Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin D-15 Custom/Spruce Top  (Read 1830 times)
zyx345

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:08:24 AM »

My 1st post on this awesome forum.  Thanks for having me.

Has anyone had experience with the Martin D-15 Custom/Spruce Top?

It seems to be a Musician's Friend exclusive. I'm torn between getting a used D-03R or the D-15 Rosewood.  I like a thicker neck profile. How does the Martin modified low oval neck compare to the Larrivee neck in thickness? 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=515888

Thanks
BillnhisD-03RE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:32:06 AM »

Hi z,

I`ve played both and for me it was the D-03R hands down. Try to play both guitars before laying down hard earned money, or you might buy something you wont like.

good luck,

Bill D.

Larrivee D-03RE
Yamaha DWX 7C
Fender TC-90" tele"
Fender "strat"
Ibanez AR200
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech RP 300
Fender Cyber deluxe amp
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:15:45 AM »

I agree with Bill and not because it's Larrivee vs Martin. The Martin D15&16 Rs I've played sounded muddy to me compared to the D-03R. Now if I could only afford an HD28 Marquis! :TON>

To my ears, Larrivees and Tacoma are the 2 best North American makers from a quality vs. price standpoint. Martins may have a better resale at least w/the 18s, 28s and up...

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:11:50 AM »

It seems to be a Musician's Friend exclusive. I'm torn between getting a used D-03R or the D-15 Rosewood.  I like a thicker neck profile. How does the Martin modified low oval neck compare to the Larrivee neck in thickness? 

I had one of the Musician's Friend custom D15s. I thought it sounded great but I sold mine because the neck was very thin. I am not taling about the nut width...that was 1-11/16, but the profile itself was too thin for my hands.

Jim
dadeedo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 03:30:44 AM »

Jim -- you mention the neck profile of the d15.  I'm wondering what the symptoms are of a neck being too shallow (if that's the right word -- we're both talking not about the nut width but the crosssection depth, I think) for one's hands?

I've heard other people mention that the shallower profiles work well for more classical-style thumb behind the neck, no palm on the neck playing and that the modeified v profile is better suited to thumb hanging on the fretboard edge and cowboy chording styles.  Does that seem right to you? 

When you mention the hand itself, I take it you mean something besides the playing style.  Is there something about hand size or shape (square v. elongated, index v. ring finger length etc)?  Any further specification would be appreciated, from you or others.   I've tried a few different profiles, some of which are more comfortable right away.  But I don't want to rule out something that I might be perfectly comfortable with with a little getting used to.

Thanks.
Darrell
pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 03:41:41 AM »

I like a thicker neck profile. How does the Martin modified low oval neck compare to the Larrivee neck in thickness? 
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=515888

The Larrivee should have a thicker neck profile.  This is exactly why I sold both an OM-21 and OM-16GTand got an OM-05.  Well, that and I think the Larrivee OM has a little more volume as well.  I was at a jam and couldn't hear my own Martin OM-16  in my hands, but I heard the Larry OM-05 straight across from me.  Sound dynamics  maybe played a small part, but not the whole story.  Like I said, that and the neck.
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »

you can order a D15 custom to your spec's if you chose to.. i did;

and my choices included a 12 fret body, and 1 & 3/4"Lo-pro neck that is almost indentical to my Larrivee OM19's

As to the sound.. the "A" frame braceing is very very diffrent from my "X" braced 50's D18, and "Symitrical" braceing of the Larrivee... it's siginature is sustain, sustain and a whole lot more sustain.. to paraphrase; "mesured by a calander not a clock"

MF have a 45 day return policy... try it out and see if it's strengths are a match for your style perhaps?

i  would agree that a D03 it isn't tho... that may or may not be a good thing, largely depending on how & what you play, and who you play with.

Let your ears judge.. if you are near Vancouver you are welcome to try mine out....

Ta,

d.
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:42:49 PM »

I think the D-15/spruce sounds great, but as someone already posted, the neck is really thin.  Try before you buy.

E. Shoaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: