Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LR Baggs vs B-band vs K&K vs Prefix  (Read 1936 times)
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:09:58 AM »

I've owned and played guitars with all of these EXCEPT the B-band.  I found the LR Baggs IMix the best of the bunch.  It's spendy ($260 for the onboard, $230 for the internal system).

I'm in the process of deciding on which pickup to install on 000-15S and my new/old OM-03R Larri.

The 000-15S had a K&K Pure Western that didn't do anything for me.  Even through the K&K Preamp, the B string was too hot.  It's probably the impedence between the system and the amp.  Anyway, I'm not buying a new amp for the pickup system.  The K&K pre did what pre's are supposed to do.  But I've found that control knobs on pre's are either, 1) too small, 2) on the wrong side and/or, 3) too close together.

I'm interested in your opinions on the quality of reproduction, comparing different pickups you've owned or played.  Don't forget to mention which guitar model and the tonewood of the guitar as this has some bearing on the performance of the pickup. 

Thank you.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
aschroeder

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:39:51 PM »

I have the B-Band A2.2 on my Larry D-03 (Spruce/Mahogany). It does a nice job of reproducing the sound without feedback. I personally wouldn't go with the UST or the AST as a single pickup. By themselves, they both lack something. But, blended together they sound great.

I have the preamp tweaked more to the UST side since the AST can be a bit harsh. Basically the combo gives you a piezo sound with some warmth added from the AST.

I have never tried the IMix or the K&K so I can't compare to these.

Taylor 714ce (Cedar top)
Taylor Koa T5 Custom
Larrivee D-03
Washburn Taurus T-25 Bass

Isaiah 38:20 The LORD will save me, and we will sing with stringed instruments all the days of our lives in the temple of the LORD.
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 11:40:54 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I was biginning to think I had bad breath!!  LOL

Blending seems to be the better sound for me also.  I don't know much about B-band pickups but I know that by blending the I-beam with the element (Piezo) and then tweaking the treble and bass just a little. . . .well, it sounds almost like a condenser mic.  Very nice.

The K&K and Prefix systems do ok.  They just seem to lack something to my ears.  The best Prefix I've played through was the Premium. . .again a blending of pickups: this time a microphone and piezo.

The Taylor ES didn't do anything at all for me.  Somewhat quacky even with the juiced up XLR impedence issues.  I'd much prefer the Prefix Premium.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
danerada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:00:18 PM »

I have the I-Beam active pickup in my D-09 (Rosewood/Spruce). It has a great sound, really natural -  but it is very hot...feedback monster. I bought the LR Baggs Feedback Master and that did the trick for me. I play it througha Kustom Sienna 65 Acoustic amp. I will let you know what I think of the K&K mini after I install it in my L-03K.

Forum II # 8 of 10
parsky1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »

I have the I-Mix in my LV-05,  I too think blending two pickups really sounds good.  The element has a piezo sound to it but adding the I-beam in the mix really softens the harshness.  The element doesn't feedback as easily as the I-beam, but I usually use a feedback buster soundhole plug.

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:39:05 AM »

I have a B-band UST active pre-amp pickup, and I am surprised at how natural sounding it is when plugged in. More so than my Fishman Natural 1 even.

Jeff

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: