I am concerned about Larrivee

Started by CF Larrivee, January 24, 2006, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So if I use my Visa to buy a new Larrivee the warranty is for two lifetimes?!?!??

Sounds like urban legend to me.

E. Shoaf

QuoteLet's give them all the help we canwith our customer input and continually standing up for what we believe is a good product.

Unless we don't agree because of past experience in 'Adopting' a couple of Larrivee guitars with problems.

LOL, I couldn't help myself!

Quote from: Ratishna on January 25, 2006, 05:44:45 PM
So if I use my Visa to buy a new Larrivee the warranty is for two lifetimes?!?!??

Sounds like urban legend to me.

E. Shoaf

It's actually true (at least with Visa), but only if the original warranty is one year or less.  One lifetime will have to do on a new Larrivee.  :GRN>

Zach

Quote from: Ratishna on January 25, 2006, 05:44:45 PM

It depends on your Visa card. Some banks that issue Visa or Mastercard offer an extended warranty for products that you purchase with that card. Not all Visa and Mastercards do. You have to check for your specific card.

Jim

Quote from: SteveK on January 25, 2006, 05:49:59 PM
Unless we don't agree because of past experience in 'Adopting' a couple of Larrivee guitars with problems.

Did you ever call Larrivee?

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on January 25, 2006, 07:52:19 PM
It depends on your Visa card. Some banks that issue Visa or Mastercard offer an extended warranty for products that you purchase with that card. Not all Visa and Mastercards do. You have to check for your specific card. Jim

Banks are members of the Mastercard and Visa system. The extended warranty is thru Visa and MC, not the bank.

All the most basic cards offer the warranty program:

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_warranty_mgr.html?it=il|/personal/cards/benefits/index.html|Warranty%20Manager%
20Service#anchor_4

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/guidetobenefits/index.html

Read the literature that comes with the card.

Quote from: Zach on January 25, 2006, 05:54:40 PM
It's actually true (at least with Visa), but only if the original warranty is one year or less.  One lifetime will have to do on a new Larrivee.  :GRN>

Funny, but alot of people have trouble with this credit card warranty extension concept. I was met by blank stares when I first broached it in a staff meeting several years ago and procurement had a hard time grasping it as well... strange.

Unclrob sounds like he is my kind of dealer, great customer service usually gets many repeats in business! I salute you!

Bill D.
Larrivee D-03RE
Yamaha DWX 7C
Fender TC-90" tele"
Fender "strat"
Ibanez AR200
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech RP 300
Fender Cyber deluxe amp

My customer service comes from 2 places.
#1. My grandfather told me to always stand behind your work or the product you sell.If you can't stand behind the work or the product don't do it and don't sell it.
#2. Treat people as friends and A*****e as A*****e.Treat people bad and your out of business,I go out of business and a lot of guitar shops will take a big hit if I can't buy guitars for myself. :GRN> :SHK>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

We've gone from Larrivee to credit cards .... didn't bank on that one. :mellow:
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote from: WVUBAMA on January 25, 2006, 08:52:53 PM
Banks are members of the Mastercard and Visa system. The extended warranty is thru Visa and MC, not the bank.

All the most basic cards offer the warranty program:

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_warranty_mgr.html?it=il|/personal/cards/benefits/index.html|Warranty%20Manager%
20Service#anchor_4

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/guidetobenefits/index.html

Read the literature that comes with the card.

If you are going to post a site to support your statements, make sure it actually supports what you state. From the site you cited:

"Please note: This benefit is available on all Visa Signature, Gold Visa check and Platinum Visa check cards. It may also be available on other card products. Check with your issuer to see if you have this benefit."

That quote spells out what cards the warranty is available with. It does not mention the basic Visa cards. Furthermore, it states "(This benefit may also be available on other card products. Check with your issuer to see if you qualify.)"

Now for the Mastercard site. It says "This information is intended only as a reference for benefits, services and coverages that may be available with your MasterCard card. This information does not guarantee coverage or coverage availability. You should contact the financial institution that has issued your card for complete and accurate details of the benefits you are eligible for."

The issuer is the bank r financial institution. And, as I said, it is up to the issuer to offer or not offer the warranty. Not all Visa and Mastercard cards offer extended warranty. It is up to the card issuer.

As for reading the literature that comes with the card, that literature is provided by the issuer (or bank) and outlines the benefits they offer.

Thanks for providing references to support my statement.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on January 26, 2006, 09:24:43 AM
If you are going to post a site to support your statements, make sure it actually supports what you state. From the site you cited:

"Please note: This benefit is available on all Visa Signature, Gold Visa check and Platinum Visa check cards. It may also be available on other card products. Check with your issuer to see if you have this benefit."

That quote spells out what cards the warranty is available with. It does not mention the basic Visa cards. Furthermore, it states "(This benefit may also be available on other card products. Check with your issuer to see if you qualify.)"

Now for the Mastercard site. It says "This information is intended only as a reference for benefits, services and coverages that may be available with your MasterCard card. This information does not guarantee coverage or coverage availability. You should contact the financial institution that has issued your card for complete and accurate details of the benefits you are eligible for."

The issuer is the bank r financial institution. And, as I said, it is up to the issuer to offer or not offer the warranty. Not all Visa and Mastercard cards offer extended warranty. It is up to the card issuer.

As for reading the literature that comes with the card, that literature is provided by the issuer (or bank) and outlines the benefits they offer.

Thanks for providing references to support my statement.

Jim

Balderdash and poppycock. Banks and the cards offer overlapping "benefits".

1. The only Visa cards that I could find w/o the warranty service are two newer ones available for people with bad credit and college students. Their  basic card offers warranty extension. You have to register your purchase and file claims thru Visa directly. It's on their site.

2. Now for Mastercard. The warranty claim service is not thru the bank, but thru Mastercard itself at 1-800 MC-ASSIST. Same as VISA register products and file claims thru MC. Call em and see if a banker answers the phone. MC has a contract with Virginia Surety, to provide this warranty service.

I have registered refrigerators, microwaves, DVD players... ect with MC and Visa over the past five years.

My warranty pamphlet is direct from VISA and MC, not one of my issuing banks. The fine print states: "ALL of these benefits apply to cardholders whose cards are issued by US financial institutions". The bank pamphlets make no mention of warranty service, but alot of other programs.

Cheeze! When is Little Brother getting his new DVD out?

Quote from: WVUBAMA on January 26, 2006, 04:29:58 PM
Balderdash and poppycock. Banks and the cards offer overlapping "benefits".

A direct quote from the MasterCard site you refered me to:

"You should contact the financial institution that has issued your card for complete and accurate details of the benefits you are eligible for.

Your card issuer can cancel benefits at any time and must notify you at least sixty (60) days in advance. "

That says it. It is up to the banks to decide what they offer.

Jim

CF Larrivee wrote:

Mikey ...

What else would you like to know about all this?

I wasn't suggesting that you had withheld any information, either about your instrument or your information from the dealer or from Larrivee, just that we can't know what's going on with the dealer or Larrivee, so it's best for you to continue to deal directly with them; any past experience we share with our particular Larrivee warranty issues will only reflect on the dealer we've dealt with, and our particular problem.

If your dealer has integrity, you can relax; the dealer and Larrivee will get your problem addressed in a way that will make you happy (even if it has been a hassle in the process!).

I hope that helps clear up my first statement...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

QuoteAm I seeing a pattern here? Is the quality control at the CA plant just not what it should be? With all the statements from others here about loose frets, sharp fret edges, binding strings, bridge saddles with almost no radius, cases that don't fit, etc., and now the woes with my L-09, as I stated earlier, I am loosing faith in Larrivee. I know all too well about mistakes happening in manufacturing. I make my living working mostly on Steinway pianos and they, too, have more their their fair share of quality control issues. I can understand mistakes happening, but I can't understand how they leave the factory with those mistakes. That is the same way I'm feeling about the Oxnard plant, now.

