Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My trip to the Atlanta area...  (Read 481 times)
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »

I didn't get to go to Maple Street Guitars.   :<> :<>  I just didn't have enough time and it was on the other side of the city.

I did get to visit a number of other mom-and-pop/local stores.  Mostly all stuff I'd seen and played before with two exceptions...

One place had a Breedlove Focus D.  Spruce top, rosewood back/sides.  I had never played any kind of Breedlove.  I've never really like the looks of most of their line from pictures.  But I must say, they look better up close than in pictures.  And the sound was incredible!!  Nice playability, too.  Not sure it was worth the >$2000 price tag, though.

This same place also had a few Tanglewoods.  These are China-made guitars with very nice features for the money.  I had read a recent review in a magazine that was very complimentary.  I was really impressed with the TW15-NS that I played.  All-solid woods - Spruce top, mahogany back/sides.  Satin finish.  Very elegant and understated.  I didn't have a mirror to look inside, but the outside was flawless.  And the sound and playability was extremely pleasing!  If I recall correctly, the asking price was around $500.  I assume with a little haggling, it could have gone home for a little less.  I don't recall noting or asking if a case was included.  Overall, these instruments are very impressive.  I don't think I would choose it over a used Larrivee -03 series for a similar price.  But just imagine in a few years if these instruments sell really well, there would be used ones on the market.  Imagine being able to buy an all-solid wood guitar for ~$250!!  -_-

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
CF Larrivee

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 03:23:05 PM »

jmhyer ...

Too bad you didn't make it to maple Street. Anyway, I have a Focus with a cedar top/rosewoodcombination. Very enjoyable guitar to play, particularly amplified. I wasn't even aware they had come out with a spruce version. It would be  interesting to compare the two.

"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »

I'll bet you I was misinformed.  This probably was in fact cedar.  Sorry.

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »

I've played the Tanglewoods also very nice stuff.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »

I forgot to mention...

I saw a lone Guild D55 sunburst at one of the stores.  It looked beautiful hanging there on the wall...so I took it down.  It was a new one...made in Tacoma (I think).  Sounded great!  Fit and finish were perfect, with one exception.  The store had it on some cheap plastic-covered hanger.  Where the plastic had contacted both sides of the neck near the nut, the finish was completely eroded and destroyed.  What a shame!  I wanted to cry. :<>  I know it's been said here many times, but I'll reiterate it now...please be careful with stands and hangers.  You never know what will react poorly with your guitar's finish.

I also had my first chance to play one of the higher-end Yamaha acoustics.  This was an LL6.  It was nice, but didn't do a lot for me.  I liked the Tanglewood much better...and (if I recall correctly) they are similarly-priced...and the LL6 has laminate back/sides.

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: