Pickup for L-03?? what one?

Started by guitartom_ca, January 23, 2006, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am thinking about installing a pickup in my L-03.  What do you all think would be the best pickup system to get for this guitar?
Pickup system that set the EQ externally , or Pickup that have controls in Guitar. or added tuner?

Thanks

K&K Sound Pure Western mini.  ( http://www.kksound.com )  Around $90 and they are flat out great pickups for recording or live playing.  Very feedback resistant.  I have them on 3 guitars and am extremely pleased.  Can be purchased at several on-line dearlers or direct from K&K

You can hear mine recorded direct here - no microphone:
http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5113&hl=tahitian+skies
The link with no reverb was recorded flat, no EQ and no processing.

LR Baggs is also a favorite on this forum.  I'm sure you'll hear from some Baggs fans, too!

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

the KK look easy to install. what is a good external preamp to go with this pickup. or will i need one.

You may not need one.  I'd wait and see on that one.  K&K makes a good one (the Pure Preamp).  The LR Baggs Paracoustic DI is also very popular and gets rave reviews.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

I love the sound of my L05 fitted with an active LR Baggs iBeam.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I have happily used the IBeam active in my L since they were available, and installed one in my OM as well. They sound great.

I decided to try something different in my new Thomsley OM and went with a Schatten Artist. I think it sounds even better than the IBeam, for about the same price.

Customer service is excellent. I called them with some pre-purchase questions and they were very responsive and helpful.

http://www.schattendesign.com/HFN-Artist.htm
Ron

K&K pure western ....
Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible

Hey Ronmac, that looks interesting.  Love to hear it.  Can you record something direct for us?

I just found this on the Shatten site.  The Artist recorded direct and EQ'd:
http://www.schattendesign.com/Sound/schattenhfneq.mp3

Still love to hear yours to compare ronmac .... Whaddaya say?
www.davidberchtold.com

Will do. I am in the midst of experimenting with placement and changing strings.
Ron

Interesting looking pickup! It looks like it is priced about the same as an active iBeam as well.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

And made in Canada, eh!

I did a quick install of this last week and tried it through a small PA. It sounded very good. I was happy!!

Today I plugged it in to my sound card, MOTU 2408MK3, and it sounded like APOS. So I tried plugging it in to my PADI and it is slightly better. It is obvious that I have to reposition it to get the best balance between the highs and lows.

I will post a file, and installation notes, as soon as I finalize.

Now.. it's off to play a Robbie Burns gig, eat some haggis, drink a wee dram and listen to the drunks recite prose in a long ago version of our language.
Ron

I have an L-03 on the way, will the K&K be ok for medium-hard strumming in loud volume situations?
Esp. in terms of feedback.
Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode

Loud volume situations are not the best place for SBT type pickups (under bridge stick on), unless you have a good rig complete with parametric eq and don't need a lot of volume back in the monitors.

You would be better suited to go with a soundhole mag or piezo under saddle type.
Ron

K&K w/ a PADI works for me.

Zach

Quote from: mdrulez on January 27, 2006, 04:58:21 AM
I have an L-03 on the way, will the K&K be ok for medium-hard strumming in loud volume situations?
Esp. in terms of feedback.
If you are after good acoustic tone, then the answer is yes, K&K will work, but you might need a notch filter like the baggs Feedback Master.  Whit that one addition, you can get as loud as you want. 

Onthe other hand, If you're OK with the somewhat electric colored tone of soundhole humbucker type pickups, then they are much better at handling really loud situations.   I've never cared for that tone, and I aways hit the darn things with my thumbpick, so I don't use them, but they are extremely popular in loud/rock type situations.

Let us knwo what you decide on, and how it works for you. 
www.davidberchtold.com

The K&K is a good pickup, but as has been said before it can feedback under loud conditions.  The IBeam Active has the same tendency.  It seems to me that the more natural and microphonic the pickup, the greater the tendency to feedback under loud volume.  As for installation, the K&K looks easy, but from experience I can tell you it can be a pain.  I am never crazy about trying to work with superglue blind inside the guitar.  I have seen some folks make a wooden jig to help with installation, and I should probably do so since I have to install one about once a month.  The IBeam is way easier for a non-tech to install, imo.  Both are great pickups.  I would also look at the IMix, which Larrivee is now offering as their top-of-the-line pickup.  It has both the Element active, and IBeam active, and two thumbwheels to allow you to blend the sound.  I find it very versatile.  Under light, solo playing the IBeam is great.  If you crank it up or play in a band, roll off the Ibeam and bring in more of the Element, and you get good tone with less feedback.  The M1 is a good soundhole pickup also, but I still prefer the non-mag pickups when used as a "permanent" install.  If you want portability and ability to use in more than one guitar, the M1 active is hard to beat.  Unclrob is way more experienced than I though, so I would defer to his experience.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll stick w/ the K&K and hope it doesn't feedback too much
I'll have to use a PADI.
Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode