingly tight 3 part harmony style and some nice upbeat pop acoustic tunes. Here's a favorite posted on BandCamp, track #2 "Free" (https://goodlovelies.bandcamp.com/album/let-the-rain-fall)

One of the 3 gals, Carol Marie Brooks, put out a solo album and from that I got the track "Song for Fred" (https://carolinemariebrooks.bandcamp.com/track/song-for-fred-instrumental) Seems like such a simple acoustic instrumental but it vexed me quite a while in figuring out how she plays it. Posted it on AGF and got some suggestions, but it wasn't until I stumbled on Caroline on Facebook and had the nerve to ask where on the neck she plays the dang thing and to my amazement she replied. I'll give it a week to reveal in case any of you want to try it out.

Listen with headphones and you'll hear two guitars, left & right, with the left carrying the main melody and rhythm. The right does harmony and accent melodies and covers over the left such that I had a hard time with figuring the left side out.

Last month I hit her up again on FB and she was kind enough to take time out of her day to offer me a 3 minute tutorial of her playing the main parts of the song. OMG was I blown away! I've babbled long enough here so I won't launch into how different her style of play is to mine, but my question to you guys is how unusual is this?

Have any of you guys had an artist you follow do anything similar?