You've got the experience, CF. . . .in spades.  And I know firsthand your frustration.  As you know, I'm still waiting on my Martin custom twelve string:  commissioned September 2004, arrived September 05, returned September 05 and. . . .just recently I found out it was repaired BUT it is on 'cold hold'.  They won't ship unless the temps are above 32 F for travel time all along the route.  (Hello, April?  Ya, I'd like my guitar now.  Please.) ^_^

Actually, the quality control horror stories are relatively few compared to the folks who are ga-ga over their new baby.  Taylor guys are the worst about this obsession (Troll alert!).  But if it happens repeatedly to me and it's MY money, My time and MY frustration it takes on new dimensions.  Did I mention that my Martin was a CUSTOM guitar with quality control issue?

I will chime in with a few similar observations as yours on my OM-03R.  This guitar is two years old and hardly played.  The frets were rough and sharp, the saddle was a little loose and the radius noticeably askew.  The nut had excess material around the strings causing them to bind.  Eventually I'll replace both the nut and saddle with some other material.  I wonder if the Larrivee family builds these guitars this way to stay at a certain price point assuming that set-up is such a personal thing that buyers will likely set them up to their own specs and probably replace the saddle anyway. . .I don't know that. 

My OM-03R was recently set up.  I had the luthier dress and radius the frets, remove excess material from the nut, ramp the bridge, slot the bridgeplate and install some solid ebony pins.  It feels like an entirely new instrument.  Some of the stuff I had done could have been considered a warranty issue with the Larrivee family.  But, judging from my Martin experience, I will go to fairly great lengths to NOT send a guitar back to the factory for repairs.  The turn-around time is just stupid.

It would be great if you could end up with restored confidence in the Larrivee family and their products as I have experienced with my OM-03 twelve string case issue.  They were very responsive and I know of at least two people who also benefited by bringing the problem to their attention.  It'll be interesting to see how long it takes them to resolve the issues with your guitars.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

I've *never* seen a factory guitar that didn't need a detailed setup to get it right, at least to my expectations. Keep in mind too that guitars tend to be setup for the worst case scenario i.e. high action for bashers that don't play above the third fret. Face it, the majority of the demographic fits there and wouldn't really notice. If you're preferences are a bit more refined they likely figure that you're going to have it set up anyway or that the dealer will do a rudimentary setup for you. Granted, some things should have never been shipped but when you've got one guy doing final setup and stringing and the sales department is telling you that you *will* ship x number of guitars things fall through the crack especially around NAMM time.

QuoteGranted, some things should have never been shipped but when you've got one guy doing final setup and stringing and the sales department is telling you that you *will* ship x number of guitars things fall through the crack especially around NAMM time.

Absolutely.  And I too agree with your comments about set-up. 

The more particular and obsessive I get with guitars, the more I seem to expect.  I pay $600 for a guitar and it ain't perfect.  I expect that.  If I pay $2600 for a guitar (custom or otherwise) I expect a LOT more of everything. :wacko:

CF's concerns were for his specific instruments and, generally, for the reputation of the Larrivee family business.  Again, I'm looking forward to a happy ending at least with the quality control issues he cited.
Gretch 5120

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

YO!  CF!!

How goes the battle?
Gretch 5120

Hi,

Please let me share my experience. At first, I didn't want to talk about it, but this topic made me change my mind.   :SHK>

I bought my Larrivee OM03-R this August 2006. I completely trusted the dealer due to its 'great' reputation on the web. Unfortunately, I found a ding/hit on the back of the head :SHK>... The dealer assured me he checked completely the guitar.  :UND>

But come on... This ding didn't appear by magic. I saw it immediately, so how couldn't he see it ?? I'm really disappointed by this dealer... mostly because he was not honest enough to admit he didn't check the guitar. I'll never trust him again. What a shame for himself. 

Like said previously, it's MY money and i should expect a perfect guitar, it's my right... but well, some people can't be trustworthy.  :angry:

I wrote to Larrivée about this issue and this dealer when I sent my registration card. But i haven't heard anything from Larrivée. As i read above... if you go away with "your" problems they don't mind...

Don't trust people you don't know. Don't rely on what's told and written on the internet...

Just trust your eyes. Ask for detailed pictures. Don't hesitate. Don't make the same mistakes as me. "Stuff happens" as it was said previously so don't make it happen to YOU.   :POL>

This wasn't my first experience buying a guitar through internet but it was the first time something went wrong...

bye

This must be doubly frustrating considering you share the same name and all.  :humour: