Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Pearse Strings Vs. D'Addario (Audio Clips/photos--Yamaha FG-512)  (Read 4747 times)
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:17:59 AM »

I must preface subsequent statements by saying that the d'addario's were older and (in my opinion) needing to be replaced.  The two audio clips do show an audible contrast to one another.  The d'addario's lights yield a more blunty, yet throaty tone, while the pearse lights yield heavenly high tones and smooth transitions (whatever than means)

This is the guitar we are discussing:

See for yourself (audio clips):

D'Addario Lights (coated)
http://oregonstate.edu/~hughsonm/Yamaha%20FG-512--non-pearse.mp3

John Pearse Lights (uncoated)
http://oregonstate.edu/~hughsonm/Yamaha%20FG-512%20-pearse.mp3

I welcome opinions

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:29:06 AM »

I just had the action lowered and a corian nut/saddle installed....so I'll add a sound clip tomorrow to see how that changes the sound...as compared to the pearse and plastic nut and saddle.

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »

Wow, this is a wonderful comparison. First off, that is a great guitar you have there. Very nice sound.
Usually I am all over the John Pearse strings and I've used them on my mandolin as well--great strings.
On the other hand, it is hard to beat D'Addario for the value and sound. They don't sound that worn to me.
I haven't tried the JP's on my 12 string Taylor yet. I will have to pick up a set. Right now I have GHS's on it and they sound great. I like the longevity of Elixers, but I think you can get better sound with Dean Markleys.
I'll be interested to see what some of the longtime players like Ducktrapper, Denis and Unclrob think about the comparison files you made.
I love this kind of stuff--good job.
Fred
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »

it seems the fair comparison would be to do this again with a new set of D'addario's. (you mentioned they were old to start with)    I have been buying my Pearse Phosphor's by the box for nearly 15 years now.  I haven't found any other strings that sounds as good.  For me, they also last longer than any non-coated strings (I can't stand the sound of the coated strings personally)   That said, I have had some inconsistency in the quality control of late with the Pearse.   For example, within the same set of strings, I've had wound strings that were visibly darker and lighter in color comparatively, which tells me you are getting some strings that have been sitting around for a while.   This is the reason I buy them in a SEALED box of 12 sets......to make sure they are fresh.  I guess I can't count on that any more.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:26:07 PM »

Hey Fitness, not to break up the thread, but did you know that you can e-mail John Pearse and he will reply?
You might let him know about that.
I asked him about mandolin strings one time and he replied. He's a very nice guy. He used to hang out on the gutiar.acoustic discussion list that I access through Google Groups.
I watch where I buy strings since I had a longtime Martin tech tell me that they can go "stale" on the shelf.
I need to try the 12 string JP's though. I love them on my Weber mandolin and my Santa Cruz--they seem taylor made for the Cruz.
--Fred
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »

Hey Fitness, not to break up the thread, but did you know that you can e-mail John Pearse and he will reply?
You might let him know about that.

I did contact the company (Breezy Ridge or something like that)  once when I had some incomplete sets in a box.  They sent replacements out immediately (and some extras if I remember right)   a few weeks later when I bought a new box is when I got the wound strings that were obviously from different "vintage" and emailed them to let them know.....I got no response.....I told them I wasn't looking for another replacement, but I just thought I'd let them know....

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 06:08:27 PM »

I need to mention that the D'Addarrio's were coated!  PM me if you guys would like to know a place that you can get strings (even individual sets) at a great price.  I purchased an individual set of JP 12's including shipping for only $10.  And, the more you buy the cheaper they get.  They sell John pearse (every type), elixir (every type) and D'Addario (every type) with free shipping regardless of the number you buy....1 or 100...

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 02:57:11 AM »

Here is a comparison between pearse strings with plastic nut and saddle and the same pearse strings with a bone nut and saddle installed.

JP Lights (plastic):

http://oregonstate.edu/~hughsonm/Yamaha%20FG-512%20-pearse.mp3

JP lights (compensated bone):

http://oregonstate.edu/~hughsonm/Yamaha%20FG-512--pearse%20and%20bone.mp3

I notice more sustain with the bone one...but not sure I like the sound more...

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:13:42 AM »

Very cool comparison, didymus21!  There has been so much talk on every forum about plastic vs bone saddles and nuts, but I've never heard a before and after comparison.  Asuming all other things were equal I hear a lot more sustain, too.  Kinda hard to tell about tone though.  I'm really glad you did this as I've been on the fence for over a year about trying bone.  Almost sorry to say I think this has conviced me NOT to do it.  I play mostly blues, country blues, and ragtime - lots of finger picking where you really don't want too much sustain. It gets in the way.  I want my notes to ring out strong and then go away!  I got rid of my Martin OM-28V becuase the bass notes wouldn't decay quickly enough(plus a couple other reasons).  My current stable is working for me, I don't think I'm going to mess with it.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do that.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 04:32:53 AM »

Very cool comparison, didymus21!  There has been so much talk on every forum about plastic vs bone saddles and nuts, but I've never heard a before and after comparison.  Asuming all other things were equal I hear a lot more sustain, too.  Kinda hard to tell about tone though.  I'm really glad you did this as I've been on the fence for over a year about trying bone.  Almost sorry to say I think this has conviced me NOT to do it.  I play mostly blues, country blues, and ragtime - lots of finger picking where you really don't want too much sustain. It gets in the way.  I want my notes to ring out strong and then go away!  I got rid of my Martin OM-28V becuase the bass notes wouldn't decay quickly enough(plus a couple other reasons).  My current stable is working for me, I don't think I'm going to mess with it.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do that.

Gladly done...and as much as I could control it...all things were the same (except for lowering the action).  I'll be adding another post comparing FWI saddle and nut conversion from the stock larrivee composites.

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 11:44:34 AM »

This is very cool. Like Dberch, I am not sure I like the bone saddle and nut that much better than the stock set up. One thing for sure, you found the right strings for that guitar. It would be interesting to try some different strings with the bone and compare that.
I am hearing some better sustain in the Bone set-up, but sometimes the overtones cover up the "driving" 12 string sound I hear in the first recording.
I once asked Brian T. up in Canada about Bone vs. Tusq saddles. He told me the jury is still out on Larrivees and on most guitars he prefers the Tusq. I had a sweet Tacoma Koa body, spruce top parlor that I had set up with a bone saddle and I think it lost something in the process--the sound wasn't the same.
Thanks for doing this comparison. I'm sure you put some time into it.
--Fred
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »

This is very cool. Like Dberch, I am not sure I like the bone saddle and nut that much better than the stock set up. One thing for sure, you found the right strings for that guitar. It would be interesting to try some different strings with the bone and compare that.
I am hearing some better sustain in the Bone set-up, but sometimes the overtones cover up the "driving" 12 string sound I hear in the first recording.
I once asked Brian T. up in Canada about Bone vs. Tusq saddles. He told me the jury is still out on Larrivees and on most guitars he prefers the Tusq. I had a sweet Tacoma Koa body, spruce top parlor that I had set up with a bone saddle and I think it lost something in the process--the sound wasn't the same.
Thanks for doing this comparison. I'm sure you put some time into it.
--Fred

Time and money....haha...the funny thing (or not so funny) is that I originally brought my guitar in for TUSQ replacements...and he screwed up on something (or didn;t have the right size) so he put bone in instead for the same charge.  Kind of wishing it was tusq.....I agree that there are some harsh overtones now.  I'm gonna let the strings age a little and see what happens.

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »

....The overtones are a good "harsh!"
Plus, don't ever sell that Yamaha, it's a keeper. Great sound.
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 04:00:23 AM »

....The overtones are a good "harsh!"
Plus, don't ever sell that Yamaha, it's a keeper. Great sound.

Do you own any yamaha's yourself?

I don't plan to sell it...it does have a wonderful sound, and is very rare.  A 1978 in nearly mint condition is an amazing feat at that, plus it's one of very few models that utilized jacaranda, instead of EIRW.  Any clue what it'd be worth?

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print